So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 07:12 AM
So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
Are there any weak atheists here?

I don't claim any title or category. I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I prefer to call myself a rationalist.

The last website I joined, last year, would have none of it, and I ended up getting kicked off the site when I suggested a guy avoid my threads. I lasted a week. I found, all in all, that some atheists can be as provincial and pedantic as the stock religious types.

My submission is that the phenomenal is the tip of the iceberg and that the metaphysical underpins all observable reality. Certain people thought I was foolish.

My background is in the quantum mechanics of consciousness as promulgated by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Finally, all theistic religions are tragically false. There is no knowable form of any type of god. If there were, it would be known and accepted as the same thing on a wholesale level. Such a thing doesn't exist. If there were a god, it would not be a function of belief. It would be a common reality. There would be no need for any religions.

Further, to know that a god exists requires foreknowledge of what that god is - that we can identify it when we come in contact with it. Foreknowledge is an impossibility. Ergo: even if there were a god, we could not know it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Obie's post
21-09-2015, 07:28 AM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
Quote: "I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I prefer to call myself a rationalist."

It's interesting you put these two contradictory statements in this order.

Rational means accepting what is knowable, testable, observable.

Any existence past death is none of these.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 14 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Welcome to TTA.

(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  Are there any weak atheists here?

Yes. There's a mix, as you'd expect from any community.

(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  ... I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I'd be intrigued to hear a rational argument for that submission ... it strikes me as contradictory.

(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  ...
provincial and pedantic

Innocent of the former; guilty of the latter.
Sample size = 1

My submission is that the phenomenal is the tip of the iceberg and that the metaphysical underpins all observable reality. Certain people thought I was foolish.

My prediction: truescotsman and Girlyman are going to have fun with that.

Ergo: even if there were a god, we could not know it.

I guess that depends on the definition of a given god.

Welcome, again.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Evidence motherfucker, do you speak it?

Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 10 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Edited for misread - I'll keep the jackass part. Big Grin

Now that I have pontificated like a jackass, welcome!

A question; you're not the Obie I'm looking for, are you?

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 07:33 AM
(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  Are there any weak atheists here?

I don't claim any title or category. I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

The last website I joined, last year, would have none of it, and I ended up getting kicked off the site when I suggested a guy avoid my threads. I lasted a week. I found, all in all, that some atheists can be as provincial and pedantic as the stock religious types.

My background is in the quantum mechanics of consciousness as promulgated by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Finally, all theistic religions are tragically false. There is no knowable form of any type of god. If there were, it would be known and accepted as the same thing on a wholesale level. Such a thing doesn't exist. If there were a god, it would not be a function of belief. It would be a common reality. There would be no need for any religions.

Further, to know that a god exists requires foreknowledge of what that god is - that we can identify it when we come in contact with it. Foreknowledge is an impossibility. Ergo: even if there were a god, we could not know it.

I don't think you'll get too many to agree with you about consciousness separate from a brain and there are numerous threads that have debated this to the point I'm sick of the subject. The science simply is not there to back up the notion of duality.

I can agree with you that IF (a big if!) there is a god, there is no way that us humans could comprehend it. There's no way we could make even the most basic assumptions about it, would it be a force? Would it be the universe? Would it set the universe in motion than disappear completely, oblivious to human existence? Did it cease to exist after the universe was made?

We have no way to know about or even test this proposition, so it's best not to worry about it too much. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-09-2015, 07:34 AM
#fuckingmorondog.

Laugh out load

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 07:58 AM by DLJ.)
(21-09-2015 07:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quote: "I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I'm glad you find it interesting.

I don't expect you to catch up over night or soon, for that matter.

So what percent of this site is hard atheism? The kind of mindset that disavows the possibility for the continuation of consciousness?
21-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Oh dear Christ Facepalm Another clown who wants to spam links to their site.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 07:58 AM by DLJ.)
(21-09-2015 07:34 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quote: "I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I'm glad you find it interesting.

I don't expect you to catch up over night or soon, for that matter.

So what percent of this site is hard atheism? The kind of mindset that disavows the possibility for the continuation of consciousness?

I don't know what percentage of the forum is "hard atheist", but I can tell you that if you hope to have a chance at all to convince anyone of anything, you need to look up the definition of "scientific evidence" and stop posting Woo about black holes being the origin of consciousness. Drinking Beverage

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post