So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 12:17 PM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
(21-09-2015 12:13 PM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 12:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ... that doesn't follow.

Your hidden premise here is that all motion* constitutes or requires intelligence. You're going to have to do some work to justify that one.
(notwithstanding that you've either just declared non-intelligent life to not be alive, or else you've declared yeast to be intelligent; either would be problematic)

*motion is not a coherently defined physical term. Perhaps you mean interaction, which is.

It doesn't speak to organic life as exclusive. Yes, all motion is subject to intelligent principles that regulate and define it, thus, all that moves, is intelligent. All that exists, moves. All that exists is intelligent.

Evidence or GTFO

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-09-2015, 12:19 PM
(21-09-2015 12:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 11:58 AM)Obie Wrote:  I define life as motion bound by intelligence and/or intelligent functioning. And everything represents motion. Therefore all that can be shown to exist, represents life.

So, basically, your definitions of "life", "motion", and "intelligent" are all so broad and so at odds with conventional usage as to be worthless.

You may assign a value as you wish. I've stated it over a few times. Everything represents life - intelligent functioning - matter and energy in motion. Yes, it is a broad category. It includes everything.
21-09-2015, 12:25 PM
(21-09-2015 12:19 PM)Obie Wrote:  You may assign a value as you wish. I've stated it over a few times. Everything represents life - intelligent functioning - matter and energy in motion. Yes, it is a broad category. It includes everything.

Yes.

And, thus, it is worthless.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
21-09-2015, 12:42 PM
(21-09-2015 12:13 PM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 12:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ... that doesn't follow.

Your hidden premise here is that all motion* constitutes or requires intelligence. You're going to have to do some work to justify that one.
(notwithstanding that you've either just declared non-intelligent life to not be alive, or else you've declared yeast to be intelligent; either would be problematic)

*motion is not a coherently defined physical term. Perhaps you mean interaction, which is.

It doesn't speak to organic life as exclusive. Yes, all motion is subject to intelligent principles that regulate and define it, thus, all that moves, is intelligent. All that exists, moves. All that exists is intelligent.

We'll just go ahead and ignore the part where "motion" remains an ill-defined term. Although once again I'll give you the chance to either define it or choose another.

Your claim is extraordinary and without substantiation. There is no compelling reason for anyone else to so much as consider it, let alone accept it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-09-2015, 12:43 PM
(21-09-2015 12:19 PM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 12:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  So, basically, your definitions of "life", "motion", and "intelligent" are all so broad and so at odds with conventional usage as to be worthless.

You may assign a value as you wish. I've stated it over a few times. Everything represents life - intelligent functioning - matter and energy in motion. Yes, it is a broad category. It includes everything.

Yes, yes, you've stated this claim several times... we read it the first time. What you seem to be lacking is verifiable evidence of any such thing. Sooo....

Evidence or GTFO

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-09-2015, 01:06 PM
(21-09-2015 12:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 12:13 PM)Obie Wrote:  It doesn't speak to organic life as exclusive. Yes, all motion is subject to intelligent principles that regulate and define it, thus, all that moves, is intelligent. All that exists, moves. All that exists is intelligent.

We'll just go ahead and ignore the part where "motion" remains an ill-defined term. Although once again I'll give you the chance to either define it or choose another.

Your claim is extraordinary and without substantiation. There is no compelling reason for anyone else to so much as consider it, let alone accept it.

What we have observed and learned today that sharing a common understanding that assertions for a god are unfounded and baseless account for naught on an atheist website. That it is of paramount value that all agree that we are but dust and that our consciousness does not continue to evolve. This notion is patently more upsetting and divisive than anything, including assertions for a god. If anyone might review my initial post, it was quite measured and benign. Yes, I was testing the waters before I submerged myself into this site. And as unfolded the last time I entered such a site, all hell broke loose. Spare me all the instant retorts. Go back and actually read what I offered and consider why and how it lead to all the entropy and vitriol. I have all I need at this point to assure myself that my experiment is over. It's good you all get along and mostly agree. I bid you adieu.
21-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Dammit cjlr, you chased him away! Sadcryface2

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 01:19 PM
(21-09-2015 01:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 12:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  We'll just go ahead and ignore the part where "motion" remains an ill-defined term. Although once again I'll give you the chance to either define it or choose another.

What we have observed and learned today that sharing a common understanding that assertions for a god are unfounded and baseless account for naught on an atheist website. That it is of paramount value that all agree that we are but dust and that our consciousness does not continue to evolve. This notion is patently more upsetting and divisive than anything, including assertions for a god. If anyone might review my initial post, it was quite measured and benign. Yes, I was testing the waters before I submerged myself into this site. And as unfolded the last time I entered such a site, all hell broke loose. Spare me all the instant retorts. Go back and actually read what I offered and consider why and how it lead to all the entropy and vitriol. I have all I need at this point to assure myself that my experiment is over. It's good you all get along and mostly agree. I bid you adieu.

Bye, Felicia.

21-09-2015, 01:23 PM
(21-09-2015 01:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  What we have observed and learned today that sharing a common understanding that assertions for a god are unfounded and baseless account for naught on an atheist website. That it is of paramount value that all agree that we are but dust and that our consciousness does not continue to evolve. This notion is patently more upsetting and divisive than anything, including assertions for a god.

At best, appeal to consequences (lol at "more upsetting" counting for anything). At worst it's just incoherent.

(21-09-2015 01:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  If anyone might review my initial post, it was quite measured and benign. Yes, I was testing the waters before I submerged myself into this site. And as unfolded the last time I entered such a site, all hell broke loose. Spare me all the instant retorts. Go back and actually read what I offered and consider why and how it lead to all the entropy and vitriol.

Well, I can certainly say that's not what "entropy" means...

I was pretty calm and measured, actually. Some others weren't, but that only makes me wonder why you said this in a reply to me as opposed to, you know, them. Asking you to define your terms is by no stretch of the imagination "vitriolic".

(21-09-2015 01:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  I have all I need at this point to assure myself that my experiment is over. It's good you all get along and mostly agree. I bid you adieu.

Well, that dumbfuck trainwreck fizzled out about as incompetently as we all could have predicted.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-09-2015, 01:24 PM
(21-09-2015 01:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  Go back and actually read what I offered and consider why and how it lead to all the entropy and vitriol.

You offered nothing but personal opinion and anecdote.

Quote:I bid you adieu.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post