So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 07:38 AM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
From polls and threads on the past, this place with many of it's posters tend to be higher in the weak/agnostic-atheist category. There are of course some strong atheists and members here of the theists & of other proclamations.

For whatever reason or another this is the case. My conclusion though not definitively a great assessment, is that it is the case due to often a skeptical based nature of this atheist community here connected via the podcast/community type approach by this website(though plenty here have no connection to it and are merely here for it being an atheist forum)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-09-2015, 07:40 AM
(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  My background is in the quantum mechanics of consciousness as promulgated by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

What is the good Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's spin? That is the question.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-09-2015, 07:44 AM
(21-09-2015 07:34 AM)Obie Wrote:  So what percent of this site is hard atheism?

Can't speak for everyone else, but my atheism is getting hard right now. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 07:46 AM
(21-09-2015 07:34 AM)Obie Wrote:  So what percent of this site is hard atheism? The kind of mindset that disavows the possibility for the continuation of consciousness?

I don't think anyone can honestly give you a number. There's a mix; that's all we can say with certainty.

I don't think the question of continuing consciousness has anything to do with strong/weak atheism. I've always considered strong atheism to claim that there is certainly no god and I can prove it, and weak atheism to claim that there's probably no god and there is no evidence to prove it.

If I had to guess, I'd say the majority here would think continuing consciousness is bullshit, but I have no evidence to support that claim.
[+] 4 users Like mediocrates's post
21-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Welcome to TTA. First, I'd have to agree with onlinebiker and DLJ regarding you considering yourself a rationalist. Second, it sounds like you're a gnostic atheist, but also a dualist. I think you'll find here that there are people who will strongly refute your claims, some who do so in a respectful manner, and some who even agree with you (although, I think most who share your views on dualism will be theists). I wouldn't take it personally if someone refutes with an accompaniment of some harsh words. Some people here are just like that, and some are very kind, regardless of your beliefs. However, if you show nothing at all to back up your claims, I think you'll have a rough time here... Lol. So, again, welcome to to the forum, and good luck. Smile
[+] 4 users Like EppurSiMuove's post
21-09-2015, 07:47 AM
(21-09-2015 07:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Can't speak for everyone else, but my atheism is getting hard right now. Big Grin

Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes mediocrates's post
21-09-2015, 07:48 AM
The problem is I don't think continuing consciousness has anything to do with value-added beyond softening the fear of death with happy hippy bullshit.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 08:01 AM by DLJ.)
(21-09-2015 07:38 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:34 AM)Obie Wrote:  I'm glad you find it interesting.

I don't expect you to catch up over night or soon, for that matter.

So what percent of this site is hard atheism? The kind of mindset that disavows the possibility for the continuation of consciousness?

I don't know what percentage of the forum is "hard atheist", but I can tell you that if you hope to have a chance at all to convince anyone of anything, you need to look up the definition of "scientific evidence" and stop posting Woo about black holes being the origin of consciousness. Drinking Beverage

So I'm getting the feeling that atheist websites are the same. They all share the same presumptions that if it cannot be located and observed then it can't exist?

Is that rational?

Doesn't it beg several questions such as the limits of our powers to know and to dissect? Of our type of consciousness and its inherent limits? Of the maxim that just because we have yet to discover something that it cannot yet exist?

Max Plank, the supposed father of quantum physics postulated that the unified field and consciousness are one in the same.

There are videos on youtube by Dr John Hagelin, a quantum physicist, supporting this.

It is quite easy to conclude that we are nothing beyond dust. I find that quite lacking and debatable.

https://www.mum.edu/wp-content/uploads/2...agelin.pdf
21-09-2015, 07:58 AM
(21-09-2015 07:53 AM)Obie Wrote:  So I'm getting the feeling that atheist websites are the same. They all share the same presumptions that if it cannot be located and observed then it can't exist?

Is that rational?

Everything that has ever been observed and measured has been proven to exist. Everything that has never been observed and measured has not been proven to exist.

That's how I see it. That is rational. It doesn't say that anything cannot exist.
[+] 2 users Like mediocrates's post
21-09-2015, 07:59 AM
(21-09-2015 07:38 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  From polls and threads on the past, this place with many of it's posters tend to be higher in the weak/agnostic-atheist category. There are of course some strong atheists and members here of the theists & of other proclamations.

For whatever reason or another this is the case. My conclusion though not definitively a great assessment, is that it is the case due to often a skeptical based nature of this atheist community here connected via the podcast/community type approach by this website(though plenty here have no connection to it and are merely here for it being an atheist forum)

I'm receiving the push back I expected. If I were to flat out tell everyone they are wrong, it would of course earn me a quick exit. Some positions are the product of long evolution and gaining subtle insight through soul maturation and extensive experience. I find knee jerk responses to be as pedantic and the fundamental religious arguments which are but blind assertions. But then , this is my first day, so I'll take it slowly and with many grains of salt. Thanks.