So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2015 06:09 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
(25-09-2015 05:24 PM)Obie Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 04:59 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  Again with more unsupported claims, with words stung together as if they have some higher meaning, describing nothing.

"Deepities" as Daniel Dennett would describe them.

Why should we believe any of that? Why should be believe any of that is even possible?

I appreciate the incredible component of what I offer - which is why I have suggested that people go to youtube and watch the eleven minute video by Dr.John Hagelin entitled Consciousness Part 1. He is a quantum physicist who is aligned with the TM movement, which I was also aligned with for 28 years - making such assertions that I have no idea what I am talking about a bit absurd. Deepak Chopra also cut his teeth on Maharishi's teachings - which is why I may sound like Deepak - only he does not give credit any more to where he derived his knowledge.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah buddy do the hoppity hop, do the hoppity hop...I mean um...levitating

Blink

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2015, 05:35 PM
(25-09-2015 05:24 PM)Obie Wrote:  I appreciate the incredible component of what I offer - which is why I have suggested that people go to youtube and watch the eleven minute video by Dr.John Hagelin entitled Consciousness Part 1.

Hagelin is a crank. No one cares about the video.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
25-09-2015, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2015 06:17 PM by Simon Moon.)
(25-09-2015 05:35 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 05:24 PM)Obie Wrote:  I appreciate the incredible component of what I offer - which is why I have suggested that people go to youtube and watch the eleven minute video by Dr.John Hagelin entitled Consciousness Part 1.

Hagelin is a crank. No one cares about the video.

Yeah, I've been reading a bit about Hagelin.

Seems that he is a quite accomplished physicist, that has made some pretty important contributions to String Theory.

Problem is, he has nothing to support any of his research into "Unified Field of Conscientiousness". The fact that they are both physicists does not offer a shred of credibility to their claims.

Some interesting stuff here -

Falling Down the TM Rabbithole

Bottom line, Hagelin's claims of a "unified field of consciousness" are no more credible than Newton's extensive writings on alchemy.
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
25-09-2015, 09:06 PM
As I've said, I'm not an apologist for the TM movement and I would not state what I have stated without the credible experience I have amassed. I cannot speak to a lot in that article except for two key points. First, TM and the TM organization has absolutely zero to do with cult indoctrination. That is epically silly. There is no central teaching or requirements or any type of allegiance to anyone or anything. I am the most sensitive person I know when it comes to any type of outside influence efforting to mold my thinking or behavior. It simply doesn't exist at all with TM. It's a meditation technique. A mental technique practiced twice daily. Period. End of story. Next, the commentary regarding the efficacy of the technique is patently ignorant. The technique is unique and it really works. But you cannot possibly have any idea what it is nor how it works nor its effects without being initiated in the technique - which amounts to being given a mantra by a qualified instructor. TM makes use of the mind's natural ability and desire to settle down and to experience finer and finer levels of functioning. The mantra is the vehicle that creates the angle for a particular mind to make that decent. The level of rest achieved is twice that of the deepest sleep. And the benefits are many. Yes, many of the peer review studies were sponsored by the movement, but at least 25 of the most credible studies were not and were completely independent. There are some things in life that you cannot possibly know what you are talking about without getting involved and trying it. This is one of them.
25-09-2015, 09:08 PM
(25-09-2015 09:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  The technique is unique and it really works. But you cannot possibly have any idea what it is nor how it works nor its effects without being initiated in the technique - which amounts to being given a mantra by a qualified instructor.

Faith healing really works. You just can't see its effects because you don't believe strongly enough.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
26-09-2015, 12:46 AM
(25-09-2015 04:50 PM)Obie Wrote:  You of course would be epistemologically well-supported in your statement, and I have no reasonable case to oppose it - but I feel I have a somewhat rational one given my experience with the quantum physics of consciousness - as I might hypothesize that inasmuch as anything and everything first has to exist as a potentiality, that the potentiality for what happened on Sept 11th was a possibility that was vibrating with such probability on Sept 10th that my consciousness attuned to it at a very sublime level wherein I had a strong feeling without a specific knowing of what was going to happen or where.

Word salad. Tedious tedious word salad.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
26-09-2015, 01:58 AM
(25-09-2015 09:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  As I've said, I'm not an apologist for the TM movement and I would not state what I have stated without the credible experience I have amassed. I cannot speak to a lot in that article except for two key points. First, TM and the TM organization has absolutely zero to do with cult indoctrination. That is epically silly. There is no central teaching or requirements or any type of allegiance to anyone or anything. I am the most sensitive person I know when it comes to any type of outside influence efforting to mold my thinking or behavior. It simply doesn't exist at all with TM. It's a meditation technique. A mental technique practiced twice daily. Period. End of story. Next, the commentary regarding the efficacy of the technique is patently ignorant. The technique is unique and it really works. But you cannot possibly have any idea what it is nor how it works nor its effects without being initiated in the technique - which amounts to being given a mantra by a qualified instructor. TM makes use of the mind's natural ability and desire to settle down and to experience finer and finer levels of functioning. The mantra is the vehicle that creates the angle for a particular mind to make that decent. The level of rest achieved is twice that of the deepest sleep. And the benefits are many. Yes, many of the peer review studies were sponsored by the movement, but at least 25 of the most credible studies were not and were completely independent. There are some things in life that you cannot possibly know what you are talking about without getting involved and trying it. This is one of them.

We can do this too. Check it out.

They also resort to ad hoc, separate combination of terms for consideration based on situational advantage. It's evolutionists that can't keep track of their terms in scientific history! You've been shown to the contrary repeatedly but just don't want to believe it. WHAT EVOLUTIONISTS ARE DOING HERE IS ESSENTIALLY NAGGING US OVER SOME HISTORICALLY ARBITRARY DISTINCTIONS MADE IN THE USE OF A TERM IN A FEW SCIENTIFIC FIELDS. THEY ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT MALIGNMENT OF A SACRED COWS, TOO: ORIGINS. MORE IMPORTANTLY, HERE THEY ARE ENGAGING IN THE PRACTICE OF MISCONSTRUING FORMAL DEFINITIONS OF SCIENTIFIC TERMS WITH THE RHETORICAL ACTIVITY OF DIFFERENTIATING OVERLAPPING, RELATED TERMS WHERE THEY EXIST IN CLOSE OR POTENTIALLY CONFLICTING SEMANTIC SPACE/DOMAIN AND MUST GET USED IN TEXTUAL PROXIMITY!

Science is not simply this evolution dogma. It also shows that lies for diversion from thread titles make up a large part of the real estate in evolutionists' judgments in them. FOR THEM, THAT WOULD ONLY BE DISCUSSING THEIR VIEWS NON SEQUITUR. You would never stand for an objective alternative test, would you- you'd never let the research design get past the causal inferencing stages.

It also has a lot to do with causal attribution. There is no such noble rule or presiding romantic notion to be found undergirding evolutionary science, or anywhere else I have except in an individual's own pristine ideals. HE REDUCED IT DOWN IN EQUIVALENCE TO ONE OF MY OWN ERSTWHILE ATTRIBUTIONS OF COMEDY IN ORDER TO SET UP AN IRONY ON HIS OWN.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-09-2015, 08:00 AM
(21-09-2015 07:53 AM)Obie Wrote:  They all share the same presumptions that if it cannot be located and observed then it can't exist?

Is that rational?

It's not a presumption, it's how we can find out facts about reality. If you didn't observe something, why believe in it?

Note that observe does not mean using your eyes, I mean, verifying something through any means.

If we found out tomorrow that there is a consciousness without a brain, you'd still be wrong to think that it's possible NOW that we don't have such evidence. So until something is proven to be the case, it's more reasonable and honest to withhold judgement.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
27-09-2015, 08:17 AM
(25-09-2015 09:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  But you cannot possibly have any idea what it is nor how it works nor its effects without being initiated in the technique - which amounts to being given a mantra by a qualified instructor.
Which is exactly the point at which I quit looking into TM. 180 degree turn right there. No way am I paying $1,000 for a nonsense syllable, especially when I have dozens already. Oggah-boogah. Kroznill. Fognard.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
27-09-2015, 09:33 AM
(25-09-2015 09:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  As I've said, I'm not an apologist for the TM movement and I would not state what I have stated without the credible experience I have amassed. I cannot speak to a lot in that article except for two key points. First, TM and the TM organization has absolutely zero to do with cult indoctrination. That is epically silly. There is no central teaching or requirements or any type of allegiance to anyone or anything. I am the most sensitive person I know when it comes to any type of outside influence efforting to mold my thinking or behavior. It simply doesn't exist at all with TM. It's a meditation technique. A mental technique practiced twice daily. Period. End of story. Next, the commentary regarding the efficacy of the technique is patently ignorant. The technique is unique and it really works. But you cannot possibly have any idea what it is nor how it works nor its effects without being initiated in the technique - which amounts to being given a mantra by a qualified instructor. TM makes use of the mind's natural ability and desire to settle down and to experience finer and finer levels of functioning. The mantra is the vehicle that creates the angle for a particular mind to make that decent. The level of rest achieved is twice that of the deepest sleep. And the benefits are many. Yes, many of the peer review studies were sponsored by the movement, but at least 25 of the most credible studies were not and were completely independent. There are some things in life that you cannot possibly know what you are talking about without getting involved and trying it. This is one of them.

Quote:The technique is unique and it really works.

No, the technique isn't unique. American Indians have totem meditation. Christians meditate, they just have a different name for it. Meditation is world wide and as old as the hills. Staring at a campfire quiets the mind and becomes meditation, or looking at the ocean or mountains, whatever. It's not magical or supernatural anymore than using the brain to add up a grocery list.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post