So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
(27-09-2015 09:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 09:06 PM)Obie Wrote:  As I've said, I'm not an apologist for the TM movement and I would not state what I have stated without the credible experience I have amassed. I cannot speak to a lot in that article except for two key points. First, TM and the TM organization has absolutely zero to do with cult indoctrination. That is epically silly. There is no central teaching or requirements or any type of allegiance to anyone or anything. I am the most sensitive person I know when it comes to any type of outside influence efforting to mold my thinking or behavior. It simply doesn't exist at all with TM. It's a meditation technique. A mental technique practiced twice daily. Period. End of story. Next, the commentary regarding the efficacy of the technique is patently ignorant. The technique is unique and it really works. But you cannot possibly have any idea what it is nor how it works nor its effects without being initiated in the technique - which amounts to being given a mantra by a qualified instructor. TM makes use of the mind's natural ability and desire to settle down and to experience finer and finer levels of functioning. The mantra is the vehicle that creates the angle for a particular mind to make that decent. The level of rest achieved is twice that of the deepest sleep. And the benefits are many. Yes, many of the peer review studies were sponsored by the movement, but at least 25 of the most credible studies were not and were completely independent. There are some things in life that you cannot possibly know what you are talking about without getting involved and trying it. This is one of them.

Quote:The technique is unique and it really works.

No, the technique isn't unique. American Indians have totem meditation. Christians meditate, they just have a different name for it. Meditation is world wide and as old as the hills. Staring at a campfire quiets the mind and becomes meditation, or looking at the ocean or mountains, whatever. It's not magical or supernatural anymore than using the brain to add up a grocery list.

With all due respect, you have not the first clue as to what you are uttering. None. Yes, I am used to such rhetoric. It is both articulate and rational. It is also clueless. Transcending the mind is not a common experience. But you know it when it happens. All other forms of mediation ENGAGE the mind. TM transcends the mind. The ONLY way to know anything about this technique is to experience it. Words, descriptions, pronouncements, declarations and polemics aside.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2015, 11:22 AM
(27-09-2015 11:16 AM)Obie Wrote:  With all due respect, you have not the first clue as to what you are uttering. None. Yes, I am used to such rhetoric. It is both articulate and rational. It is also clueless. Transcending the mind is not a common experience. But you know it when it happens. All other forms of mediation ENGAGE the mind. TM transcends the mind. The ONLY way to know anything about this technique is to experience it. Words, descriptions, pronouncements, declarations and polemics aside.

Yes, that's wonderful.

It doesn't hold water when the Christians try it, either.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
27-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Welcome. I recommend you start reading, & researching. The people here will be more than happy to help point you in a direction, if you're not sure where to go from a given point. This will also give you some "thick skin," as you can expect some less than totally constructive criticism. Study with diligence. Smile
27-09-2015, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 03:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-09-2015 11:16 AM)Obie Wrote:  With all due respect, you have not the first clue as to what you are uttering. None. Yes, I am used to such rhetoric. It is both articulate and rational. It is also clueless. Transcending the mind is not a common experience. But you know it when it happens. All other forms of mediation ENGAGE the mind. TM transcends the mind. The ONLY way to know anything about this technique is to experience it. Words, descriptions, pronouncements, declarations and polemics aside.

Bah, you are the one who is clueless. I have experienced transcendence many times. And it was as easy as taking a microdot or windowpane or a purple people eater or DMT or MDMA or psiloycybin or ayahuasca or any one of a number of psychotropics. You ain't got no special knowledge.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-09-2015, 12:02 PM
(27-09-2015 11:16 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 09:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  No, the technique isn't unique. American Indians have totem meditation. Christians meditate, they just have a different name for it. Meditation is world wide and as old as the hills. Staring at a campfire quiets the mind and becomes meditation, or looking at the ocean or mountains, whatever. It's not magical or supernatural anymore than using the brain to add up a grocery list.

With all due respect, you have not the first clue as to what you are uttering. None. Yes, I am used to such rhetoric. It is both articulate and rational. It is also clueless. Transcending the mind is not a common experience. But you know it when it happens. All other forms of mediation ENGAGE the mind. TM transcends the mind. The ONLY way to know anything about this technique is to experience it. Words, descriptions, pronouncements, declarations and polemics aside.

[Image: 4609040720_324909b6a3.jpg]

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-09-2015, 12:51 PM
The brain does amazing things but being an amazing instrument doesn't make it magical.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-09-2015, 01:29 PM
(27-09-2015 11:16 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 09:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  No, the technique isn't unique. American Indians have totem meditation. Christians meditate, they just have a different name for it. Meditation is world wide and as old as the hills. Staring at a campfire quiets the mind and becomes meditation, or looking at the ocean or mountains, whatever. It's not magical or supernatural anymore than using the brain to add up a grocery list.

Glad that you have had fun experiences with your meditation, but it is both classless and clueless for you to say that your experiences are 1) transcendent, and 2) more significant than anyone else's peak experiences/meditation experiences/drug experiences.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
27-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Demo actual levitation for us. If you can do that I'll be interested. None of this bullshit of bouncing up and down on a mattress Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
27-09-2015, 06:35 PM
(27-09-2015 11:38 AM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  Welcome. I recommend you start reading, & researching. The people here will be more than happy to help point you in a direction, if you're not sure where to go from a given point. This will also give you some "thick skin," as you can expect some less than totally constructive criticism. Study with diligence. Smile

Thank you. Cordiality does exist on this website - although I'm not too sure what you think I need to learn, or to investigate.

I came here to share what might be considered "new" knowledge to most people's experience - knowledge based on the Veda that suggests that "knowing" ultimately rests on the evolution of consciousness - that we "become" the very seat of knowing by extinguishing the dichotomy of "knower-object of knowing" (objective knowing) by expanding individuated consciousness to its infinite proportions while mapping it to the transcendent, the field of infinite possibility, in which and through which, we are rendered super-beings in our ability to access and to manipulate it.

When I go somewhere new, I like to share new ideas.

It doesn't appear that new ideas have much of a shelf life here.

If I gave anyone the impression that I'm a young man, and thereby given to frivolous discourse, they would be wrong.
27-09-2015, 06:48 PM
(27-09-2015 06:35 PM)Obie Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 11:38 AM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  Welcome. I recommend you start reading, & researching. The people here will be more than happy to help point you in a direction, if you're not sure where to go from a given point. This will also give you some "thick skin," as you can expect some less than totally constructive criticism. Study with diligence. Smile

Thank you. Cordiality does exist on this website - although I'm not too sure what you think I need to learn, or to investigate.

I came here to share what might be considered "new" knowledge to most people's experience - knowledge based on the Veda that suggests that "knowing" ultimately rests on the evolution of consciousness - that we "become" the very seat of knowing by extinguishing the dichotomy of "knower-object of knowing" (objective knowing) by expanding individuated consciousness to its infinite proportions while mapping it to the transcendent, the field of infinite possibility, in which and through which, we are rendered super-beings in our ability to access and to manipulate it.

When I go somewhere new, I like to share new ideas.

It doesn't appear that new ideas have much of a shelf life here.

If I gave anyone the impression that I'm a young man, and thereby given to frivolous discourse, they would be wrong.

Our interaction usually depends on the tone of the poster, and more importantly based on the content. You stated you had quite the personal experience to share, and that personal experience is based completely in woo. To assert that things like (just as an example) levitation actually exist if one would simply evolve into a higher being by subscribing to the epic level of BS presented, like the videos I posted, and get offended that your woo is met with derision would reflect one....of a lesser evolved intellect.

I love new ideas, you didn't present one.

Your age is irrelevant. So is your education, and IQ points, all that matters is your ability to posit your worldview in such a manner as to be considered a serious assertion. You can believe in whatever you wish, but if you come dancing into theTHINKINGatheist talking about levitation as if it truly exists one should expect....derision. It is a great story though, could use some more dragons...but once you rinse away the woo and bullshit, you are left only with word salad....the philosophical musings created by someone who ate too many hallucinative mushrooms....the very expression of sanctimonious neurological flatulence offered as something of substance when all who see it can identify it for the hot air that it is.

What else you got?

Want to discuss any other unproven, magical woo? How about mind reading, faith healing, illness curing by prayer, telekinesis...we can sit around the campfire discussing all sorts of entertaining things.....but in the end, that is all they are...entertaining things.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post