So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
(01-10-2015 12:08 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Of course, with a sufficiently "open mind", one can believe in leprechauns. Why someone would believe that being open to their beliefs is laudable but being open to leprechauns is naive is beyond me.
This is the biggest thing about religion that I just don't get. It's like you present a child with a stack of 100 differently colored marbles. You tell the kid that the blue marble has magic power (and no others do). Bring in another kid and tell it that the green marble is the only marble with magic power. Let the two kids talk and alas..both think the other is stupid for possibly believing that the incorrect marble is magical, yet neither have any greater reason to believe their marble is the magical one.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Adrianime's post
02-10-2015, 12:18 PM
(02-10-2015 12:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:08 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Of course, with a sufficiently "open mind", one can believe in leprechauns. Why someone would believe that being open to their beliefs is laudable but being open to leprechauns is naive is beyond me.
This is the biggest thing about religion that I just don't get. It's like you present a child with a stack of 100 differently colored marbles. You tell the kid that the blue marble has magic power (and no others do). Bring in another kid and tell it that the green marble is the only marble with magic power. Let the two kids talk and alas..both think the other is stupid for possibly believing that the incorrect marble is magical, yet neither have any greater reason to believe their marble is the magical one.

It leads to fantastically interesting or fun psychological studies though. In-group/out-group distinctions can grow based on anything.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
(02-10-2015 12:18 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 12:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This is the biggest thing about religion that I just don't get. It's like you present a child with a stack of 100 differently colored marbles. You tell the kid that the blue marble has magic power (and no others do). Bring in another kid and tell it that the green marble is the only marble with magic power. Let the two kids talk and alas..both think the other is stupid for possibly believing that the incorrect marble is magical, yet neither have any greater reason to believe their marble is the magical one.

It leads to fantastically interesting or fun psychological studies though. In-group/out-group distinctions can grow based on anything.
I guess religion would be more like presenting 100 children with one marble and telling each child that it is the only magical marble in existence, then letting them all meet each other.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-10-2015, 12:32 PM
(02-10-2015 12:18 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 12:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This is the biggest thing about religion that I just don't get. It's like you present a child with a stack of 100 differently colored marbles. You tell the kid that the blue marble has magic power (and no others do). Bring in another kid and tell it that the green marble is the only marble with magic power. Let the two kids talk and alas..both think the other is stupid for possibly believing that the incorrect marble is magical, yet neither have any greater reason to believe their marble is the magical one.

Much like a shibboleth.
02-10-2015, 01:29 PM
(02-10-2015 12:32 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 12:18 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It leads to fantastically interesting or fun psychological studies though. In-group/out-group distinctions can grow based on anything.

Much like a shibboleth.

When I first read it I did a double take I thought you said ShiaLaBeouf.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
02-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Is Rob Cantor the love-child of Pants and Johnny?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post