So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 09:15 AM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
I've had moderate success at "faith-healing," however, without an underlying methodology that is quantifiable, testable, predictable, and repeatable, it ain't worth a fuck - beyond making me feel like a "real prophet." Big Grin

It doesn't validate Gwynnite and I wouldn't want it to. I don't fuck around with it no more as it may be a temporary placebo interfering with a body's actual cry for help that requires a real treatment as qualified above.

And if you were witnessing people levitating, you were probably high as fuck.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm a hard atheist. The notion that there's some magic man with a magic place dead people go to is so ludicrous that sometimes I don't even know why there are forums dedicated to the subject.

Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-09-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm a strong atheist if I get to define what "god" means. I'll take different positions in relation to different god claims though.

For me a god is a being that
1. Demands and requires worship
2. Is in fact worthy of worship.

Anything that doesn't meet those two criteria is an alien, not a god. And the two criteria are themselves internally contradictory. Therefore there may be aliens, but there are no gods.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
21-09-2015, 09:19 AM
(21-09-2015 09:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ... if you were witnessing people levitating, you were probably high as fuck ...

Or simply fooled by elementary parlor magic.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
21-09-2015, 09:27 AM
If consciousness is separate from the brain, then I'm curious as to why anesthesia works and why brain trauma can alter one's personality.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 8 users Like Loom's post
21-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Hey, Dances with Deuces; I don't really think we need to expound on the number of forums that discuss shit that really don't need to be discussed.... Laugh out load

Fucking internet - something for everybody. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 09:31 AM
(21-09-2015 08:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:53 AM)Obie Wrote:  Max Plank, the supposed father of quantum physics postulated that the unified field and consciousness are one in the same.

It's not unusual for highly respected physicists to make complete fools of themselves when discussing things like intelligence and life. For example Roger Penrose and Steven Hawking. If what you say is true then I'll add ol' Max to the list.

Plus, he didn't really say that - certainly not in the new-agey sense OP seems to think. He used the word 'consciousness' to explain some fundamental unknowns, but he clearly did not mean human consciousness. Closer to Einstein's maybe-pantheism maybe-deism vagueness than anything.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
21-09-2015, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 09:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  Are there any weak atheists here?

I don't claim any title or category. I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I prefer to call myself a rationalist.

The last website I joined, last year, would have none of it, and I ended up getting kicked off the site when I suggested a guy avoid my threads. I lasted a week. I found, all in all, that some atheists can be as provincial and pedantic as the stock religious types.

My submission is that the phenomenal is the tip of the iceberg and that the metaphysical underpins all observable reality. Certain people thought I was foolish.

My background is in the quantum mechanics of consciousness as promulgated by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Finally, all theistic religions are tragically false. There is no knowable form of any type of god. If there were, it would be known and accepted as the same thing on a wholesale level. Such a thing doesn't exist. If there were a god, it would not be a function of belief. It would be a common reality. There would be no need for any religions.

Further, to know that a god exists requires foreknowledge of what that god is - that we can identify it when we come in contact with it. Foreknowledge is an impossibility. Ergo: even if there were a god, we could not know it.

Human consciousness is 100% dependent on human sensory input and functioning brain systems. There is absolutely no evidence or even a proposed mechanisn for post-mortem preservation of consciousness. Damaged human brains are not conscious. It's an idiotic notion, for which there is no evidence. MRIs and PET scans track consciousness. They see nothing going on in dead brains. So yeah. It's stupid. Consciousness requires stored memories referenced by sensory input. Without a human brain and intact neuro-input (sensory) system, there is no consciousness.

There are plenty of weak atheists here. We're all weaklings when compared to GWG. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2015, 09:44 AM
(21-09-2015 09:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hey, Dances with Deuces; I don't really think we need to expound on the number of forums that discuss shit that really don't need to be discussed.... Laugh out load

Fucking internet - something for everybody. Dodgy

I'm just here for the coffee. Drinking Beverage

Popcorn isn't too bad either.

Popcorn

needs more butter

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-09-2015, 09:50 AM
(21-09-2015 09:10 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 08:37 AM)julep Wrote:  So you're going to imply that anyone who disagrees with you about your metaphysics lacks experience and has an immature "soul"? How attractive and compelling.

You may phrase it as you like to attempt to marginalize me. I would say that we all differ in our maturation which of course implies that there are more more and lesser mature. the maturation process is ongoing and can be observed within a given life stream. I find it incredible that people can adopt a scorched earth type mentality and declare resolutely that there is no part of being human that cannot survive and continue to evolve. It precludes rationality and growth. It is obvious across this planet that this is a one room schoolhouse with a great disparity in advancement. If we all start out as blank slates, how can such ingrained disparities exist? Or could it be that the evolution of consciousness is very slow and deliberate and thus, it requires many transitions in and out of form to attain certain heights or levels? I could make a great many arguments but it would be misleading and suggest that it is by argument that I have arrived where I am, when indeed it is a point and place in my evolution. I am not alone, of course. Although it might appear so here.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the difference between someone asserting that the soul exists, or does not exist, and someone saying there's not enough evidence to make such an assertion. The "scorched earth" view seems to be yours…I take the not--enough-evidence viewpoint.

There's zero evidence that the planet is a schoolhouse and that the purpose of life is to educate living things. If that is indeed true, I'm not going to try to earn an A in a process that is so redundant and cruel. So the truth of that proposition is meaningless to the way I'm going to live.

I haven't encountered any evidence that there is purpose in the universe, or that disparities between humans indicate previous lives or differing stages of consciousness, or that anyone has encountered a disembodied consciousness, ever. At best that's a fatuous view of the cosmos, and at worst it's a view that allows people in comfortable circumstances to do nothing to help those in miserable circumstances.

If it's comforting for you to believe you're super highly evolved, go for it.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post