So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 09:52 AM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
(21-09-2015 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hey, Dances with Deuces; I don't really think we need to expound on the number of forums that discuss shit that really don't need to be discussed.... Laugh out load

Fucking internet - something for everybody. Dodgy

I'm just here for the coffee. Drinking Beverage

Popcorn isn't too bad either.

Popcorn

needs more butter

Coffee? Popcorn? You people have been holding out on me! I wants my coffee and popcorn now darnit. Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
21-09-2015, 09:55 AM
(21-09-2015 09:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 08:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's not unusual for highly respected physicists to make complete fools of themselves when discussing things like intelligence and life. For example Roger Penrose and Steven Hawking. If what you say is true then I'll add ol' Max to the list.

Plus, he didn't really say that - certainly not in the new-agey sense OP seems to think. He used the word 'consciousness' to explain some fundamental unknowns, but he clearly did not mean human consciousness. Closer to Einstein's maybe-pantheism maybe-deism vagueness than anything.

Glad to hear it thanks. Max ... you're off the naughty step.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
(21-09-2015 09:50 AM)julep Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:10 AM)Obie Wrote:  You may phrase it as you like to attempt to marginalize me. I would say that we all differ in our maturation which of course implies that there are more more and lesser mature. the maturation process is ongoing and can be observed within a given life stream. I find it incredible that people can adopt a scorched earth type mentality and declare resolutely that there is no part of being human that cannot survive and continue to evolve. It precludes rationality and growth. It is obvious across this planet that this is a one room schoolhouse with a great disparity in advancement. If we all start out as blank slates, how can such ingrained disparities exist? Or could it be that the evolution of consciousness is very slow and deliberate and thus, it requires many transitions in and out of form to attain certain heights or levels? I could make a great many arguments but it would be misleading and suggest that it is by argument that I have arrived where I am, when indeed it is a point and place in my evolution. I am not alone, of course. Although it might appear so here.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the difference between someone asserting that the soul exists, or does not exist, and someone saying there's not enough evidence to make such an assertion. The "scorched earth" view seems to be yours…I take the not--enough-evidence viewpoint.

There's zero evidence that the planet is a schoolhouse and that the purpose of life is to educate living things. If that is indeed true, I'm not going to try to earn an A in a process that is so redundant and cruel. So the truth of that proposition is meaningless to the way I'm going to live.

I haven't encountered any evidence that there is purpose in the universe, or that disparities between humans indicate previous lives or differing stages of consciousness, or that anyone has encountered a disembodied consciousness, ever. At best that's a fatuous view of the cosmos, and at worst it's a view that allows people in comfortable circumstances to do nothing to help those in miserable circumstances.

If it's comforting for you to believe you're super highly evolved, go for it.

Again... Another delusional fuck who appears to know our minds better than we do and already knows every nuance of how and why we think the way we do.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
(21-09-2015 09:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:12 AM)Obie Wrote:  Are there any weak atheists here?

I don't claim any title or category. I would submit that human consciousness survives the body, remains localized, continues evolving, and transits in and out of form continuously, as does everything else in this universe.

I prefer to call myself a rationalist.

The last website I joined, last year, would have none of it, and I ended up getting kicked off the site when I suggested a guy avoid my threads. I lasted a week. I found, all in all, that some atheists can be as provincial and pedantic as the stock religious types.

My submission is that the phenomenal is the tip of the iceberg and that the metaphysical underpins all observable reality. Certain people thought I was foolish.

My background is in the quantum mechanics of consciousness as promulgated by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Finally, all theistic religions are tragically false. There is no knowable form of any type of god. If there were, it would be known and accepted as the same thing on a wholesale level. Such a thing doesn't exist. If there were a god, it would not be a function of belief. It would be a common reality. There would be no need for any religions.

Further, to know that a god exists requires foreknowledge of what that god is - that we can identify it when we come in contact with it. Foreknowledge is an impossibility. Ergo: even if there were a god, we could not know it.

Human consciousness is 100% dependent on human sensory input and functioning brain systems. There is absolutely no evidence or even a proposed mechanisn for post-mortem preservation of consciousness. Damaged human brains are not conscious. It's an idiotic notion, for which there is no evidence. MRIs and PET scans track consciousness. They see nothing going on in dead brains. So yeah. It's stupid.

There are plenty of weak atheists here. We're all weaklings when compared to GWG. Weeping

Quote:It's an idiotic notion, for which there is no evidence. MRIs and PET scans track consciousness. They see nothing going on in dead brains.

[Image: 130308172235-mummy-ct-story-top.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-09-2015, 10:16 AM
(21-09-2015 08:55 AM)Obie Wrote:  .......As a former TM Sidha I experienced and witnessed the quantum nature of consciousness, especially in the performance of the levitation sutra in large groups. .......

Amazing the things people can purport to witness to.....you know, Benny Hinn has people line up to give him thousands of dollars as they have personally "witnessed" his amazing miracles....of course those miracles are for sale...aren't they always? Thinking you have achieved some higher level of consciousness or awareness and us unbelieving heathens just don't have the capability to comprehend such wonders is not only hubris, but the very personification of self-delusion and grandeur. My mother is a Pentecostal Minister with quite a sizable following. I have listened to her preach, and looked around at the awed expression of those ignorant and gullible enough to believe her in the audience. She has told me with great conviction that not only has she witnessed miracles, but the power of jesus Christ has worked through her and she has been the vessel for the healing of hundreds....she truly believes this....sadly, people truly believe her as well. Unfortunately, Argument from Conviction is not the test for truth.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
21-09-2015, 10:18 AM
(21-09-2015 08:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 08:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Seems like a nice guy.

Doesn't mean he's not a flake. Tongue

True... Some of the flakiest people I know are nice guys.

Especially the girls....

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-09-2015, 10:23 AM
(21-09-2015 09:55 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Human consciousness is 100% dependent on human sensory input and functioning brain systems. There is absolutely no evidence or even a proposed mechanisn for post-mortem preservation of consciousness. Damaged human brains are not conscious. It's an idiotic notion, for which there is no evidence. MRIs and PET scans track consciousness. They see nothing going on in dead brains. So yeah. It's stupid.

There are plenty of weak atheists here. We're all weaklings when compared to GWG. Weeping

Quote:It's an idiotic notion, for which there is no evidence. MRIs and PET scans track consciousness. They see nothing going on in dead brains.

[Image: 130308172235-mummy-ct-story-top.jpg]

It's very comforting and convenient to share in a majority opinion while uniformly discounting and dismissing anything that does not agree with it. The very same experience I have encountering fundamental Christians. You want proof that there is a singularity that unites and belies all things at the level of existence? We aren't there yet. You consider such a notion crazy? Tell that to any great modern day scientist. You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists. Same mindset. Different club.
21-09-2015, 10:24 AM
(21-09-2015 10:23 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:55 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: 130308172235-mummy-ct-story-top.jpg]

It's very comforting and convenient to share in a majority opinion while uniformly discounting and dismissing anything that does not agree with it. The very same experience I have encountering fundamental Christians. You want proof that there is a singularity that unites and belies all things at the level of existence? We aren't there yet. You consider such a notion crazy? Tell that to any great modern day scientist. You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists. Same mindset. Different club.

Your feels aren't any more special than the theists, and if your best defense consists of pointing out how your incoherent ideas are unfalsifiable, then I'm afraid I have a great deal of difficulty seeing why anyone ought to entertain them for the time being.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
21-09-2015, 10:30 AM
I guess if you're looking for a strong atheist I might fall into that category. I find the word God too ill defined to make an assessment on existence, however those that are defined do not exist.

As to dualism, I do t buy it. I don't believe in free will or consciousness either. This is because this seems to be the direction the evidence points. If you have something to contradict it please present it.
21-09-2015, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 10:45 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(21-09-2015 10:23 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:55 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: 130308172235-mummy-ct-story-top.jpg]

Right back at ya.

It's very comforting and convenient to share in a majority opinion while uniformly discounting and dismissing anything that does not agree with it (Like Theists for example). You want proof that there is a singularity that unites and belies all things at the level of existence? We aren't there yet. (No shit, and with zero evidence of such, doubt we will be there anytime soon...the creator of god has been identified....it is man, and man created god in his own image) You consider such a notion crazy? (imaginative...but not crazy...people purport to believe in a lot of weird shit...aliens, UFOs, bigfoot, loch ness monster, ghosts, fairies, and apparently the mother of all boogie men...god) Tell that to any great modern day scientist. truly? You do realize that 97% of all scientists do not believe in a god right? You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists. As you soon as your prefaced that with "you people" you exposed your ignorance and closed-mindedness. A thinking person analyzes the real world around him/her to ascertain basic laws that apply to it....positing magic is not only unnecessary, it is childish. Same mindset. Different club.exactly

argumentum ad ignorantiam applies here

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post