So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 11:13 AM
RE: So, tell me, is this place mainly strong atheism?
I think I've seen this episode. This is a rerun, right?

Damn, there's never anything good on anymore.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-09-2015, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 11:27 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(21-09-2015 11:07 AM)Obie Wrote:  Go to youtube and watch the two 10-minute talks by Dr John Hagelin on Consciousness if you want some baseline info on what I am espousing.

Right now I'm trying to divine who among you are on serious meds. Whose meds need tweaking. And who should be on a leash every time they leave their house.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Says the guy who believes in magic and has witnessed "levitation". Truly? Consider

Too bad you're slinging the really crazy shit, and not one of the standard theologies of which I can eviscerate with little effort. Tell us again about your argument from personal experience...so there you were...embracing the chakras....and as one....watched someone physically levitate. I don't even need to dismantle your worldview...it is so off the chart nuts you are undermining yourself without any assistance required. Carry on, you are doing swell. Thumbsup

Flex

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
21-09-2015, 11:16 AM
(21-09-2015 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Popcorn isn't too bad either.

Popcorn

needs more butter

[Image: DSC_0502-300x200.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
21-09-2015, 11:21 AM
(21-09-2015 10:23 AM)Obie Wrote:  You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists.

Your reading comprehension is very poor. Where did anybody say there "can be no unifying basis"? What I see over and over is "there is no evidence to support that idea". Those are two very different thoughts.

Since you admit that it is an obvious fact that there is no proof, why the hell would you go ahead and believe it anyway? Think about it, investigate it, wish for it even, OK.... believe it? Fuck no.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
21-09-2015, 11:23 AM
(21-09-2015 11:13 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I think I've seen this episode. This is a rerun, right?

Damn, there's never anything good on anymore.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-09-2015, 11:24 AM
(21-09-2015 11:14 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 11:07 AM)Obie Wrote:  Go to youtube and watch the two 10-minute talks by Dr John Hagelin on Consciousness if you want some baseline info on what I am espousing.

Right now I'm trying to divine who among you are on serious meds. Whose meds need tweaking. And who should be on a leash every time they leave their house.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Says the guy who believes in magic and has witnessed "levitation". Truly? Consider

Too bad you're slinging the really crazy shit, and not one of the standard theologies of which I can eviscerate with little effort. Tell us again about your argument from personal experience...so there you were...embracing the chakras....and as one....watched someone physically levitate. I don't even need to dismantle your worldview...it so off the chart nuts you are undermining yourself without any assistance required. Carry on, you are doing swell. Thumbsup

Flex

I could give you a mirror for your birthday and you'd be set for life talking to yourself and entertaining yourself. I of course understand your point of view as it belies a common mind given to snap assertions. You must confuse me for a younger person devoid of reason, experience, and an educational background that might include a degree from Stanford, Yale, or Notre Dame. I've been at this a long while. I am not insulted nor rendered off balance by the vitriol here. I always consider the source. Not that I necessarily know the source, but then, the source also does not know me, yet it continues its ad hominem ways, free of filtering. I realize that none of you has sat in full lotus in a domed structure with 1500 other sidhas and practiced the levitation sutra. It lies well outside your common experience. What separates you, one from the other, are those who might take someone at their word and ask for more information, and then those who summarize, discount, marginalize,and dismiss in one motion. I figure its a given that most here have an IQ in the top .01% (percentile). But many of you are doing your best to hide that fact.
21-09-2015, 11:25 AM
(21-09-2015 10:23 AM)Obie Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:55 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: 130308172235-mummy-ct-story-top.jpg]

It's very comforting and convenient to share in a majority opinion while uniformly discounting and dismissing anything that does not agree with it. The very same experience I have encountering fundamental Christians. You want proof that there is a singularity that unites and belies all things at the level of existence? We aren't there yet. You consider such a notion crazy? Tell that to any great modern day scientist. You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists. Same mindset. Different club.

Quote:You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists.

We are the only animal on this planet intelligent enough to know of our own future date with death. Without advanced death knowledge religion wouldn't be necessary.

There have been about 100 billion people that have ever lived on this planet. Most have been believers of one sort and another. Not once in thousands of years has any one of those 100 billion people ever provided one ounce of evidence that a magic man with pixie dust exists. There's no evidence that an afterlife, a Never-Never Land, a never die place exists.

Suck it up kid. One day you're gonna die and you'll be dead, dead, dead. You'll be so dead you won't exist. Get over it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-09-2015, 11:30 AM
(21-09-2015 10:51 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Now go look up the term "ineducable tyro", that seems to fit you thus far.

Never heard that phrase before.

ineducable tyro - a beginner or novice that is not capable of learning

"Only the ineducable tyro can fail to sense the presence or absence of wolves, or the fact that mountains have a secret opinion about them." - Aldo Leopold, Thinking Like a Mountain

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-09-2015, 11:32 AM
"You skeptics are all alike. Always wanting evidence. Just watch my video and you too will believe."

"It's rational right ?"

Sorry Obie, but no, it's not rational.
You have made claims. Now you must justify those claims with evidence. When you can justify it, then it becomes rational.

So far, you've offered no reason or justification for your claims.

You lack rational thought.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
21-09-2015, 11:33 AM
(21-09-2015 11:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 10:23 AM)Obie Wrote:  It's very comforting and convenient to share in a majority opinion while uniformly discounting and dismissing anything that does not agree with it. The very same experience I have encountering fundamental Christians. You want proof that there is a singularity that unites and belies all things at the level of existence? We aren't there yet. You consider such a notion crazy? Tell that to any great modern day scientist. You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists. Same mindset. Different club.

Quote:You people conflate the obvious fact that there is no proof for any form of god with a supposition that there can be no unifying basis for all that exists.

We are the only animal on this planet intelligent enough to know of our own future date with death. Without advanced death knowledge religion wouldn't be necessary.

There have been about 100 billion people that have ever lived on this planet. Most have been believers of one sort and another. Not once in thousands of years has any one of those 100 billion people ever provided one ounce of evidence that a magic man with pixie dust exists. There's no evidence that an afterlife, a Never-Never Land, a never die place exists.

Suck it up kid. One day you're gonna die and you'll be dead, dead, dead. You'll be so dead you won't exist. Get over it.

Once again, you conflate the notion of a god with an afterlife. There is no afterlife. There is nothing beyond life. There is only life. There is always life. The question is one of cohesion, continuity and continuation. You find it abhorrent to suggest that life is continuous. That it never ends. That it always and only evolves through changing formats. That evolution does not end. That we never end. That's fine. I'm not selling anything here. You have much company. Lots of people who will both agree with you and point fingers at all who disagree. Revel in it. That's what religion is all about.