So the police are asking for your SSN now?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2014, 07:43 PM
So the police are asking for your SSN now?
So, I got pulled over for supposedly not stopping at a stop sign a block from my house. I know that I did in fact stop since I had to wait for a car to pass at the 4 way stop so I could go but that's another argument.

The office asked for my driver license and insurance, as per usual, I nicely handed them to him and waited forever for him to come back to my car. When he finally came back to my car he handed my information back to me and then said he needed my SSN and phone number. Not ever haven't to provide this to another officer before I asked why he needed them. He told me it was "Oklahoma Law". I proceeded to tell him that no other office had ever asked me, my husband or any other person I know for their SSN in the state of Oklahoma and why they needed it now? He told me it was a "new" law. Not wanting to argue with him further, I just gave him the number and he handed me my ticket (which I couldn't figure out until I found the court date that it was a ticket since he didn't tell me if it was a ticket or a written warning, which they are supposed to do) and sent me on my way. I put my car in drive and literally drove 10ft to my parking spot outside my house.

Interested in whether or not it was legal for him to ask me for my information and went straight to Google. Apparently it wasn't illegal for him to ask, but the reason he gave for it was wrong. They would only ask for your SSN if they needed further proof of who you are, encase of warrants. This is obviously not the case since he didn't go back to his car, he just wrote the number down and gave me my ticket. Also, they are supposed to inform you that you can refuse to give the information if you feel that it isn't justified (The Privacy Act of 1974).

I asked a few people via the web if they had any similar situations. A friend of mine said they had and for the same reason. And guess what? The same town and officer as well. Coincidence? My sister has a friend that works in law enforcement and told her what this officer did was not appropriate and if I wanted I could file a formal complaint. I just might.

Thoughts?

[Image: tumblr_mbi9tvVVZh1rzbj5mo1_r1_500.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2014, 07:48 PM
RE: So the police are asking for your SSN now?
(14-06-2014 07:43 PM)OFTwify Wrote:  So, I got pulled over for supposedly not stopping at a stop sign a block from my house. I know that I did in fact stop since I had to wait for a car to pass at the 4 way stop so I could go but that's another argument.

The office asked for my driver license and insurance, as per usual, I nicely handed them to him and waited forever for him to come back to my car. When he finally came back to my car he handed my information back to me and then said he needed my SSN and phone number. Not ever haven't to provide this to another officer before I asked why he needed them. He told me it was "Oklahoma Law". I proceeded to tell him that no other office had ever asked me, my husband or any other person I know for their SSN in the state of Oklahoma and why they needed it now? He told me it was a "new" law. Not wanting to argue with him further, I just gave him the number and he handed me my ticket (which I couldn't figure out until I found the court date that it was a ticket since he didn't tell me if it was a ticket or a written warning, which they are supposed to do) and sent me on my way. I put my car in drive and literally drove 10ft to my parking spot outside my house.

Interested in whether or not it was legal for him to ask me for my information and went straight to Google. Apparently it wasn't illegal for him to ask, but the reason he gave for it was wrong. They would only ask for your SSN if they needed further proof of who you are, encase of warrants. This is obviously not the case since he didn't go back to his car, he just wrote the number down and gave me my ticket. Also, they are supposed to inform you that you can refuse to give the information if you feel that it isn't justified (The Privacy Act of 1974).

I asked a few people via the web if they had any similar situations. A friend of mine said they had and for the same reason. And guess what? The same town and officer as well. Coincidence? My sister has a friend that works in law enforcement and told her what this officer did was not appropriate and if I wanted I could file a formal complaint. I just might.

Thoughts?

You could file a complaint but I doubt it will go anywhere.
I'd be more concerned with getting the ticket reversed.
14-06-2014, 07:48 PM
(14-06-2014 07:43 PM)OFTwify Wrote:  So, I got pulled over for supposedly not stopping at a stop sign a block from my house. I know that I did in fact stop since I had to wait for a car to pass at the 4 way stop so I could go but that's another argument.

Thoughts?

Definitely file the complaint and fight the ticket. Sounds like a Cop who gets off on bullying people.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-06-2014, 08:03 PM
I agree with Rev. File the complaint.

This is why so many people hate cops. Some misuse their power, and the law. It makes it hard for people to feel safe around them. Things like this going unreported can allow the problem to grow.

Good luck!! Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
14-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I don't know what I would have done. I've never memorized my SS# but what's really funny -- I know hubby's and oldest kid!

However seeing how it wasn't actually required and he lied about it being a law, I would file a complaint.

That's just not right

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-06-2014, 08:18 PM
I've just been informed from someone else that it is requested so in the case that you don't pay your ticket, they can take it from your taxes. Consider Can they not just do that anyways? Don't they just arrest you if you don't pay your tickets? I was pretty sure they did.

Side now, re-read the ticket and my grammar nazi kicked in. He spelled sign, Sighn... dear lord.

14-06-2014, 08:24 PM
(14-06-2014 08:18 PM)OFTwify Wrote:  I've just been informed from someone else that it is requested so in the case that you don't pay your ticket, they can take it from your taxes. Consider Can they not just do that anyways? Don't they just arrest you if you don't pay your tickets? I was pretty sure they did.

Side now, re-read the ticket and my grammar nazi kicked in. He spelled sign, Sighn... dear lord.

Having your DL info is enough for them to know who you are for sure to get to your taxes if they need to. This all stinks to me Dodgy I don't like it.

Course I'm already over paranoid about police. There's just so many ways they can violate your rights while there's nothing you can do about it. It just seems like if you point out they may be doing something illegal, they push you harder. Just don't like it. No

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
14-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Cops are not excluded from the possibility of being criminals. Giving out your SS is always a suspicious transaction.

I probably wouldn't file a complaint, but I would go down to the police office and ask questions.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
14-06-2014, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2014 09:14 PM by DLJ.)
In the great big 'process model' that we call life, the process that cops perform is called incident management.

The functions that fulfil these roles in the business world are the Service Desk and on-site support. This cop is the latter.

Traditionally these roles are underfunded and inadequately trained.

I'd be focusing on poor training before making accusations of corruption.

14-06-2014, 08:50 PM
I love my mind... and the internet.

Privacy Act of 1974 (I'm having trouble finding the actual legal form of the act, word for word of the entire law, if anyone can find that for me that's be awesome)
Section 7 requires all federal, state, and local authorities who request a citizen's SSN to inform the citizen of whether the disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, how it will be use and under what statute or authority the number is requested. A citizen cannot be denied any right, benefit, or privilege if they refuse to disclose their SSN, until the disclosure is required by federal law or where a law existed prior to Jan 1975 requiring disclosure. No Federal law was located the requires a citizen to provide their SSN to a municipal law enforcement office.

I will have to bring that up. Also, I will be fighting the ticket but it will be my word against his on all this, which is the sad part.