So there I was...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
So there I was...
Greetings! Im an ex-Eastern Orthodoxian (Greek flavor).
I've spent many years not realizing that I didnt buy the "stories". I went through the motions on Easter and Christmas and volunteered as an alter boy (the answer is no, by the way) when I was 16, but nothing was compulsory.
In 2004, my father passed away and I was forced to address my beliefs and critically analyze what it was I believed. I was 33 and hadnt given it too much thought. In the back of my mind, something wasnt kosher, so to speak.

I think I picked up on my fathers views that he didnt buy it either. It was his Electrical Engineer in him that gave him a logical, rational approach.

I asked him once about his thoughts on God, and he related what his father told him:
If you believe, and are right, you lose nothing.

We've never heard that one have we? I still dont think he bought it.

Anyhow, I look forward to meeting more athiest folks here in Florida and around the world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 09:21 AM
RE: So there I was...
Welcome! I think you are the first ex-Eastern Orthodoxian here. Good to hear your side of the story as well.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Are you a Trekker by chance?
[Image: expendability_star_trek.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2011, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 07:55 AM by Redshirt.)
(09-08-2011 09:28 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Are you a Trekker by chance?
[Image: expendability_star_trek.jpg]

I am a sci fi fan (though not exclusively Trek) and that is exactly the source of my name.

That's the short version of name origin. The long version is an existential comment analogous to the redshirt's plight.
We are all "beamed down t the surface (of earth)" with no hope to be "beamed up" since there is no Enterprise (a utopian "heaven"). Only those of legendary stature (the main characters who escape death, time after time) have their epic tale retold to impress upon us some indelible lesson of humanity. The delicious irony is the parallel between Star Trek and ancient fables, such as the biblical stories.
I clearly have too much time on my hands.

Oh and to prove I have too much time, here is an analysis of Bones, Spock, and Kirk:
The holy trinity.
Bones the healer, Spock the Rationalist, and Kirk the divine leader.
[+] 1 user Likes Redshirt's post
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Quote:I think you are the first ex-Eastern Orthodoxian here
Well , I'm Romanian so I was FIRST to be ex-Orhdox Christian (kinda)
Your anger level is over 9000 , correct ?

Quote:That's the short version of name origin. The long version is an existential comment analogous to the redshirt's plight.
We are all "beamed down t the surface (of earth)" with no hope to be "beamed up" since there is no Enterprise (a utopian "heaven").

Welcome.
I'm more of a Next Generation fan.
Also love sci-fi and here's my favorite quote :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkoqH2iQIQ

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
17-08-2011, 08:19 AM
(12-08-2011 07:29 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:I think you are the first ex-Eastern Orthodoxian here
Well , I'm Romanian so I was FIRST to be ex-Orhdox Christian (kinda)
Your anger level is over 9000 , correct ?

Why? I just didn't know about you. OK, so maybe Redshirt is the second ex-Eastern Orthodoxian here. Or maybe he is not...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Let's all agree that there arent many ex-Orthodox forum visitors.Blush The good news is "ex".