So tired of Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 05:41 PM
RE: So tired of Christians
(27-03-2017 05:18 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 04:23 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  Thank you Jen. I think I had to come here to vent more than anything else. Just so the forum knows. I don't pass judgment on people. I don't care if your religious or not.

I could tell you nightmares I've had dealing with pastors etc. I use to be one, but did the right thing getting out. I preached my first sermon at age 19, and my last one at age 21....Never again! I'm 62.

Now that I'm retired, I want to stay away from Christians. They do nothing but get under my skin, and do nothing for my peace of mind.

> To tell the truth, the only Christians that I see regularly who behave in that fashion are the Jehovah's Witnesses who come to my door two or three times each year.

Have you had any contacts with other Christians? Many Protestants would tell you JW'S aren't Christians. JW'S, SDA'S, Catholics, Mormons are all on the Protestant black list.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 05:45 PM
(27-03-2017 04:25 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  Quite honestly, I've had very little luck with Christians and church.

Oh, I would never want to meet Christians in a church. Meeting them in ordinary life is the best.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Welcome aboard, Jack.

Pissed off christians seem to do well here.

('pissed off' if EU; just 'pissed' if US)

From now on I'm going to call them Pistians.

Pistian:
noun
Disgruntled christian on the slippery piste to atheism

Angel

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2017, 06:20 PM
(27-03-2017 06:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome aboard, Jack.

Pissed off christians seem to do well here.

('pissed off' if EU; just 'pissed' if US)

From now on I'm going to call them Pistians.

Pistian:
noun
Disgruntled christian on the slippery piste to atheism

Angel

First chuckle yet! You can call me a pistian anytime. It kind of fits!
[+] 3 users Like Jack Hammer's post
27-03-2017, 07:02 PM
(27-03-2017 04:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It's difficult to be open to differences of opinion when you are absolutely certain that you have the ultimate answers.

Yes - or another favorite way to say that is "A closed mind is the hardest thing to open".

Welcome Pistian! (Love that DLJ!)
27-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Welcome mate Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
27-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the forum. I've been an atheist more or less my whole life and have rarely encountered Christians that caused me much grief. In real life at least. The ones on the internet are another matter, with a few exceptions.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
27-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Welcome JH, I like your avatar of the black sheep. Now, if we can help you shed the “sheep” part altogether I believe we will have earned our keep.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Welcome.
27-03-2017, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 07:53 PM by Jack Hammer.)
(27-03-2017 07:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. I've been an atheist more or less my whole life and have rarely encountered Christians that caused me much grief. In real life at least. The ones on the internet are another matter, with a few exceptions.

You're the second person to reply similarly. The reason why an Atheist typically doesn't have many issues with Christians is because there's only one issue that divides the two of you. And that is, one believes and the other doesn't.

In my case, and being somewhat of a former minister, the issues that divide us are vast. I encounter opposition to almost everything I disgust...I mean discuss with them. You're not a heretic, I am. Christians know Atheism is the complete opposite of Christianity, so other than the creation issue, it's like you're not a real threat to their dogma. They don't want to piss you off or offend you too much. After all, they don't want you to burn your sweet little ass in hell but want you to be saved. But with me, they love it because I'm of the worse kind spewing out all sorts of heresies. I put forth a real challenge to their doctrine, and they don't like it.
[+] 2 users Like Jack Hammer's post