RE: So tired of Christians
hi there!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Hey I've only been here a few hours and I've already received a nasty gram and have a crappy reputation. Must have come from some misled Christian!
[+] 2 users Like Jack Hammer's post
27-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Don't sweat it man...

But -- the only difference between the religitards and the geeks at Comicon --

The geeks only get together once a year to argue the merits of their favorite superhero, whilst the religitards do it every week......

Truth is, they look just as silly.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-03-2017, 08:01 PM
(27-03-2017 07:58 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Don't sweat it man...

But -- the only difference between the religitards and the geeks at Comicon --

The geeks only get together once a year to argue the merits of their favorite superhero, whilst the religitards do it every week......

Truth is, they look just as silly.....

Thanks OLB. I have a lot of respect for unbelievers. Very little for believers....There's something wrong with that but it's true!
27-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Dude, now you're not even trying.

#sigh
28-03-2017, 04:22 AM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

If you accept (presumably?) that the Abrahamic god exists, then by my definition, you're a "Christian".

Thus, I'm not quite sure how you differentiate yourself from other Christians who you describe as hypocritical, arrogant, judgmental, and self-righteous. Can you assure us that you're none of those things?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Quote:I was on it for two days, posted about 30 times, and was condemned by three people, two of them administrators. The issue? I'm non-trinitarian.

I actually don't blame them. It's their forum. They may want or expect certain common ground so they can start the conversation from there. It's not like it's a duty to read, deal with, debate, or respect contrary beliefs. It's also ok to create a space free from certain perspectives.

Personally l am fucking done with hearing religious arguments, debating it, and so on. I usually mind my manners and I understand the culture of this board is friendly to all sorts of civil banter. But in my mind, every time someone comes in and says oh I'm a different type of Christian or what-the-fuck ever I immediately think fuck this person. I don't go on Christian boards and say to tell them I'm a friendly atheist. This forum has a debate section. That's fine. I don't post in religious debates. If others want a religious space free from disagreements that's their business.
28-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Hi there.

Welcome to the forum.
There are a few beloved theists here. What they do right is to not preach. And to generally be humble and friendly. They don't regard themselves as above others or righteous.
This forum is welcoming to theists, but also have people who use it as a safe space away from religious people, who have hurt them badly in the past and present. I am an ex Christian myself, and it doesn't take much for religion to make me feel uncomfortable or anxious. So please keep that in mind.
We get a lot of people here who come with the intention of preaching to or convert atheists. This is very much not welcome and it makes everybody a bit wary of theists.
There is also people here who love to debate theists. On a good day I am more than happy to myself, though I haven't done it much on this forum. If you enter into debates, be prepared for people to attack your views in a direct fashion.

Otherwise, you'll find that people here are incredibly friendly and will want you to feel welcome and participate. Smile

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
28-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Welcome to TTA. I hope you enjoy your time here.

An intro thread is for hellos and a bit of general information. Please save the define/defend your beliefs posts for other areas of the forum.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
28-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Hi and welcome!

This sort of "Christian" behavior is what drove me from Christianity too. First from the church, which provided me enough space to eventually separate my own thoughts from the dogma. I did a ministry school program after high school, which went on for 2 years. It was intense and super fun the first year. The second year the sheen wore off. I began to resent the authority wielded over me, and the push for the leap of faith that the pastor/program leader advised (I didn't have money for the tuition the second year, but the pastor said that God would provide. Eventually, after half a year of my being hounded about it, a distant family member on my step-mom's side stepped in and paid the balance), and I also resented the false sense of community I felt. The others had deep meaningful friendships and even romantic relationships bloom in the program, but I felt weak, angry, and broken afterward- with my passion for the faith burned away.

After the program, and going back home for half a year, I decided to move back to the town where the ministry took place. Because I really liked Florida, and Maine was too damn cold in the winter. I took a job with the same church's maintenance team. The others, my friends, who had gone on to another year of the ministry school, held me at arm's length. They didn't want to be my friend- I guess they felt it was pathetic for me to come back but not be in the program. Later that year, the pastor of the church berated me because he felt that I had not done a good enough job cleaning up the leaves from the sidewalk of the church building (leaves that had blown back onto the sidewalk after it was cleaned up). That was kind of the last straw for me.

I got another job and eventually moved on in my life, but not without several arguments and confrontations with former friends from the ministry program over the next several years.

Now I feel like the program was cultish. But mixed in with all of that was an awareness for the way Christians treated each other and others in the church. Those who gave the most money were treated the best. The church essentially catered to them. They bought a community for themselves. Everyone else is left to fight over the scraps of community left over. It's not different than life outside of the church bubble, except that with my friendships outside, I have a better idea of where I stand. My friends are better people, even though some are themselves Christians, I feel like I know what to expect from them more. Of course not all Christians are bad people. But the church communities become so easily toxic. And don't even get me started on how hypocritical they are on a political level.

Anyway... welcome again! LOL. I hope you enjoy your stay here. You're not the only one with rants against the churches out there! Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post