So tired of Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2017, 05:03 AM
RE: So tired of Christians
(29-03-2017 10:35 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Hey Jack, you sound like me about 2 years ago, before I decided that deep down I knew the Bible and all the God/Jesus stuff was nonsense.

I'm in my early 40s now, went to church since I was born, and about 5 years ago things really started to bother me. The answers I had been given didn't seem to actually answer anything and thanks to YouTube, Google, etc. I was able to watch videos and read rebuttals to pretty much all the crap I had been told my whole life. I grew up pretty hardcore CoC which teaches a literal Bible interpretation. In fact they pretty much hate the term interpretation. So of course I was told evolution was a lie, Noah was real, creationism had been proven true, Jesus was a confirmed fact, etc. And come to find out a quick Google search tells you none of that shit is true.

But mostly for me it was the constant backhanded/passive aggressive nature against not just non-Christians but even Christians from different denominations. My church seemed to balk at the idea that they believed they were the only ones that were REAL Christians and the only REALLY saved ones, but it was clear that's what they thought since we spent so much time pointing it out.

I really hated church services. Bible classes were nothing but echo chambers. There was never any real discussion about anything that mattered. They never attempted to talk about actual history vs. biblical history or science (except when they found some apologist with a degree that told them what they wanted to hear). Science was demonized, medical fields were demonized (especially psychiatry and psychology). Church songs are some of the worst damn things in the world. And sermons were either hour long rants about how America sucked and God is mad, or how God is awesome and we aren't. Same shit every week. And I was expected to be there at least 3 times a week if not more.

Some of the people were/are fine but the problem is even the "good" ones are so involved in church that trying to be friends outside of church is almost pointless because being Christian IS THEIR ENTIRE LIFE. Plus any disent or disagreement is quickly shot down by guilt and accusations of division. So even the ones that might be having problems keep their mouths shut. The final straw for me was all the bitching about gay marriage and how horrible it was. I couldn't take anymore.

Probably the only downside to this whole thing is my relationship with my family has suffered. They dont' even know I'm full on atheist now, but they do know I don't go to the "right" church anymore, and that's just as bad as not going at all. I haven't had any arguments but I honestly avoid them because I know it will come up and I frankly don't want to talk about it or have to defend myself, nor listen to their guilt. I really don't want to hurt them but they are all so involved in church that it would really break them up that I don't believe like they do. My parents are also pretty old and I don't want to put anymore stress or anything on them. But having said that, I'm a goddamn grown ass man in my 40s, I am my own person and can do what I want. Thankfully I have a wife who supports me 100%.

So anyway, welcome. I love coming here to vent.

Thanks for your reply REF, I can certainly identify with many of those things. I like what you said here.

Quote:But mostly for me it was the constant backhanded/passive aggressive nature against not just non-Christians but even Christians from different denominations. My church seemed to balk at the idea that they believed they were the only ones that were REAL Christians and the only REALLY saved ones, but it was clear that's what they thought since we spent so much time pointing it out.
The Fundamentalist are by far the worse most judgmental people. I can't stand them for what they've done over the years. In the early 60's the fundees (Bob Jones University) believed they were the only ones going to heaven, and African Americans were banned from attending BJU.

Pentecostals suck too. Well, most of them anyway. I've had my problems with them. It's really stupid. One church demoizes the other, they all think their better than the other. They build their self righteous butts up by tearing others down, and then can't agree on anything. I'm anti-christian to the max, but don't get me wrong., I'm NOT anti-Christ. I just can't stand the followers of the messed up debacled religion of christianity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jack Hammer's post
30-03-2017, 05:10 AM
(29-03-2017 01:00 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 05:41 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  Have you had any contacts with other Christians? Many Protestants would tell you JW'S aren't Christians. JW'S, SDA'S, Catholics, Mormons are all on the Protestant black list.

> Yeah, I've heard that line before. The JW's will tell you that all those other groups are not real Christians. Frankly, none of them know what they're talking about and I really don't care what they think. Let the Christians fight it out among themselves.
Let the Christians fight it out among themselves!!!! Absolutely. And I don't want to be in the middle of it. JW'S aren't the only ones who think like that. It's actually a widespread belief in the religion. The forum I just left is the exact opposite of this one. It was called "Evidence for God from science." It's pretty much a dead forum. I lasted two or three days before I basically told the moderators to go to hell for condemning me for NOT believing in the pipe dream of a trinity.
[+] 1 user Likes Jack Hammer's post
30-03-2017, 05:11 AM
(30-03-2017 05:03 AM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 10:35 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Hey Jack, you sound like me about 2 years ago, before I decided that deep down I knew the Bible and all the God/Jesus stuff was nonsense.

I'm in my early 40s now, went to church since I was born, and about 5 years ago things really started to bother me. The answers I had been given didn't seem to actually answer anything and thanks to YouTube, Google, etc. I was able to watch videos and read rebuttals to pretty much all the crap I had been told my whole life. I grew up pretty hardcore CoC which teaches a literal Bible interpretation. In fact they pretty much hate the term interpretation. So of course I was told evolution was a lie, Noah was real, creationism had been proven true, Jesus was a confirmed fact, etc. And come to find out a quick Google search tells you none of that shit is true.

But mostly for me it was the constant backhanded/passive aggressive nature against not just non-Christians but even Christians from different denominations. My church seemed to balk at the idea that they believed they were the only ones that were REAL Christians and the only REALLY saved ones, but it was clear that's what they thought since we spent so much time pointing it out.

I really hated church services. Bible classes were nothing but echo chambers. There was never any real discussion about anything that mattered. They never attempted to talk about actual history vs. biblical history or science (except when they found some apologist with a degree that told them what they wanted to hear). Science was demonized, medical fields were demonized (especially psychiatry and psychology). Church songs are some of the worst damn things in the world. And sermons were either hour long rants about how America sucked and God is mad, or how God is awesome and we aren't. Same shit every week. And I was expected to be there at least 3 times a week if not more.

Some of the people were/are fine but the problem is even the "good" ones are so involved in church that trying to be friends outside of church is almost pointless because being Christian IS THEIR ENTIRE LIFE. Plus any disent or disagreement is quickly shot down by guilt and accusations of division. So even the ones that might be having problems keep their mouths shut. The final straw for me was all the bitching about gay marriage and how horrible it was. I couldn't take anymore.

Probably the only downside to this whole thing is my relationship with my family has suffered. They dont' even know I'm full on atheist now, but they do know I don't go to the "right" church anymore, and that's just as bad as not going at all. I haven't had any arguments but I honestly avoid them because I know it will come up and I frankly don't want to talk about it or have to defend myself, nor listen to their guilt. I really don't want to hurt them but they are all so involved in church that it would really break them up that I don't believe like they do. My parents are also pretty old and I don't want to put anymore stress or anything on them. But having said that, I'm a goddamn grown ass man in my 40s, I am my own person and can do what I want. Thankfully I have a wife who supports me 100%.

So anyway, welcome. I love coming here to vent.

Thanks for your reply REF, I can certainly identify with many of those things. I like what you said here.

Quote:But mostly for me it was the constant backhanded/passive aggressive nature against not just non-Christians but even Christians from different denominations. My church seemed to balk at the idea that they believed they were the only ones that were REAL Christians and the only REALLY saved ones, but it was clear that's what they thought since we spent so much time pointing it out.
The Fundamentalist are by far the worse most judgmental people. I can't stand them for what they've done over the years. In the early 60's the fundees (Bob Jones University) believed they were the only ones going to heaven, and African Americans were banned from attending BJU.

Pentecostals suck too. Well, most of them anyway. I've had my problems with them. It's really stupid. One church demoizes the other, they all think their better than the other. They build their self righteous butts up by tearing others down, and then can't agree on anything. I'm anti-christian to the max, but don't get me wrong., I'm NOT anti-Christ. I just can't stand the followers of the messed up debacled religion of christianity.

Don't take this the wrong way but... Why not just stop believing? There is no proof of a supreme being and your criticisms of all these different religions reinforces that fact. Study the bible, study all the science texts you can get your hands on and I think you will come to understand that religion is a useless antiquated practice that does more harm than good.

Richard Dawkins sums it up really well. Worth your time to watch if you have some time to spare.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
30-03-2017, 05:22 AM
(30-03-2017 05:03 AM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  The Fundamentalist are by far the worse most judgmental people. I can't stand them for what they've done over the years...

LOL... irony anyone?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
30-03-2017, 05:49 AM
Thread moved.

Carry on.
30-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Christians argue about a fictional world they believe is real.

I have no problem arguing about comic book heroes or other fictional worlds & mythology, but it's the thinking that it's real that pushes them into the insane category.

You end up with people who cannot distinguish fact from fantasy when it comes to their religion.

It's hard to reason with people like that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
30-03-2017, 07:26 AM
(30-03-2017 07:21 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Christians argue about a fictional world they believe is real.

I have no problem arguing about comic book heroes or other fictional worlds & mythology, but it's the thinking that it's real that pushes them into the insane category.

You end up with people who cannot distinguish fact from fantasy when it comes to their religion.

It's hard to reason with people like that.

> I seldom try to argue the details of Christianity with Jehovah's Witnesses, or any other sect for that matter. Nowadays, I simply tell them, "First, prove that your God exists, and we'll go from there!" That usually ends the conversation right then and there.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
30-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Jack Hammer Wrote:.. I'm not saying I'm no longer a believer, I just don't want anything to do with CHRISTIANS anymore. They are arrogant, snide, self righteous, and judgmental, etc. Always pointing out the faults of others.
To say something like this is bigotry. Don't you think so?
It is like you would say that every Muslim is evil terrorist.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
30-03-2017, 12:15 PM
(30-03-2017 11:23 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Jack Hammer Wrote:.. I'm not saying I'm no longer a believer, I just don't want anything to do with CHRISTIANS anymore. They are arrogant, snide, self righteous, and judgmental, etc. Always pointing out the faults of others.
To say something like this is bigotry. Don't you think so?
According to JH's negative rep points, he actually DOES do that concerning Muslims.

I don't personally want zero to do with any particular group, though I am willing to say that theists generally can be tiresome with their claims to be reasonable when the very basis of religious faith is demonstrably unreasonable and, often, anti-reason.

Does that make every theist arrogant, snide, self-righteous or judgmental? No. Some of them are very humble and kind. Just as some atheists are. People of all stripes often have inconsistent or illogical or unsupported views, that does not automatically make them Bad People.

My late wife's uncle and aunt are exemplars of terrific human beings, in spite of (not because of) their Methodist faith. If there are good works being done in the community, they are usually behind them in some way. My view of believers has room for people like that couple. They exist.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
30-03-2017, 06:37 PM
(30-03-2017 12:15 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 11:23 AM)Alla Wrote:  To say something like this is bigotry. Don't you think so?
According to JH's negative rep points, he actually DOES do that concerning Muslims.

I don't personally want zero to do with any particular group, though I am willing to say that theists generally can be tiresome with their claims to be reasonable when the very basis of religious faith is demonstrably unreasonable and, often, anti-reason.

Does that make every theist arrogant, snide, self-righteous or judgmental? No. Some of them are very humble and kind. Just as some atheists are. People of all stripes often have inconsistent or illogical or unsupported views, that does not automatically make them Bad People.

My late wife's uncle and aunt are exemplars of terrific human beings, in spite of (not because of) their Methodist faith. If there are good works being done in the community, they are usually behind them in some way. My view of believers has room for people like that couple. They exist.

thank you for another wonderful post Thumbsup

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED