So we quit the church and began "the talk"

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
RE: So we quit the church and began "the talk"
(04-12-2013 07:44 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Time out. Yoga is devil worship? This is news to me that people felt this way about it!

In the town I lived in a couple years ago the churches organized protests over yoga classes run through the town. They thought Hindi is devils work and the relaxation was a gateway for eastern devil worshipping to work its way in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 08:21 PM
I say congratulations. Sounds like that church was a bad fit, regardless of your faith. I would have seen even a well worded letter of concern as a veiled want of my money but at least they would have tried. This church didn't even bother to lie.

As for your son, just be honest with him. Help him learn about all the different religions and the good and bad in each of them. There are many books out there for kids that discuss world religions in an open and honest way. Encourage him toask questions and answer them honestly. That's the best any parent can do.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
04-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't know about all of that church community holabaloo but I can tell you how I have been attempting to deal with the jebus issue with my 5 year old daughter.

Its a hard topic to skirt where I come from and its getting rougher by the day. So far I've not tried to explain anything to her. I started by just telling her that when she's older I will discuss religion with her and if she wants we can go to religious events together.
She was fine with that at first but being around her grandparents and her school and hell just my city, she is becoming more persistent with the questions.

I'm really bad at keeping my thoughts to myself. But I've tried very hard not to spew forth my diatribes. The thing is between her curiosity and her school sending home pamphlets things are coming to a head.

Not sure how I'll handle it. The school needs to stop breaking the law and pushing their agenda or I'll have to publicly address it. But I don't want to shove my opinion down my kids throat before she has had a chance to look at things from a knowledgeable experienced perspective. If only I was religious I wouldn't have a problem forcing my opinions onto others.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
05-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Yup. I heard someone say things like meditation really is devil worship.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2013, 02:51 PM
(05-12-2013 02:15 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Yup. I heard someone say things like meditation really is devil worship.

Meditation is a simple exercise which can help one gain control over one's own mind.

So yes, I can certainly see why someone who would want to gain control of as many minds as possible, would spread that kind of disinformation. Wouldn't want anyone muscling in on a prospective territory. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
I was looking on Amazon at the books Kim suggested and I came across this one.

It might be a good one for your son alone or to read together

Big Question from Little People

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
(04-12-2013 09:06 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Now, I am wary to strongly push my non belief on him, wanting him to make up his mind, though I hope he sees it the way I do. I told him of the bible being stories people made up to tell people how to live and that they aren't real. I told him some stories are good, and some are outdated. And that other people believe in different gods entirely!

How else can I proceed to tell a young mind this? It's very heavy topic area. Thoughts?

I've been repeating the concept of "use your brain and make up your own mind" to my son for the bulk of his short life. He's 10 now and still makes mistakes in this regard. He doesn't believe in god largely because I don't, but I encourage him to develop his understanding of the "why" he doesn't believe, because "just because dad" isn't a good reason for anything. Lately, he appears to still believe in Santa, and I'm trying to very subtly break that so that he comes to the conclusion himself. He gets Xmas presents from anyone from Super Mario and Wolverine to Spongebob and "house ghosts" as well as "Santa." Usually, he gets one present from "me" as "Dad" and all the rest are random names.

At any rate, he has always been aware that there is not just one "god," as he is named after one--he is Odin. As you can imagine, he really enjoys the Thor movies these days. He got in trouble in school a couple years ago for telling other kids that he "is god," and we had to pull back the reigns on that one and explain that he is named after a character in mythology, but one who was based on wisdom and courage.

I caught him praying once at dinner because someone on his Mom's side of the family had apparently told him to do this, and it irked me. For one thing, he isn't their kid. He's MY kid. They need to shut the fuck up. I didn't talk "god" in the lecture he received. I asked him why he would ever thank phantoms over me who bought the food or my girlfriend who made the dinner. It was one of the few times I did not have to tell him something more than once as it has not occurred again. We thank people for what people do, not phantoms for the acts of people. And yes, I noted that, really, the people who grew, packaged, and shipped the food also matter, but thanking those of us in the room was good enough at the time.

As for the cosmological, historical, geological questions kids have--we have the internet and Carl Sagan.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
[+] 2 users Like Skeptic Gamer's post