So, we're having a, uh, white Christmas...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 06:27 PM
RE: So, we're having a, uh, white Christmas...
(23-12-2013 05:13 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 03:50 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Oh that is too bad. Nothing like a nice mature tree Sad

True. But on the bright side. Maple is beautiful for woodworking.

It never seems like the guys cutting it up and hauling it away are willing to knock off what they'll sell the trees for to a lumber yard as raw materials.

Good point on the woodworking, if a majority of the trunk is still in tact, you could hire someone to do a lovely sculpture for the yard.
[Image: 642294add6e2034898f76df8517c08b3_zpsb3b3456b.jpg]
[Image: bc829b8781ab9703dcb7950ae55898a7_zps3fdbfabf.jpg]
[Image: cd81dbd83620d0ce831ef9f935fad9a3_zps11a478ef.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
23-12-2013, 07:24 PM
(23-12-2013 03:44 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 03:36 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Wow, glad you are well! Do you have power and heat back yet?

Yeah, we have the heat back. The house was 11 degrees this morning, so it was a bit chilly.

I spent the last hour cleaning up the branches around the yard. As a gardening enthusiast, the number of trees that will have to be cut down after the storm is depressing. All these 40+ year-old maples and ashes losing almost all of their upper branches, some stripped down to the roots... My neighbour's tree is the one that's split in three by a shed. It's around 20 years old I think - it grew from a seed from one of the trees in my backyard.

Damn - Glad you're ok and GLAD you have heat. Brrrr. (and I was complaining last week about the cold in PA. Ick........I'm terrible to complain)

you stay safe!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
23-12-2013, 07:27 PM
We had a bad ice storm a couple weeks ago. Our big trees survived though there is some damage on some smaller ones. The streets through the neighborhood show the damage on every side. Big beautiful trees reduced to stacks of limbs sawed into lengths that the city can pick up. We hadn't had enough cold weather before the storm to cause the leaves to fall. All that extra foliage held too much ice and ended up causing a lot of damage.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
23-12-2013, 08:03 PM
We had one gosh almost a decade ago, a real welcome to Oregon. It was terrifying for this California girl.

What was the most scary was all the people trying to ride bikes and drive down hills...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-12-2013, 08:33 PM
(23-12-2013 08:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We had one gosh almost a decade ago, a real welcome to Oregon. It was terrifying for this California girl.

What was the most scary was all the people trying to ride bikes and drive down hills...

Yeah, we got about 6 inches of snow the other day. My husband and I have a kind of ritual, we always go somewhere on severe winter weather days (hey, it helps hone my inclement weather driving skills Thumbsup ) there were plenty of cars getting stuck in ares that hadn't been plowed yet, and we got stuck behind some guy on a bike. Wtf?? Lol
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
24-12-2013, 12:45 AM
I hate freezing rain, had some in my area a few weeks ago, but it didn't last too long.

I guess I shouldn't complain about it to a Canadian, though.
24-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Fucking global warming. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco