So what do you believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: So what do you believe?
I believe in the TheMrBillShow particularly the bit about Susan Sontag. Locally Anne Lamott comes to mind as another self indulgent overrated author. It is amazing how well educated but conflicted white women get a pass when it comes to writing stupid stuff.

Other than that I do not believe in anything other than the 49ers will win another super bowl before I die.

I do know stuff and I do not know stuff, that is life.

I do know for example if I do not get off my ass and get ready to move some people/s will be royally pissed at me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 04:42 PM
- Agnostic atheist towards the "prime mover."

- Atheist towards named anthropomorphized gods from the various holy texts and oral traditions

- I believe science has the best, evidence-based explanation for the origin of the universe and the elements that make up the fabric of reality, the stars, the planets, and my body.

- I believe in the interconnectivity of all life on earth through shared genes passed down from a common ancestor.

- I believe the biological purpose of life in general is to eat, survive, and reproduce.

- I believe, as an organism with higher cognitive abilities, I define what is purposeful about my life--no religion required.

- I believe that prayer is not a valid replacement for rolling up your sleeves and doing what needs to be done.

- I believe a belief is not worth having if you have to force it on others.

That is all I can think of at the moment. I may expand upon this in a later post.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2013, 05:04 PM
(23-07-2013 01:49 PM)JDepps Wrote:  I'm an agnostic.

You are not entirely neutral. You are either a theistic or atheistic agnostic. Do you recognize the existence of a deity?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
27-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I just want to be happy

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-07-2013, 05:08 PM
(27-07-2013 05:07 PM)smidgen Wrote:  I just want to be happy

No! You will be miserable like the rest of us! Tongue

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I believe Jesus was an alien.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
27-07-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't believe in anything that cannot be proven

I know that the only person who can affect change in my life, and the only person who is responsible for everything I do, is me.

I know that the only way to gain knowledge is to seek it honestly and without prejudice

I know that I will not live forever

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
27-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I believes man's progress lies in science and education. Oh, and i'm an atheist.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
27-07-2013, 06:22 PM
(27-07-2013 05:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 05:07 PM)smidgen Wrote:  I just want to be happy

No! You will be miserable like the rest of us! Tongue

Really, damn, just when I was starting to feel happy again you got to lay this on me. Wink

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I believe that no economy that creates so-called "externalities" can be called either efficient or inefficient, due to inadequate data. There is nothing external. We're all here, and so is everything we use.

I believe that advertising is 100% inefficient waste, accomplishing nothing good.

I believe everyone should have a say in making decisions that will impact them.

I believe our education system trains us to endure boredom, submit to authority, stop thinking at the Pavlovian ring of a bell, and see ourselves as competing with an uncaring world, rather than cooperating with peers toward common goals.

I can't prove these things, but they seem so intuitively apparent to me that I accept them as true. So, I believe them.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.