So what the fuck do I do? (work bullshit)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 07:47 AM
RE: So what the fuck do I do? (work bullshit)
I have a slightly different take on this than the others. And it is probably not one you will appreciate. Looking for another job will not make you happy. This type of crap exists most everywhere.

My advice is to suck it up and do it. F*ck the prissy @ss that refuses to do it himself. In situations like this, I always fall back to the saying "Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't." Inevitably, those that refuse to do stuff that they think they are too good for are missing out on life experiences that build character and earn respect. They will never grow. On the other hand, being willing to pick up the slack of others, to do the jobs others put themselves above, and to do it all with your own personal sense of dignity will go far to earn you the respect of others.

The trick is to do it not with an air of defeat and subservience, but to take it on as a challenge to show them you aren't afraid of getting dirty and doing crap jobs. Show them that you are willing to lead by example. Show them that real leaders roll up their sleeves and do what needs to be done. In the short term, it may not seem effectual. In the long run, however, you will build a reputation as being the guy who gets crap done and isn't afraid of hard work. It will also build an internal sense of dignity that is not dependent on the approval and opinion of others. It will pay off in the long run.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
12-05-2016, 07:56 AM
(12-05-2016 07:47 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I have a slightly different take on this than the others. And it is probably not one you will appreciate. Looking for another job will not make you happy. This type of crap exists most everywhere.

My advice is to suck it up and do it. F*ck the prissy @ss that refuses to do it himself. In situations like this, I always fall back to the saying "Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't." Inevitably, those that refuse to do stuff that they think they are too good for are missing out on life experiences that build character and earn respect. They will never grow. On the other hand, being willing to pick up the slack of others, to do the jobs others put themselves above, and to do it all with your own personal sense of dignity will go far to earn you the respect of others.

The trick is to do it not with an air of defeat and subservience, but to take it on as a challenge to show them you aren't afraid of getting dirty and doing crap jobs. Show them that you are willing to lead by example. Show them that real leaders roll up their sleeves and do what needs to be done. In the short term, it may not seem effectual. In the long run, however, you will build a reputation as being the guy who gets crap done and isn't afraid of hard work. It will also build an internal sense of dignity that is not dependent on the approval and opinion of others. It will pay off in the long run.

I'd agree, except that it seems clear to me that this is a dominance display from the ape at the top. As far as I can see, they're currently trying to force Muffs to buckle purely because he defied them, rather than because they actually care about the dustbins. Under those circumstances I don't see that caving is beneficial. Or maybe it still is, but if it was me I'd really struggle to do so. There's ways to play this as a manager that don't involve antagonising employees, and Muffs's guy clearly hasn't done that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-05-2016, 08:02 AM
(12-05-2016 07:47 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I have a slightly different take on this than the others. And it is probably not one you will appreciate. Looking for another job will not make you happy. This type of crap exists most everywhere.

And that's great, if you work for a leader instead of a boss. But unscrupulous asshats without qualms of taking advantage of you will take advantage of you. Or at least, this has been my experience at every job I've ever had. I stopped being emotionally invested in my work a long time ago, being attached just lets those around you take advantage. I'd love to work someplace where that wasn't the case, where merit really was rewarded; but I've jumped from one nepotistic situation to the next unfortunately. That kind of shit just sort of grinds all the enthusiasm out of someone.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-05-2016, 08:04 AM

The only reputation he will get by following your advice is that of a doormat who will let people walk all over him. No, I think earmuffs should keep looking for work until he finds a place where the management doesn't practice blatant nepotism.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
12-05-2016, 08:18 AM
I suppose you could always do the job so poorly that they make the original douche do it, or you could bring in a doctor’s note saying you can’t lift heavy items...

Do what Vosur said, line up a new job before making a stand.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-05-2016, 08:21 AM
(12-05-2016 08:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

The only reputation he will get by following your advice is that of a doormat who will let people walk all over him. No, I think earmuffs should keep looking for work until he finds a place where the management doesn't practice blatant nepotism.

Fair enough. I'm not in the situation so it is difficult to judge the best course of action. The compromise, I suppose, would be to take my approach in the short term whilst seeking an opportunity in a better environment.

At least then when answering the inevitable interview question of why he is leaving his current job, he can use the situation as an example of how he is willing to do the hard work but wants to do it somewhere that it is appreciated.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
12-05-2016, 08:42 AM
I know a guy who has never in his life been able to keep a job for more than a month or so -- the boss always turns out to be an asshole. I find it hard to believe that all of them are assholes (maybe this guy I know is the asshole), but certainly some of them are. So what? You gotta make a living, and unless and until you figure out a way to "be your own boss" (and that ain't no picnic either), you have to learn to put up with some shit.

I'm basically with TurkeyBurner on this one, although Vosur's advice is also good. I definitely wouldn't just up and quit unless jobs are easier to get there than they are here, or you don't mind being a homeless bum.

When I was young, I did just up and quit a job for similar reasons to yours -- but I was still living with my parents, so it wasn't that big a deal. If you have to pay your own bills, keep the job at least until you have another one lined up.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
12-05-2016, 08:45 AM
My work philosophy has always been, you take their money, you take their shit.

When you stop taking their shit, you've stopped collecting a paycheck, (best to have something else lined up before you leave).

You'll always have to take someone's shit.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-05-2016, 09:27 AM
(12-05-2016 08:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My work philosophy has always been, you take their money, you take their shit.

When you stop taking their shit, you've stopped collecting a paycheck, (best to have something else lined up before you leave).

You'll always have to take someone's shit.

Hug

Life is like a shit sandwhich...
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-05-2016, 09:47 AM
If I understood correctly there's a supervisor who's essentially ignoring his responsibilities and a top manager is letting him get away with it because they're buddies. Additionally there are two other managers and a supervisor who agree with you. The responsibility is supposed to handled by two security staff members on alternating weeks.

So if I put this all together right you have a job where there is 1 top manager and at least 2 other managers, 2 supervisors, and only 2 staff members? Why are there so many managerial positions? There's your problem right there. Go someplace where the hierarchy isn't so top-heavy.