So, whats your favourite mythological story?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 09:36 PM
So, whats your favourite mythological story?
Mine has to be the story of the Olympians and Titans. The Greeks never really made excuses for their Gods being pricks, unlike today, we can manage to justify genocide.

I LOVE the story of Prometheus rebelling against the Gods to help humanity. Awesome sauce!

What about yours?

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Just Another Atheist's post
08-04-2014, 09:41 PM
RE: So, whats your favourite mythological story?
(08-04-2014 09:36 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Mine has to be the story of the Olympians and Titans. The Greeks never really made excuses for their Gods being pricks, unlike today, we can manage to justify genocide.

I LOVE the story of Prometheus rebelling against the Gods to help humanity. Awesome sauce!

What about yours?

The Norse Gods had some great stories.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I love the story of Eros and Psyche. Very romantic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Native American mythology can be pretty beautiful... The Great Spirit, the drums and dancing, the smell of sweet grass. I like the respect they have for the land and nature, that is wise.

The closest passage into the Rocky Mountains from my place has this one mountain that the blackfoot tribe used to travel by long before the settlers as a place where they'd burry their chiefs. The first mountain looks like a chief laying down and the view is a profile view. I passed it about a month ago and finally took a photo of it. His headdress is to the left, then you can see his face profile (the sharp cliff is his chin down his throat) and his body to the right bellow. Pretty neat.

[Image: PLJ_2963_zps2597661e.jpg]

Just as I was about the take my camera down, a big wind roared up loud through the valley and blew the snow up on his forehead. If I was a mythological believer, I'd say Chief was giving me the thumbsup. Thumbsup

[Image: PLJ_2967_zpse6ce91e9.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
08-04-2014, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 11:24 PM by EvolutionKills.)
The Poetic Edda > The Torah

The Odyssey > The Bible

Beowulf > The Qu'ran

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-04-2014, 10:28 PM
There's lots of great mythological stories in pretty much every culture on the globe.
There's lots of shit ones too but w/e.

I think though, like I would imagine most people, the Greeks ones stand out.
When you play fantasy video games most of the monsters are based off Greek mythological monsters. The Greek stories behind their heroes and monsters are great too. Perceus and Medusa, Hercules and the Nemean Lion (a lion with skin so thick arrows and spears couldn't pierce it so Hercules strangled it to death.), Theseus and the Minotaur (with the maze and shit), Jason and the golden fleece, Atalanta and the golden apple etc.. etc..

Timeless classic good stories of heroes and fare ladies in need of rescuing. So good that there are hollywood movies based around them.

So SO much better than the Christian bible stories. Why couldn't the dominate religions be like ancient Greek and Norse? the world be such a bitchin' place.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Spiderman!

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
08-04-2014, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 10:59 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I like the original Grail Myth. It has some pretty awesome insights, and symbols ... such as the fisher king, and the horse's hooves being clipped on the draw-bridge, etc, and how exactly the knight finds out that what he was looking for, was always right there, if he only asked the correct question.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Grimm faery tails. Raw unabridged versions.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-04-2014, 11:43 PM
The greek is great. The medieval christian is also amazing, with all the demons and angels and really weird shit.

Don't know much about others though, good thing to add to the "need to learn" list

[Image: sigvacachica.png]