So, whats your favourite mythological story?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 11:29 PM
RE: So, whats your favourite mythological story?
Dionysus. Definitely Dionysus.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
10-04-2014, 12:09 AM
I dunno...Ill have to think on that..... Consider

Tongue
Find all posts by this user
10-04-2014, 02:36 AM
Well, I do love Greek mythology and it's not really a coincidence Tongue

I can't say I have any specific favorite myth, but I love how everything is so detailed and coherent.
For example, I love the dark family of death, sleep and darkness. Nyx (night) and Erebus (darkness) were the parents of the twins Hypnos (sleep) and Thanatos (death). Hypnos got married to Pasithea (personification of relaxation and hallucinations) and Morpheus (god of dreams) was one of their children.

I was also fascinated by a Native American inspired myth I read about in a short story by a Canadian author (if anyone knows or has any idea, help me remember who).
The story was about a tribe's medicine man who had a vision of the Europeans' invasion and, in an attempt to keep their spirit alive, he hid all his people's courage in a secret island. Since then, Native Americans have lost their courage and they have been searching for that island to get it back. All figurative of course Big Grin

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-04-2014, 02:51 AM
(10-04-2014 02:36 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ...
All figurative of course Big Grin

Ohmy

Really? You don't say! Big Grin

You've given me a new line to scribble in hotel bibles and qurans. Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-04-2014, 04:04 AM
I always liked the Persephone myth. When Hades kidnaps her and takes her to the underworld as his queen. Her mother Demeter, an earth Goddess, is so distressed that it causes the earth to become barren.

Zeus decides something must be done and tells Hades he has to release Persephone but she has consumed some pomegranate while in the underworld so is bound to it. A deal is struck that she spends half of the year in the underworld and half on earth with her mother. Hence winter and summer.

There's probably other versions but I like this one.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
10-04-2014, 04:05 AM
The Illiad.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-04-2014, 05:18 AM
(09-04-2014 11:04 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 11:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The Maori legend of how New Zealand came to be is... interesting.

The legend goes, What's His Face and What's His Face's Brother were fishing in their canoe (which is the South Island). When What's His Face fished up a huge fish, the North Island. What's His Face's brother was jealous or something and started beating the fish (North Island) with his club thing which is how we got all the mountains and rivers.
Stewart Island is the whale bone hook he used to catch the North Island.

There's also one about a bunch of Maori using flax rope to catch the sun because it was out of control or something and so they made the sun become the day and nights.

Something like that anyway. Maori culture time coincided with my sleep time during school.

That's a sub par post for a guy who bitches about the differences between a dragon and a wyvern Sleepy

*shrug*

Maori legends aren't important.

[Image: oscar.png]
10-04-2014, 05:29 AM
King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
10-04-2014, 06:02 AM
  • I always liked the Greek stories as a kid.
  • I like Tolkien's mythology that he sets up, although I find a lot of parts of his books rather dry.
  • Along the lines of Tolkien, I like a lot of D&D mythology that spawned from it. Not any one particular setting, but just that sort of hodge podge of random cultures. Although, D&D religion tends to get extremely stupid, so, there's that.
  • I like what bit I've read of Lovecraft. I like seeing stories inspired from his works.
10-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Irish mythological stories, not surprising for me I suppose. We were told the old stories as children. My favorite is a story called The Children of Lir.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí