So, where do we talk about football?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
RE: So, where do we talk about football?
Ugh. LSU vs. Alabama. That is like choosing between a rock and a hard place. I suppose as a Tennessee fan (I know we suck as of late, so fuck off) I would choose Georgia. I am so frustrated with college football as of late that I don't follow it all that much.

NFL? I could discuss that a bit more. My 49ers are actually kicking ass this season! Thanks to Harbaugh and a stout defense!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-12-2011, 03:31 PM
(02-12-2011 03:28 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ugh. LSU vs. Alabama. That is like choosing between a rock and a hard place. I suppose as a Tennessee fan (I know we suck as of late, so fuck off) I would choose Georgia. I am so frustrated with college football as of late that I don't follow it all that much.

NFL? I could discuss that a bit more. My 49ers are actually kicking ass this season! Thanks to Harbaugh and a stout defense!

Well, Georgia doesn't stand a chance. And I'm psyched about playing Bama again. 4 weeks to prep and Jordan Jefferson will be playing the entire game. Remember, Lee started the Bama game and JJ came in after 2 interceptions by JL. Regardless of it being a rematch Alabama is clearly the 2nd best team in the country and should play for the NC. Not their fault they are in the same division as the #1 team.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
(02-12-2011 02:34 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  For me football means what you Americans call soccer. Over here we reserved the title of football for a game played predominantly with the feet Big Grin.

I actually thought that a thread on football by a guy named GermanyT was going to be about soccer.

Thank the Deity, it's about real football.
Geaux anybody not from the SEC!!!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-12-2011, 03:36 PM
(02-12-2011 03:31 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 03:28 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ugh. LSU vs. Alabama. That is like choosing between a rock and a hard place. I suppose as a Tennessee fan (I know we suck as of late, so fuck off) I would choose Georgia. I am so frustrated with college football as of late that I don't follow it all that much.

Well, Georgia doesn't stand a chance. And I'm psyched about playing Bama again. 4 weeks to prep and Jordan Jefferson will be playing the entire game. Remember, Lee started the Bama game and JJ came in after 2 interceptions by JL. Regardless of it being a rematch Alabama is clearly the 2nd best team in the country and should play for the NC. Not their fault they are in the same division as the #1 team.

But a rematch undermines the entire premise of "every game counts." Hell it even undermines the fact that there are other conferences. They may be the two best teams in the nation but if the regular season is (more or less) the playoffs of college football, then Alabama lost and has no right to play in the championship game (when they lost to the #1 team). If the BCS is to remain the set system, then other conferences have to get their time in the spotlight, otherwise the only conference that will matter will be the SEC and the other conferences will be treated as second fiddle.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
02-12-2011, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 03:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-12-2011 02:34 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Over here we reserved the title of football for a game played predominantly with the feet Big Grin.

Fuckin' Brits. You've always been sticklers for making sense. Over here we just like watchin' big ass men run into each other as hard as possible. It's more like choreographed Sumo on steroids than soccer. ... Fuckin' Brits. But you do know how to throw a decent drunken riot over a meaningless soccer match. I'll give you that. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
germanyt and I make an odd couple... but we are united under LSU and the Saints.

Oh... and this place we work.

But, yeah, Georgia is going to get roflstomp'd, and it will be an all SEC National Championship. It's glorious watching the rest of the country whine about the SEC.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Patriots are 8-3. Wink

But I hardly watch TV and haven't seen a game since last year. I like football. Soccer is rather boring to watch. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2011, 04:19 PM
(02-12-2011 03:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fuckin' Brits. You've always been sticklers for making sense. Over here we just like watchin' big ass men run into each other as hard as possible. It's more like choreographed Sumo on steroids than soccer. ... Fuckin' Brits. But you do know how to throw a decent drunken riot over a meaningless soccer match. I'll give you that. Wink

We've been overtaken on the riot front recently. Turks and Italians have started throwing flares at players when they get pissed off. Our rioters are puffs compared to that.

We have a game that's similar to American football called rugby. The rules are different but it still involves 'watchin' big ass men run into each other as hard as possible' with the exception that they don't wear full body armour like a bunch of fucking pussies Big Grin.

Quote:Thank the Deity, it's about real football.

I think we'll save the tag of 'real football' for the worlds most popular sport Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
02-12-2011, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 04:29 PM by germanyt.)
(02-12-2011 03:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 03:31 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

But a rematch undermines the entire premise of "every game counts." Hell it even undermines the fact that there are other conferences. They may be the two best teams in the nation but if the regular season is (more or less) the playoffs of college football, then Alabama lost and has no right to play in the championship game (when they lost to the #1 team). If the BCS is to remain the set system, then other conferences have to get their time in the spotlight, otherwise the only conference that will matter will be the SEC and the other conferences will be treated as second fiddle.

But there is no playoff system. The reg season can't be treated as such. The entire purpose of the BCS rankings is to place the 2 best teams in the country in the National Championship. There is no (or shouldn't be) any denying that those two teams are LSU and Alabama. If we allow Ok St into the NCG after having lost to Iowa St. over an Alabama team that lost by 3 points in OT to the #1 team in the nation then we create the problem that everyone claims is wrong with the BCS. I like the BCS because it makes each game that much more important. I'm fine with a playoff as well but being ranked #5 and losing in week 7 won't be that big a deal becasue if you win out anyway you will still make the playoffs. The same problem will exist too. Somethign has to determine playoff teams. It can't be teams per conference because clearly LSU, Bama, Arkansas, and maybe Georgia should be in an 8+ team playoff. So who decides playoff teams? A BCS style ranking system that people will still complain about. Which team is #8 and gets in or however many teams are in it. The SEC would mow over a playoff bracket and still win the NC every year. Imagine teams like Ok St, Boise, VT, etc playing playoff games against other top 10 teams for a few weeks straight. Exposed.
(02-12-2011 04:19 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 03:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fuckin' Brits. You've always been sticklers for making sense. Over here we just like watchin' big ass men run into each other as hard as possible. It's more like choreographed Sumo on steroids than soccer. ... Fuckin' Brits. But you do know how to throw a decent drunken riot over a meaningless soccer match. I'll give you that. Wink

We've been overtaken on the riot front recently. Turks and Italians have started throwing flares at players when they get pissed off. Our rioters are puffs compared to that.

We have a game that's similar to American football called rugby. The rules are different but it still involves 'watchin' big ass men run into each other as hard as possible' with the exception that they don't wear full body armour like a bunch of fucking pussies Big Grin.

Quote:Thank the Deity, it's about real football.

I think we'll save the tag of 'real football' for the worlds most popular sport Big Grin.

First of all, since we're clearly gonna have a US vs UK dick showing contest. Rugby players would get killed by NFL players. The size, speed and strength of your average NFL linebacker or strong safety would break the back of the average rugby player in a collision. I'd post youtube vids of hits in the NFL vs rugby but I can't access youtube from this comp. There aren't 6'4" 350lb guys that can run a 4.4 40m in rugby.

Second, I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure NASCAR is the largest spectator sport in teh world. So I dont' know that I'd call soccer the most popular. Soccer can come after each motorsport. Forumla 1, NASCAR, Indy............................................................................​..then soccer.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-12-2011, 04:55 PM
On the most popular sport, I don't really fancy doing in depth research so I've just google'd it and look at the first links, I am not claiming that they are 100% infallible.

Wiki-Answers

Fanatix

MostPopularSports

Sports Pundit

WorldsMostUnique

Can't really comment on a rugby vs American football situation as I don't know enough about American football. To be honest I imagine you're probably right though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note since when has cricket been the worlds second most popular sport, I wouldn't have said cricket in a million years.

Would anyone else have said Cricket?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why we need a sports category. So we can properly discuss this sorta stuff instead of on just one thread!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post