So, who is freezing and how much snow do you have?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: So, who is freezing and how much snow do you have?
(05-01-2014 08:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Goodness.... it hits 75 here in Phoenix but does drop down into the 40's at night.

Angel

And here I though I had it good. I'm jealous! Censored Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 06:37 PM
(05-01-2014 06:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 05:46 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I'm just glad I don't have anywhere I have to go. Do people still work when it's windchill -40? This is my first northern winter since I was a kid.

Yes, you still have to go to work. Dodgy

Well that stinks for everyone who has to work but it is good news for me. I was afraid if I stepped outside I would be instantly frozen. I'm glad that is not the case.
05-01-2014, 06:50 PM
(05-01-2014 06:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 06:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, you still have to go to work. Dodgy

Well that stinks for everyone who has to work but it is good news for me. I was afraid if I stepped outside I would be instantly frozen. I'm glad that is not the case.

You need to dress for it. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Hey, all you wussies. Canadians are realistic about the cold, eh.

50 Fahrenheit (10ºC)
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6ºC)
Italian Cars won’t start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0ºC)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9ºC)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51ºC)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9 Fahrenheit (-78.5ºC)
Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114ºC)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can’t thaw the keg

-459.67 Fahrenheit (-273.15ºC)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying “cold, eh?”

-500 Fahrenheit (-295ºC)
Hell freezes over.
The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

So if the wind chill hits -35º on Monday morning, run outside naked for nine minutes and 59 seconds, and call your East Coast pals.
Tell them the actual temperature and what you just did and see if they can top it with their little snowstorm.

If it doesn’t impress them, just tell them it’s colder here than the surface of Mars.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2014, 08:41 PM
(05-01-2014 07:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hey, all you wussies. Canadians are realistic about the cold, eh.

50 Fahrenheit (10ºC)
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6ºC)
Italian Cars won’t start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0ºC)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9ºC)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51ºC)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9 Fahrenheit (-78.5ºC)
Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114ºC)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can’t thaw the keg

-459.67 Fahrenheit (-273.15ºC)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying “cold, eh?”

-500 Fahrenheit (-295ºC)
Hell freezes over.
The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

So if the wind chill hits -35º on Monday morning, run outside naked for nine minutes and 59 seconds, and call your East Coast pals.
Tell them the actual temperature and what you just did and see if they can top it with their little snowstorm.

If it doesn’t impress them, just tell them it’s colder here than the surface of Mars.

Lol. Thanks. Really though is it likely to lose power when it's this windy and snowing and -35? This is my first winter storm, and being all by myself with three small children makes me pretty nervous!
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
05-01-2014, 08:52 PM
(05-01-2014 08:41 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Lol. Thanks. Really though is it likely to lose power when it's this windy and snowing and -35? This is my first winter storm, and being all by myself with three small children makes me pretty nervous!

Hmmm I think you have as much chance in any snow storm. I don't know how much the cold changes it. Biggest problem would be snow and ice collecting on power lines, causing them to break. I wouldn't worry too much if the storm itself isn't all that bad. Stay warm!!
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
05-01-2014, 09:00 PM
The last winter I spent in the midwest we were snowed in (on my grandparents' old farm) three weekends out of four in the month of January. The last weekend I was stranded at the house with two kids; a four year old and a six week old. I also had a new puppy. Along with the mountains of snow we got, we had 70 below wind chill factors. It was a hundred plus year old house and there was no alternate heat, like a fireplace. Power went out all around us and pipes froze in other farmhouses. The kids and I slept in the smallest room of the house, my oldest and I in a single bed and the baby bundled up so she could barely move in the crib next to us. What I would have done if we had lost power, I don't know.

A couple days later two friends came over on a snowmobile, one stayed with the kids while I rode with the other into town to get diapers, formula, and a couple other essentials. I swore I would never spend another winter in the midwest. I left one year later.

A couple years later I did spend one winter back in Iowa but it was pretty mild, that was the last one. I may have grown up there but I am not cut out for winter weather.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Just like you anjele, here in DFW area, it gets freezing. The temps you gave are pretty accurate. Don't know why I'm posting. Just bored. I wish I could move somewhere warm year round. I hate the cold. When I said freezing, that means about low 40s and under. That's cold to me. I almost miss the 110 degree weather.
06-01-2014, 12:43 AM
(05-01-2014 07:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We don't have snow and aren't supposed to get any here in north Texas; of course that can change at any moment.

In the morning it's supposed to be 16 degrees F with a windchill of 4 degrees for my drive to work.

My niece, in Chicago, posted a picture of a white, frozen lump that apparently contained her car.

What's up in your part of the world?

It's supposed to be 11 degrees here, which is freaky. I've only seen snow twice. Several schools have already canceled our return tomorrow because of iced roads and rain on top of the temperature. I guess we're not very acclimate, heh.
06-01-2014, 02:42 AM
These boneheaded weathermen said it was supposed to be -40 F with snow falling at a rate of between 1 and three inches per hour. Instead it got down to 16 F and we had a skift.