So who's Watching the Debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: So who's Watching the Debate
I give Bill Nye credit just for the simple fact that he didn't seem to get angry while debating a moron. I know I wouldn't be able to do the same.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
To be fair, the debate was very polite, and there wasn't really a home advantage for Ham. The audience was also nice and not partisan as expected. I believe that some people will benefit from this debate, mainly because Bill Nye has shown that science is full of wonder and not just a list of cold facts.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
04-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Alexandro does make a great point. Bill did a great job of making science seem interesting and exciting, something to be enthusiastically explored.
04-02-2014, 09:04 PM
I want to emphasize that this is Bill Nye's first formal debate and I was very scared for him, but he has played it like a pro. It is all because he is passionate and has evidence on his side.
[+] 2 users Like adrenbey's post
04-02-2014, 09:28 PM
My first post...relatively new to the atheist and debate world. I've watched a few of Hitchens debates online as well as the one in Austrailia with Richard Dawkins. I watched this whole debate.

Nye was not as polished as any of the others, this being his first debate, and he missed a few key areas (not pointing out other creation myths, not hammering Ham on evidence, not hammering Ham on the Astronomy point when Ham brought it up several times), but I thought he killed Ham for most of the night. Nye's enthusiasm was contagious, he was thought provoking and gave lots of evidence for an old earth. Ham was much too reliant on the Biblical text and gave very little pseudoscience.

Very proud of Nye.
[+] 4 users Like mrkylefmoore's post
04-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Is it just me or do you find it ironic that Ken's name is Ham?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
04-02-2014, 11:15 PM
(04-02-2014 11:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Is it just me or do you find it ironic that Ken's name is Ham?

A beautiful irony at that Thumbsup

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
(04-02-2014 11:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Is it just me or do you find it ironic that Ken's name is Ham?

Forgive me for ignorance, but how is it ironic?
04-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Ham is a euphemism for a hack.

Or is that a hock?

Ham Hock...get it?

I kill me.

I just listened to it again, I really wouid have liked to have heard Nye challenge the idea that most cultures have a creation myth. Most cultures near water or in areas prone to flooding have a flood myth also. These predate the bible.

I believe the plains Indians in north America has a fire myth similar to the flood myth, since lightning strikes were bad.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-02-2014, 11:29 PM
(04-02-2014 11:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ham is a euphemism for a hack.

Or is that a hock?

Ham Hock...get it?

I kill me.

I don't think that is irony, that's more of a coincidence. I think it would be ironic if Ham had something about telling the truth/honesty or sanity in his name.