So, who's cooking a big Thanksgiving feast? And whatcha making?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2012, 08:51 AM
So, who's cooking a big Thanksgiving feast? And whatcha making?
Who's cooking?

I generally don't much like to cook but do like to make Thanksgiving dinner for some reason. Having lived away from family for so many years means I had to learn to be the one to prepare the meal, it's my one big cooking adventure every year.

The turkey is thawing in the fridge. My specialties are turkey gravy and my spicy pumpkin pie. Drooling There will also be mashed potatoes, baked mac and cheese, green beans, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, candied yams, and dinner rolls. It will just be my son, husband, and I this year so I won't have a lot of the snacking stuff I have had in years past.

Of course there will be way too much food and we will be tired of turkey long before it's gone.

Do you have a signature dish that the family looks forward to every year?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-11-2012, 09:00 AM
RE: So, who's cooking a big Thanksgiving feast? And whatcha making?
bah humbug.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Geez HoC, you are even against good food? Ya grump.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Turkey, Dressing this year instead of stuffing (cornbread variety), Pumpkin pie, Apple Pie (I hope), corn, yeast rolls (if we can find the bloody things), home-made mac and cheese.

The yeast rolls with turkey the next day are heaven...

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Helping my parents cook shit tomorrow, so might not be online much on Wednesday or Thursday.

'Murica.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
20-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I considered cooking just for myself - I love leftover turkey and stuffing - but at the store decided not to and just to go with some ham and fixings and also bought a big slice of very decadent chocoloate cake. I may buy a turkey yet after thanksgiving - I don't really understand why we eat turkey thanksgiving and xmas - twice in a row - and none all year round.

I decided to just skip thanksgiving this year and make it a spa day - soak in my jet tub, pamper myself, drink some bubbly...eat chocolate cake... take a nap... and just take it very easy. Total opposite of many thanksgivings in the past when I was rushing around with a house full of people...

This year isn't right yet for me to do a holiday - I would miss hubby too much and am afraid it would be a disaster. So I am going to just take it easy... and I am looking forward to it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I love cranberry sauce but I hate the gelatinous mess that comes in the cans. I make a Pear-Ginger Cranberry Sauce every year, except now I substitute Splenda insterad of sugar 'cause of the diabetes.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Once you start making your own cranberry stuff, the shit in the cans just looks horrifying. And it's not even hard to do.

Used to eat at the grandparents', this year I am eating at my cousin's because the grandparents moved into a smaller house and have like 50 people coming over, and I don't even want to deal with that.

But every year, people expect me to bring pies. Always pies. Lemon meringue, lime, raspberry chocolate cheesecake, chocolate mousse pies, etc. Probably doing some kinda pumpkin thing on Thursday though, possibly more than one. People also expect me to bring pies for Christmas, birthdays, and any other occasion. I don't mind though, even though I don't really eat much pie myself. I am told that I make good pies though.
21-11-2012, 06:23 PM
My friend Marilyn and her sister Marcia were doing veggie prep this afternoon, and Marcia brought over three pies - pumpkin, pecan, and apple. Drooling Dinner will be six of us.

I just finished getting the turkey into the brine - I've never done this before. My big job tomorrow is to make gravy. I'm pretty good at that.

The turkey wasn't entirely thawed when it went into the brine; anyone with experience here to tell me if this is a problem? Should I add time?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
21-11-2012, 06:28 PM
(21-11-2012 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  My friend Marilyn and her sister Marcia were doing veggie prep this afternoon, and Marcia brought over three pies - pumpkin, pecan, and apple. Drooling Dinner will be six of us.

I just finished getting the turkey into the brine - I've never done this before. My big job tomorrow is to make gravy. I'm pretty good at that.

The turkey wasn't entirely thawed when it went into the brine; anyone with experience here to tell me if this is a problem? Should I add time?

Should be fine.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man