So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
So, whose forum is this, anyway?
Essentially, the forum has been run by cabal for at least a year, if not always.
The cabal changes, but the members are not chosen by Seth or his designee, but by members of the cabal.

The cabal makes and enforces the rules. Occasionally, this appears to go against popular will. This is not necessarily bad, it is like a court ruling for minority rights.

I would like to put to wide discussion and popular poll a clear rule be added that allows disruptive members to be booted. My example du jour is I and I.

When a member brings nothing positive to the forum and just flames away, it is harmful to the forum.
I know the free speech faction will react in their predictable way, but free speech is not an absolute right.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-07-2013, 08:21 AM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
Well!

I do think that more and more new members leave after a few posts, and even more never sign up after reading some of the content.

The forum has a lot of interesting discussions, but they are at times drowned out by very unproductive and generally hostile threads, usually conspiracies.

Sometimes I wonder if the atheist theme is being maintained at all, it seems like we have a preponderance of conspiracy threads.

This does alienate a lot of people who may otherwise join and become active members.

To me, the issue is not free speech but rather staying on topic.

What do conspiracies have to do with atheism?

Other non atheist topics have their own forums, like food for example. Conspiracy theories get sprinkled throughout the place. I think at the very least they should be contained, so people can better choose to read them or not.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-07-2013, 08:24 AM
That asshole makes an example out himself every other day. Dodgy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-07-2013, 08:31 AM
As-chay, id-day you-ay eally-ray ink-thay is-thay ould-way even-ay e-bay eriously-say onsidered-cay, et-lay alone-ay enacted-ay?
At-whay orum-fay ave-hay ou-yay een-bay on-ay e-thay ast-lay o-tway ears-yay?

Esides-bay, Ughsie-hay ont-way ike-lay is-thay o-say on't-day even-ay expect-ay a-ay ealthy-hay iscussion-day on-ay e-thay ubject-say.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
03-07-2013, 08:37 AM
(03-07-2013 08:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  As-chay, id-day you-ay eally-ray ink-thay is-thay ould-way even-ay e-bay eriously-say onsidered-cay, et-lay alone-ay enacted-ay?
At-whay orum-fay ave-hay ou-yay een-bay on-ay e-thay ast-lay o-tway ears-yay?

Esides-bay, Ughsie-hay ont-way ike-lay is-thay o-say on't-day even-ay expect-ay a-ay ealthy-hay iscussion-day on-ay e-thay ubject-say.

This is a serious question, so fuck off, eh. Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Obviously-ay idn't-day ead-ray y-may ost-pay. :offee-cay:

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
I think if you wish to ban people then you need to define "disruptive"

If its about breaking the few rules we have here, then after multiple warnings and if everything fails to resolve the situation then yes... banning is a regrettable option.

If its about attitude, opinions, beliefs then I would say no to banning.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
(03-07-2013 08:41 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think if you wish to ban people then you need to define "disruptive"

If its about breaking the few rules we have here, then after multiple warnings and if everything fails to resolve the situation then yes... banning is a regrettable option.

If its about attitude, opinions, beliefs then I would say no to banning.

It is a judgement call as to whose actions are disruptive. It is not about content, per se, but about the pattern of posting behavior.

It is a discretionary call and would probably require a rule change to enable it.

03-07-2013, 08:47 AM
(03-07-2013 08:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Obviously-ay idn't-day ead-ray y-may ost-pay. :offee-cay:

No shit, eh. Drinking Beverage

03-07-2013, 08:49 AM
(03-07-2013 08:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 08:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Obviously-ay idn't-day ead-ray y-may ost-pay. :offee-cay:

No shit, eh. Drinking Beverage

O-nay eed-nay o-tay et-gay our-yay anties-pay in-ay a-ay ist-tway ere-thay asy-chay oy-bay.