So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
(03-07-2013 08:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  a clear rule be added that allows disruptive members to be booted.

When a member brings nothing positive to the forum and just flames away, it is harmful to the forum.

(03-07-2013 08:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well!

I do think that more and more new members leave after a few posts, and even more never sign up after reading some of the content.

The forum has a lot of interesting discussions, but they are at times drowned out by very unproductive and generally hostile threads, usually conspiracies.

Sometimes I wonder if the atheist theme is being maintained at all, it seems like we have a preponderance of conspiracy threads.

This does alienate a lot of people who may otherwise join and become active members.

To me, the issue is not free speech but rather staying on topic.

What do conspiracies have to do with atheism?

as a fairly new member-who doesn't know all the history & drama of members. I have debated whether or not to come back many times.

I find myself in the personal issues forum most often because that is where most of the atheism and connecting to other members is occurring, IMO. And I find myself reading the threads about recent news...the atheist statue, abortion laws, gay rights.

I have said this before....I kick the crazy nut-job religious people off my porch ALL.THE.TIME but it seems like the TTA invites EVERY nut job (of every flavor) in for a drink and to talk awhile. I don't have the time or desire to put up with that.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-07-2013, 08:55 AM
(03-07-2013 08:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 08:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  a clear rule be added that allows disruptive members to be booted.

When a member brings nothing positive to the forum and just flames away, it is harmful to the forum.

I do think that more and more new members leave after a few posts, and even more never sign up after reading some of the content.

The forum has a lot of interesting discussions, but they are at times drowned out by very unproductive and generally hostile threads, usually conspiracies.

Sometimes I wonder if the atheist theme is being maintained at all, it seems like we have a preponderance of conspiracy threads.

This does alienate a lot of people who may otherwise join and become active members.

as a fairly new member-who doesn't know all the history & drama of members. I have debated whether or not to come back many times.

I find myself in the personal issues forum most often because that is where most of the atheism and connecting to other members is occurring, IMO. And I find myself reading the threads about recent news...the atheist statue, abortion laws, gay rights.

I have said this before....I kick the crazy nut-job religious people off my porch ALL.THE.TIME but it seems like the TTA invites EVERY nut job (of every flavor) in for a drink and to talk awhile. I don't have the time or desire to put up with that.

Ell-way I-ay ow-knay Ark-stay always-ay aid-say at-thay A-TTay asn't-way or-fay everyone-ay.

I-ay ink-thay e-thay iggest-bay oblem-pray is-ay e-thay older-ay uys-gay (onger-lay on-ay e-thay orum-fay, ot-nay age-ay) ave-hay one-day e-thay atheist-ay opics-tay o-tay eath-day and-ay are-ay ored-bay of-ay em-thay.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
This forum holds true to the notion of "freedom of speech".

If you can't handle others exercising this freedom without breaking the forum rules, the this place may no longer be for you.

Banning for nebulous reasons such as "disruptive" is a form of bigotry, which the forum strives to not condone. If someone has not broken the rules, a banning will not occur.

That is the authoritarian right of the admins of the forum and is not up to a democratic vote.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Muffs I really like you, but I haven't had any coffee, speak fuckin english!

[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Fine, but only because you asked nicely. Big Grin

As Stark use to say when he was Kingpin, TTA is not for everybody.
There are other forums, atheists forums, that have stricter rules and such and are more focused etc...
If that is what you are looking for then perhaps you'd have better luck in a place like that. Nobody is forcing you to stay.
I'm not saying fuck off we don't want you, I'm (and Stark was) saying this is us, that is them, the choice is yours.
Obviously we'd like nice people like you to stay, but shit happens.

TTA has always had near complete freedom of speech. That's what it's always stood for and that is what it always will.

As for what I was saying to Chas, what forum have you been on the last year a half home-boy??
Seriously, you must have known this would never be up for discussion.

As for "keeping on topic" of atheism. We're bored. That's the way I see it, the older (longer on the forum, not age) members have done every religious/atheist thread out there. The whole atheist/theism forum is one big "same ol' shit, different day". And newer members like yourself come here for said threads, the same threads longer time members have done over and over.

There's only so much you can tell people how stupid the bible is before you just give up.

[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I completely understand this may not be the place for me.

I stay to the parts of it that I feel comfortable with and ignore the rest.

I think the powers that be need to decide what goal they want for this forum. Since this topic has come up a few times recently, maybe its time to really hash that out.
-if you see new members leaving-and you are trying to solve that problem- then you have to look at what might discouraging them from sticking around
-if you want free speech- then you have to put up with all the topics and flaming and trolling
-if you want atheism focus then you have to have some controls to keep threads on topic

the real question: is what is the direction the forum should take? And do the desires of the members have any weight when they are in conflict with the desires of the 'cabal'?

03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
(03-07-2013 08:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

This is a forum. Discussion is the main key here. Make no illusion, we don't invite these people here, they come of their own will. We just allow them their say, and we share our opinions and dislikes.

If we banned every christian and every person who doesn't agree with us, we wouldn't be living up to the name "Forum" or even "Thinking Atheist." Freedom of speech, and the freedom to share your perspectives publicly as well as the freedom to criticize and argue is a great method of finding out what is true or not.

Buffering, and censoring people and only allowing those in that agree with you is only helping your desired traits to flourish, it is not helping you learn or change your opinion on anything.

Just my two cents.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
03-07-2013, 09:20 AM
They discussed it.
It's a sealed and done topic. It's been brought up many times in the past, many... "eventful" times in the past...

The forum wont ban people because of what the mods call "popular dislike".

03-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Well whilst I & I's posts don't actually bother me (because I very rarely read them anymore and hardly respond to them) I do understand that a lot of other people do dislike him.

Only because I have the well being of the forum at heart and to keep the status quo would I consider action and my proposal would be this.

I don't want to see anybody being banned, I think we are all adult enough to use the internet and know what that entails... HOWEVER... if a poll is held and the members of the forum do decide that the person is being disruptive, to keep everybody happy I think that the individual should be "quarantined" for a limited time.

The "quarantine" should be a new section of the forum, that only logged in members can view. The individual should then be limited to being able to create new threads and post in that section. Members of this forum DONT have to go into that section and if they do they know fully well what will behold them there. If the individual does wish to leave that section then they can ask to, this would entail a discussion with the moderation team on what would be expected of them and a agreement being reached. If they go back on that agreement then its back to "quarantine".

TBH I dont want to see any of this being done, however like I said earlier in my post some individuals do become a problem and do piss off a large majority of the forum, so to keep the "peace" for everybody I think something should be done. If we "quarantine" people then that is not hindering their free speech as they can still continue to post (within the rules) and if people still wish to feel offended by posts there then I would say "Just dont fucking go into that section then"

Whilst I do think that Hughsie and FSM (and the rest of the moderation team) do a good job, I do think (yet again, only to keep the status quo) that if a number of people do think somebody is a problem, then something should be done about it to keep the peace and to keep everybody happy.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
03-07-2013, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 10:16 AM by Chas.)
(03-07-2013 09:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This forum holds true to the notion of "freedom of speech".

If you can't handle others exercising this freedom without breaking the forum rules, the this place may no longer be for you.

Banning for nebulous reasons such as "disruptive" is a form of bigotry, which the forum strives to not condone. If someone has not broken the rules, a banning will not occur.

That is the authoritarian right of the admins of the forum and is not up to a democratic vote.

Your position pretty much highlights my point. The cabal has no popular mandate, you are enforcing your opinion.
Whose forum is this?

I am urging that we change the rules to provide the means for banning the truly disruptive.

And "bigotry"? Seriously, KC? That's just silly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user