So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
suppose I better go to sleep then.

Please don't add like 20 pages to this thread, I really can't be fucked reading all that. If you do someone be a champ and leave me a summary ktxbye.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2013, 12:01 PM
(06-07-2013 11:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 11:51 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  "Homosexuals cannot live a normal life. A "normal" life means they can reproduce. They can't. I'm speaking strictly in terms of biology."

Yes, I said the above. As I said, the thought of them sucking it up and having sex with the opposite sex solely for reproducing had escaped me.

Thus I took note of that small distinction and corrected my statement. Now my new statement would be:

Homosexuals cannot live a normal life. A "normal" life means they can reproduce via without resorting to medical techniques or finding someone who they aren't physically attracted to to have sex with them so they can procreate because none of this is very normal at all. I'm speaking strictly in terms of biology.

Better?

Oh, it's fine as far as your definitions go!

I just happen to disagree that a precondition for a "normal" life is voluntary reproduction by unassisted means...

I disagree with that too if you are looking at that from the perspective as someone against gays.

Just being super technical about my definition. Normal reproduction is having sex with the opposite sex to reproduce with a physical attraction to one another. That is the norm is it not? That's not to say that if number of gay relationships rise and outnumber "normal" families, it wouldn't become the norm. I also exclude assisted means that type of assistance is relatively new in human history.

But when it comes to the perspective of fighting for equal rights, I don't get that technical. I think gay families are more stable than heterosexual families. They lead more normal lives than all the divorced heterosexuals out there.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
(06-07-2013 11:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  suppose I better go to sleep then.

Please don't add like 20 pages to this thread, I really can't be fucked reading all that. If you do someone be a champ and leave me a summary ktxbye.

No fucking way, you gotta slog through it all yourself. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
(06-07-2013 12:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 11:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, it's fine as far as your definitions go!

I just happen to disagree that a precondition for a "normal" life is voluntary reproduction by unassisted means...

I disagree with that too if you are looking at that from the perspective as someone against gays.

Just being super technical about my definition. Normal reproduction is having sex with the opposite sex to reproduce with a physical attraction to one another. That is the norm is it not? That's not to say that if number of gay relationships rise and outnumber "normal" families, it wouldn't become the norm. I also exclude assisted means that type of assistance is relatively new in human history.

But when it comes to the perspective of fighting for equal rights, I don't get that technical. I think gay families are more stable than heterosexual families. They lead more normal lives than all the divorced heterosexuals out there.

You guys better define "normal" before you keep going on this. Just upon glancing at the convo, it seems you are not talking about the same thing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
(06-07-2013 12:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I disagree with that too if you are looking at that from the perspective as someone against gays.

Eh? Not too sure what you mean there.

(06-07-2013 12:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Just being super technical about my definition.

And arbitrary.

(06-07-2013 12:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Normal reproduction is having sex with the opposite sex to reproduce with a physical attraction to one another. That is the norm is it not?

Yes, I can allow that. It still does not follow that whether one's life or status in general may be considered "normal" is contingent on the "normalcy" of (the majority of?) their sexual encounters or attraction.

(06-07-2013 12:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  That's not to say that if number of gay relationships rise and outnumber "normal" families, it wouldn't become the norm. I also exclude assisted means that type of assistance is relatively new in human history.

Ah! If you're taking normal to mean 'most common', then sure. I can recognize that.

(06-07-2013 12:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  But when it comes to the perspective of fighting for equal rights, I don't get that technical. I think gay families are more stable than heterosexual families. They lead more normal lives than all the divorced heterosexuals out there.

You've already said that you're applying the term without the value judgement implicit in most if it's use. Which is fine - for you (and me, since I know that), and you're well aware that other will not appreciate the sense in which you meant.

I still disagree with the assumptions underlying your definitions, but it's clearly quite an amicable disagreement Big Grin.

... this is my signature!
06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
(06-07-2013 11:56 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  It is plain, read the rules.

"This forum isn't just for atheists. It is for anyone - no matter what race, religion, sex, sexual preference, or anything else. Anyone is welcome to participate and express their opinions."

I suppose that part covers disorders like pedophilia, but that's not "plain" as you said. Also, it says anyone is free to express their opinions. These guys aren't solely expressing an opinion. They are confessing to pedophilia.

This is why I say it isn't clear and this situation is not cut and dry. It's not a very easy solution. I can't even begin to draft up a way to make rules accommodate this. This is why I still think a sub-forum is better off. Put the grey area stuff in there. It's not about "oh, I'm offended so let's toss that topic in the sub forum."

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
(06-07-2013 12:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  You guys better define "normal" before you keep going on this. Just upon glancing at the convo, it seems you are not talking about the same thing.

That's... actually what we're disagreeing on!
Big Grin

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
06-07-2013, 12:18 PM
(06-07-2013 12:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah! If you're taking normal to mean 'most common', then sure. I can recognize that.

That sure would have been the easiest way to explain normalcy eh? Sorry, I get super caught up in trying to be very descriptive sometimes to my detriment. In my head, that's exactly what I meant by "in biological terms." Just the normal of the whole. Definitely open to change.

And what I meant by the perspective of an anti-gay person... I'm not saying they are the weird type not normal. Like, "You're not a normal human being. You are an alien! No rights for you! RAWR JESUS!"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-07-2013, 12:49 PM

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
(06-07-2013 12:49 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 11:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Ato have you lost the ability to have any compassion? That was uncalled for, Hobbit is your friend, that was cold and mean. She was stating how this all makes her feel.

No, I however, was frustrated at how things were proceeding thus far. My frustration was shown in that post and I apologize deeply if it hurt HobbitGirl's feelings. That was not my intention, not was it a desired outcome.

Though, the question stands, when did Kingsy say you weren't a Quality member?

I certainly didn't get that vibe from him at all.

Hmm... That was weird.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.