So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
(03-07-2013 09:21 AM)bemore Wrote:  Well whilst I & I's posts don't actually bother me (because I very rarely read them anymore and hardly respond to them) I do understand that a lot of other people do dislike him.

Only because I have the well being of the forum at heart and to keep the status quo would I consider action and my proposal would be this.

I don't want to see anybody being banned, I think we are all adult enough to use the internet and know what that entails... HOWEVER... if a poll is held and the members of the forum do decide that the person is being disruptive, to keep everybody happy I think that the individual should be "quarantined" for a limited time.

The "quarantine" should be a new section of the forum, that only logged in members can view. The individual should then be limited to being able to create new threads and post in that section. Members of this forum DONT have to go into that section and if they do they know fully well what will behold them there. If the individual does wish to leave that section then they can ask to, this would entail a discussion with the moderation team on what would be expected of them and a agreement being reached. If they go back on that agreement then its back to "quarantine".

TBH I dont want to see any of this being done, however like I said earlier in my post some individuals do become a problem and do piss off a large majority of the forum, so to keep the "peace" for everybody I think something should be done. If we "quarantine" people then that is not hindering their free speech as they can still continue to post (within the rules) and if people still wish to feel offended by posts there then I would say "Just dont fucking go into that section then"

Whilst I do think that Hughsie and FSM (and the rest of the moderation team) do a good job, I do think (yet again, only to keep the status quo) that if a number of people do think somebody is a problem, then something should be done about it to keep the peace and to keep everybody happy.

[my Hughsie voice]People need to just get over it.[/my Hughsie voice]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
(03-07-2013 09:19 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 08:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  as a fairly new member-who doesn't know all the history & drama of members. I have debated whether or not to come back many times.

I find myself in the personal issues forum most often because that is where most of the atheism and connecting to other members is occurring, IMO. And I find myself reading the threads about recent news...the atheist statue, abortion laws, gay rights.

I have said this before....I kick the crazy nut-job religious people off my porch ALL.THE.TIME but it seems like the TTA invites EVERY nut job (of every flavor) in for a drink and to talk awhile. I don't have the time or desire to put up with that.

This is a forum. Discussion is the main key here. Make no illusion, we don't invite these people here, they come of their own will. We just allow them their say, and we share our opinions and dislikes.

If we banned every christian and every person who doesn't agree with us, we wouldn't be living up to the name "Forum" or even "Thinking Atheist." Freedom of speech, and the freedom to share your perspectives publicly as well as the freedom to criticize and argue is a great method of finding out what is true or not.

Buffering, and censoring people and only allowing those in that agree with you is only helping your desired traits to flourish, it is not helping you learn or change your opinion on anything.

Just my two cents.

One more time: it's not about their opinions, it's about their behavior.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
One more time: nothing will come of this.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
(03-07-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 09:19 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  This is a forum. Discussion is the main key here. Make no illusion, we don't invite these people here, they come of their own will. We just allow them their say, and we share our opinions and dislikes.

If we banned every christian and every person who doesn't agree with us, we wouldn't be living up to the name "Forum" or even "Thinking Atheist." Freedom of speech, and the freedom to share your perspectives publicly as well as the freedom to criticize and argue is a great method of finding out what is true or not.

Buffering, and censoring people and only allowing those in that agree with you is only helping your desired traits to flourish, it is not helping you learn or change your opinion on anything.

Just my two cents.

One more time: it's not about their opinions, it's about their behavior.

Bring it up to the mods. If you want to make being a dick a bannable offense, I will respect your right to discuss about it.

However, I was more or less replying to Bows and Arrows. Then I pulled it into a general statement of opinion.

What I see when people are dicks are people rightly fucking them up over it. Dissagreeing as well as condemning them. That to me shows where this forum is at in this department.

If you want to be a dick, fine, just be aware that people can condemn you for it.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-07-2013, 09:40 AM
(03-07-2013 09:37 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  One more time: it's not about their opinions, it's about their behavior.

Bring it up to the mods. If you want to make being a dick a bannable offense, I will respect your right to discuss about it.

However, I was more or less replying to Bows and Arrows. Then I pulled it into a general statement of opinion.

What I see when people are dicks are people rightly fucking them up over it. Dissagreeing as well as condemning them. That to me shows where this forum is at in this department.

If you want to be a dick, fine, just be aware that people can condemn you for it.

It's not about being a dick, either.

It's about being disruptive to the forum - being a dick in thread after thread after thread without any redeeming social value.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Short answer: no.

Long answer: also no. (I figure it could be resolved by temporary bans through an official mod - the banhammer - who had the time to put the effort into it... but it doesn't seem to be good policy. On a good day, I feel we're at a peak as an online community, here censorship is just gonna lead downhill.)

You know what you could try, Chas. Flirt with these theists rather than just hammer 'em. Maybe you'll have some around to fuck with rather than clicking on I&I threads.

...and now, kitty!
[Image: 95aadfe16db4581fd07c0fb8dd3e9919.jpg?v=135040]

It's a rag on I&I thread. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I hate to continue after "/thread". However. You could just set up a strike system or something. Warn people to stop being dicks then hit them with the ban-hammer is they fail to comply.

Yes free speech is good but there are people who are just being dicks and causing unnecessary grievances. These people need to be dealt with as they were in the past.
[+] 8 users Like Hamata k's post
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
(03-07-2013 09:54 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I hate to continue after "/thread". However. You could just set up a strike system or something. Warn people to stop being dicks then hit them with the ban-hammer is they fail to comply.

Yes free speech is good but there are people who are just being dicks and causing unnecessary grievances. These people need to be dealt with as they were in the past.

Then we should perhaps have a "dickhead alert" thread to swoop down on dickheads when there being dickheads. (I don't know, because this is an open tab, the others are Gwynnies, and you know where I'm at. Consider ) I cannot help but see that an underlying cause of unnecessary stress is peeps not knowing when to step away from the keyboard.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
(03-07-2013 09:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Fine, but only because you asked nicely. Big Grin

As Stark use to say when he was Kingpin, TTA is not for everybody.
There are other forums, atheists forums, that have stricter rules and such and are more focused etc...
If that is what you are looking for then perhaps you'd have better luck in a place like that. Nobody is forcing you to stay.
I'm not saying fuck off we don't want you, I'm (and Stark was) saying this is us, that is them, the choice is yours.
Obviously we'd like nice people like you to stay, but shit happens.

TTA has always had near complete freedom of speech. That's what it's always stood for and that is what it always will.

As for what I was saying to Chas, what forum have you been on the last year a half home-boy??
Seriously, you must have known this would never be up for discussion.

As for "keeping on topic" of atheism. We're bored. That's the way I see it, the older (longer on the forum, not age) members have done every religious/atheist thread out there. The whole atheist/theism forum is one big "same ol' shit, different day". And newer members like yourself come here for said threads, the same threads longer time members have done over and over.

There's only so much you can tell people how stupid the bible is before you just give up.

Wow muffs, I've never seen you speak so much sense all at once. Big Grin

Seriously though, he's pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything there.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
(03-07-2013 09:21 AM)bemore Wrote:  Well whilst I & I's posts don't actually bother me (because I very rarely read them anymore and hardly respond to them) I do understand that a lot of other people do dislike him.

Only because I have the well being of the forum at heart and to keep the status quo would I consider action and my proposal would be this.

I don't want to see anybody being banned, I think we are all adult enough to use the internet and know what that entails... HOWEVER... if a poll is held and the members of the forum do decide that the person is being disruptive, to keep everybody happy I think that the individual should be "quarantined" for a limited time.

The "quarantine" should be a new section of the forum, that only logged in members can view. The individual should then be limited to being able to create new threads and post in that section. Members of this forum DONT have to go into that section and if they do they know fully well what will behold them there. If the individual does wish to leave that section then they can ask to, this would entail a discussion with the moderation team on what would be expected of them and a agreement being reached. If they go back on that agreement then its back to "quarantine".

TBH I dont want to see any of this being done, however like I said earlier in my post some individuals do become a problem and do piss off a large majority of the forum, so to keep the "peace" for everybody I think something should be done. If we "quarantine" people then that is not hindering their free speech as they can still continue to post (within the rules) and if people still wish to feel offended by posts there then I would say "Just dont fucking go into that section then"

Whilst I do think that Hughsie and FSM (and the rest of the moderation team) do a good job, I do think (yet again, only to keep the status quo) that if a number of people do think somebody is a problem, then something should be done about it to keep the peace and to keep everybody happy.

I might like the quarantine idea if I didn't know it would completely fail.

The only reason there's even an issue is because people simply cannot manage to not read stuff they don't wanna read.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post