So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2013, 11:59 PM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
(06-07-2013 03:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I feel that I can't even discuss my own feelings with the very people I would have run to in the past.

I hope I am not counted among those people. I think you're just plain awesome. I just don't agree with the ban hammer or rule changes on this topic. I sincerely hope that others are still cool with me, including you, despite a difference of opinion. Heart

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 01:16 AM by ridethespiral.)
I've tried to mostly stay out of this mess being the newb and this being higher business...but I'm starting to feel like I need to toss in my .02 after catching up on this thread.

Last week I thought I and Is Greeks thread was actually rather interesting and was of academic value, despite how it devolved...but I think at some point one has to begin to consider the face of the movement, people are being driven here and the top thread for days running can't be about pedaphilia...especially in such an open and non-constructive context. to Noahsfarces point what happens when the neo-nazis find this anything goes billboard? Etc? Do we really need to grant them a place? The enemies of the Atheist movement can see this stuff. A NSFW subforum makes some sense but its still out there visible to all those who would call us immoral by nature, who are wrong but do we really want to be giving them ammunition?

I think you can have a community built around free speach without allowing it outright. I think the secular way means honoring free speach not being a platform for it. This is a privately owned domain/server, we can stand up for the right that allows the KKK and the Pedobear Fan Club or w/e to exist without becoming them. TV networks don't have to run ads they don't approve of.

Admins should move, remove or close threads it happens all over the web. Ideally it should be rare and it must be handled subjectively, which is why forums have the executive admin branch to make toight calls. Like I said pages ago its actually quite amazing that this forum hasn't turned to crap already. Probably because of verbal vigilantism and organized shunning which can't handle pockets of decent or drivebys.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ridethespiral's post
07-07-2013, 04:27 AM
This thread escalated Confused

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
07-07-2013, 04:50 AM
(06-07-2013 07:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Faith in humanity, and this forum slipping rapid thanks to this thread.. Just sayin'.

Your own fault for not embracing the Gwynnies. Tongue

I know it's difficult, peeps, but there's a whole internet out there to fuck with. Y'all know the policy. Having to deal with assholes is bad enough; having to deal with assholes and butthurt makes the whole experience that much worse.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-07-2013, 05:07 AM
So, whose forum is this, anyway?
(03-07-2013 09:21 AM)bemore Wrote:  Well whilst I & I's posts don't actually bother me (because I very rarely read them anymore and hardly respond to them) I do understand that a lot of other people do dislike him.

Only because I have the well being of the forum at heart and to keep the status quo would I consider action and my proposal would be this.

I don't want to see anybody being banned, I think we are all adult enough to use the internet and know what that entails... HOWEVER... if a poll is held and the members of the forum do decide that the person is being disruptive, to keep everybody happy I think that the individual should be "quarantined" for a limited time.

The "quarantine" should be a new section of the forum, that only logged in members can view. The individual should then be limited to being able to create new threads and post in that section. Members of this forum DONT have to go into that section and if they do they know fully well what will behold them there. If the individual does wish to leave that section then they can ask to, this would entail a discussion with the moderation team on what would be expected of them and a agreement being reached. If they go back on that agreement then its back to "quarantine".

TBH I dont want to see any of this being done, however like I said earlier in my post some individuals do become a problem and do piss off a large majority of the forum, so to keep the "peace" for everybody I think something should be done. If we "quarantine" people then that is not hindering their free speech as they can still continue to post (within the rules) and if people still wish to feel offended by posts there then I would say "Just dont fucking go into that section then"

Whilst I do think that Hughsie and FSM (and the rest of the moderation team) do a good job, I do think (yet again, only to keep the status quo) that if a number of people do think somebody is a problem, then something should be done about it to keep the peace and to keep everybody happy.

The mods should investigate claims before bringing it to a vote. Several people on here started out not liking me due to reading other people's views on me, obviously their vote wouldn't be based on anything substantial. I distinctly remember anjele and I first posts directed towards each other, hers was an insult and I insulted back and then that sealed our fates towards each other.
07-07-2013, 06:48 AM
@ Ride - I agree and I suggested some other solutions back on page 30.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-07-2013, 06:56 AM
(07-07-2013 05:07 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 09:21 AM)bemore Wrote:  Well whilst I & I's posts don't actually bother me (because I very rarely read them anymore and hardly respond to them) I do understand that a lot of other people do dislike him.

Only because I have the well being of the forum at heart and to keep the status quo would I consider action and my proposal would be this.

I don't want to see anybody being banned, I think we are all adult enough to use the internet and know what that entails... HOWEVER... if a poll is held and the members of the forum do decide that the person is being disruptive, to keep everybody happy I think that the individual should be "quarantined" for a limited time.

The "quarantine" should be a new section of the forum, that only logged in members can view. The individual should then be limited to being able to create new threads and post in that section. Members of this forum DONT have to go into that section and if they do they know fully well what will behold them there. If the individual does wish to leave that section then they can ask to, this would entail a discussion with the moderation team on what would be expected of them and a agreement being reached. If they go back on that agreement then its back to "quarantine".

TBH I dont want to see any of this being done, however like I said earlier in my post some individuals do become a problem and do piss off a large majority of the forum, so to keep the "peace" for everybody I think something should be done. If we "quarantine" people then that is not hindering their free speech as they can still continue to post (within the rules) and if people still wish to feel offended by posts there then I would say "Just dont fucking go into that section then"

Whilst I do think that Hughsie and FSM (and the rest of the moderation team) do a good job, I do think (yet again, only to keep the status quo) that if a number of people do think somebody is a problem, then something should be done about it to keep the peace and to keep everybody happy.

The mods should investigate claims before bringing it to a vote. Several people on here started out not liking me due to reading other people's views on me, obviously their vote wouldn't be based on anything substantial. I distinctly remember anjele and I first posts directed towards each other, hers was an insult and I insulted back and then that sealed our fates towards each other.

Don't be acting like you don't know that you're offensive and antagonistic, 'cause I ain't buying it. Dodgy

07-07-2013, 07:04 AM
There is no free speech here! Some are allowed to speak, and some are not.

In this case, every victim of abuse who stumbled into this landmine and blew up was further abused for it. They were told to shut up and go curl up in a corner. And many did, people have left, including the message board administrator who decided he could not run a site that promoted the thing that ruined his and so many other lives.

As atheists, we don't have our traumatic repressed memories buried under layers and layers of religious crap, we simply have it filed in a section of our brains where the things that are too hot to touch are kept. Unresolved files, files that, if viewed in their entirety, will cause mental break downs.

So, for atheists, this topic is twice as explosive. And neither the pedo posters nor the admin here understand a damn thing about it and have not bothered to research it either.

If there is free speech here, then all the victims can speak up as well. And while the great majority will not because it opens up a can of worms that will disrupt life as they know it completely, some of us are at a point where they try to take the bull by the horns.

It s disgusting how victims get dumped on here. Ban me if you must, I will NOT crawl into a corner with my pain, I am going to damn well speak up about it!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Nobody is saying they can't have their say Dom...
What you want is that their say is the only say. These posters were not the ones that did such horrible things, remember that.
As I said to Hobbit Girl, Person A is not the same as Person B.

What if a lady comes on here and is a victim of rape, should all the guys on the forum be banned?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Hey! Everybody gets dumped on in here. This is an equal-opportunity trollfest. And dammit Dom, for a girl without free speech, you sure are racking up the post count. Tongue