So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
(03-07-2013 10:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Eesh.

Sorry guys, I'll start doing better.

You better!! Angry

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Direct answer to OP:

Seth "gave" this forum to Stark, Stark then decided what to do with it when he had to step down. We are Starks decision, we are Starks legacy. We are trying to hold on to the original idea of the forum, as Stark has instructed us, to the best of our knowledge and abilities.

There is no arguing here, this is not a democracy, Stark was a dictator here, now we are the dictators in his name. Our will is our will, not the will of people.

Tongue

If you were here while Stark was in charge, you should know this Chas. He NEVER said this forum was a democracy. So, suck it.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
04-07-2013, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 04:58 AM by DeepThought.)
(04-07-2013 04:43 AM)Filox Wrote:  Seth "gave" this forum to Stark, Stark then decided what to do with it when he had to step down.

There is no arguing here, this is not a democracy, Stark was a dictator here, now we are the dictators in his name. Our will is our will, not the will of people.

umm, The forum still belongs to Seth btw...

He pays for the hosting and owns the domain.

And you definitely said it like a true asshole!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah, legally, it is Seths property/ownership, yes. But everything else was just plain old truth, I don't see the problem. Did I say anything wrong?

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
04-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Wrong? No, it was correct.

Very unpopular, though.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Unpopular? Seriously? Oh no, I must change quickly, I don't want to be unpopular here... Big Grin

C'mon people, think about it. How many member do we have? How many guests? We do try to keep an eye on peoples opinions and recommendations for this forum, but if we really gave everything to the people, if we had to vote, wait for the whole forum, then, first, nothing would ever be made, so many BS will be demanded from us that we could not comply to any of them and things would just go to shit. There is a reason why Seth has personally chosen Stark and why Stark personally decided who will be his successor. Also, that is the reason we do not have one Admin, but two and a few more people in ForumTeam. So this is a democratic dictatorship. We dictate, but after we made a democratic decision between ourselves. Different opinions were considered and we decided what the best thing would be. End of story.

You want in? Earn it. Simple as that. Be regular, be smart, contribute and wait patiently for an invite. We all went through the same process.

There, now I can continue to be unpopular and you can continue to nag all you want... Not you Dom, the rest.

Tongue

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I basically said what Filox said but just a little more gently Wink

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
04-07-2013, 12:01 PM
(03-07-2013 08:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  Essentially, the forum has been run by cabal for at least a year, if not always.
The cabal changes, but the members are not chosen by Seth or his designee, but by members of the cabal.

The cabal makes and enforces the rules. Occasionally, this appears to go against popular will. This is not necessarily bad, it is like a court ruling for minority rights.

I would like to put to wide discussion and popular poll a clear rule be added that allows disruptive members to be booted. My example du jour is I and I.

When a member brings nothing positive to the forum and just flames away, it is harmful to the forum.
I know the free speech faction will react in their predictable way, but free speech is not an absolute right.

Chas,

You got a good point: some members have been a bit too Trollsy, to say the least. I mean, when I&I questioned the viability of Newton's Third Law, I nearly cried, "What a freakin' waste of bandwidth!!!"

Yes, there are people on this forum who are disruptive and who should be banned, and I believe the bigger question is "HOW" you determine they are being disruptive so that they may be justly banned. Well, I believe that foolishly questioning the validity of a well-established scientific fact of physical reality without an iota of submitted evidence is a damned-fine reason for being banned. If we can't agree on the basic facts of reality, then what have we to discuss? In this respect, I&I makes the average Creation Scientist look like a bonafied scholar!

And here's another reason for I&I to be banned - because he referred to the majority of members of this forum as: "The woo woo right wing pretend atheist Uncle Sam cock sucking stupid fucks that make of the majority of this site...". I mean, if I&I feels this way about most of the people here, then why is he even here - is he here just to Flog our assees?

If I&I were just angry yet receptive to listening, I could tolerate him being on this board. But...this guy never listens, even when it is pointed out that he is quite wrong in his facts. Instead, he turns and attacks the source. How can anyone deal with that?

Just my 2 cents.
[+] 3 users Like Julius's post
04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
(04-07-2013 12:01 PM)Julius Wrote:  How can anyone deal with that?

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but the fact remains that no one is forcing you to deal with anything.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
(04-07-2013 12:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 12:01 PM)Julius Wrote:  How can anyone deal with that?

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but the fact remains that no one is forcing you to deal with anything.

You are right, and it is not my Job to deal with it either: I figure that Job belongs to the Mods and Admins who run this board, and it is to them I was referring.

Thanks.