So, whose forum is this, anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: So, whose forum is this, anyway?
My visceral response, without reading 8 pages of this thread from my Android:

1) Freedoms aren't free--they come with responsibility, parameters. There is such a thing as abusing one's freedoms.

2) Seth invites free discourse & debate on his FB page, but clearly ousts those who repeatedly 'dump' on the page without truly engaging. I&I wouldn't last a day there.

~Valerie

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Percepticon's post
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I have no problem with free speech at all...but it always comes with responsibility and common sense limits. We cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

To me this is little different than a pedophile making excuses for their fantasies with or without actually acting on them.

It's one thing for someone to defend the catholic church for buggering kids (which isn't very defendable but whatever), and quite another thing to say..."I want to bugger children but because I refrain from doing its ok." and then to go on despite being told umpteen times to stop, restating it and making excuses for it.

Free speech is fine...but I would like the mods to actually step in before things are allowed to get so out of hand we begin scaring off new members and force good regular people to reevaluate their reasons for staying on.

If I had just joined and saw that thread on pedophilia I would NEVER have stayed. I would have thought you all condone that since the thread was kept around, regardless how many posted opposition.

The crap i&i pulls hasn't anything on that shit.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Many people find their way here because of Seth, because they connect to his podcast, videos, or FB posts. I would imagine that those same people come to the forums from his webpage expecting a continuation of his ideas and conversation. Now I know he doesn't play a part in the running of the forum, but really, its his business name plastered at the top of the page. And by allowing any bottom feeding troll to continually post over and over again you tarnish his business name by association.

If this place is just going to be Trolls R Us, then at least change the name because right now, it seems to be completely disappointing than what I would expect after listening to Seth's shows.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 10 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
04-07-2013, 08:51 PM
(04-07-2013 08:04 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Many people find their way here because of Seth, because they connect to his podcast, videos, or FB posts. I would imagine that those same people come to the forums from his webpage expecting a continuation of his ideas and conversation. Now I know he doesn't play a part in the running of the forum, but really, its his business name plastered at the top of the page. And by allowing any bottom feeding troll to continually post over and over again you tarnish his business name by association.

If this place is just going to be Trolls R Us, then at least change the name because right now, it seems to be completely disappointing than what I would expect after listening to Seth's shows.

Best argument I've herd on the matter.
She has a valid point IMO.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-07-2013, 09:06 PM
We don't get many trolls. We get a small number of legitimate people who are labelled trolls and ostracised (Egor etc.) but even they are small in number. There's only been a handful in my 2+ years here.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
04-07-2013, 09:08 PM
(04-07-2013 09:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  We don't get many trolls. We get a small number of legitimate people who are labelled trolls and ostracised (Egor etc.) but even they are small in number. There's only been a handful in my 2+ years here.

And I think this is where the disagreement is. Apparently others have a different definition of a troll is.

04-07-2013, 09:10 PM
(04-07-2013 09:08 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  And I think this is where the disagreement is. Apparently others have a different definition of a troll is.

Trolls are people who are simply to provoke and cause trouble. There are some here who will call anyone who's unpopular a troll. That's not so much a matter of opinion as incorrect use of the term.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
(04-07-2013 09:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 09:08 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  And I think this is where the disagreement is. Apparently others have a different definition of a troll is.

Trolls are people who are simply to provoke and cause trouble. There are some here who will call anyone who's unpopular a troll. That's not so much a matter of opinion as incorrect use of the term.

Does it really matter what they are called? buzz killers? trolls? Either way - are allowing them to stay and disrupt over and over (and it may not be the same buzz killer), is having them here, continually, reflecting the image of what Seth would want attached to his business name?

If it were *my* business, I wouldn't. I would want some basic filtering going on-he doesn't let them rant on & on in interviews.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-07-2013, 09:21 PM
(04-07-2013 09:16 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Does it really matter what they are called? buzz killers? trolls? Either way - are allowing them to stay and disrupt over and over (and it may not be the same buzz killer), is having them here, continually, reflecting the image of what Seth would want attached to his business name?

If it were *my* business, I wouldn't. I would want some basic filtering going on-he doesn't let them rant on & on in interviews.

People who are unpopular only have the power we give them. It's our fault if they have a negative effect on the forum. Wanna know what I think sucks about this place? If someone posts a really interesting positive thread they may get a couple of pages of replies, if someone posts a stupid negative thread they get at least ten. That's our fault. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The real problem is that people are more interested in posting to bash threads they have an issue with than posting to support threads they like.

Also gonna point out I talked to (well emailed with) Seth and touched upon this topic literally last night.

Best
Worst
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I think her argument can be used to to include people other than trolls, like maybe the sickos in the pedo thread. That is more serious IMO.

Great way to miss the point Hughsie. It's like you're putting in an effort. I've pretty much said what Bows and Arrows has said in another private thread for management issues.

It doesn't matter anymore though. I've given up. I hardly want to look at this place anymore. It makes my eyes hurt.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss