So why aren't sex-equality lobbyists attacking this obvious oversight.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 07:17 AM
So why aren't sex-equality lobbyists attacking this obvious oversight.
Elementary and preschool male teachers

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of one. My first male teacher was in 7th grade, and it was a culture shock to me because of the vast difference from what I was used to.

I honestly think young children could benefit from male teachers. If anything, they can be a positive male role model for those that don't have fathers.

Why isn't this subject ever talked about? Why aren't there sex-equality groups out there trying to raise the percentages of elementary male teachers?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
04-06-2014, 07:19 AM
RE: So why aren't sex-equality lobbyists attacking this obvious oversight.
(04-06-2014 07:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Why aren't there sex-equality groups out there trying to raise the percentages of elementary male teachers?

Sexism.
04-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Sexism? Maybe.
It could just be the numbers.
Maybe there are simply fewer men who want to teach that age group.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-06-2014, 07:23 AM
(04-06-2014 07:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Elementary and preschool male teachers

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of one. My first male teacher was in 7th grade, and it was a culture shock to me because of the vast difference from what I was used to.

I honestly think young children could benefit from male teachers. If anything, they can be a positive male role model for those that don't have fathers.

Why isn't this subject ever talked about? Why aren't there sex-equality groups out there trying to raise the percentages of elementary male teachers?

Why aren't you trying to do something about it?
04-06-2014, 07:26 AM
(04-06-2014 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Elementary and preschool male teachers

Why aren't you trying to do something about it?

Because I don't care enough.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
04-06-2014, 07:27 AM
(04-06-2014 07:23 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Maybe there are simply fewer men who want to teach that age group.

This might actually be the most legit answer.

04-06-2014, 07:33 AM
(04-06-2014 07:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:23 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Maybe there are simply fewer men who want to teach that age group.

My daughters have a 2nd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade male teachers at their school.

2 of them are awesome teachers, I wish the 3rd would get hit with a bus, but that's probably for a different thread.

Way back in the 70's when I was in elementary school I had male teachers in 6th grade.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Re: So why aren't sex-equality lobbyists attacking this obvious oversight.
I hear this constantly talked about... Sure it's a chalk up to different environments down in the dirty.

What could lobbiests or potential equality activists do? It's a matter of males wanting to be young age teachers. That rate is young and it's desperately needed, they believe that male teachers in urban poor areas with various fatherless kids would go a long way for forming positive roles in kids.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-06-2014, 07:35 AM
(04-06-2014 07:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Completely 100% anecdotal sample size of 1 but for me it was almost even over my entire k-12 with there being many many more women in the beginning (my only male teacher was the gym coach in elementary) to high school were 3/4 of the teachers were male. It also seemed like the male teachers were more interested in a subject whereas the female ones were more interested in teaching itself, this is obviously a gross oversimplification just meant as a trend rather than a 100% either way thing. The best teacher I ever had was a History/Psych teacher who taught from a secular humanist POV and knew his stuff inside and out. I have also had many conversations with people who thought about going into teaching (most did not due to monetary reasons) and there may be a tendency for women to like the childcare aspect of it more so than their male counterparts.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
04-06-2014, 07:40 AM
(04-06-2014 07:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Why aren't you trying to do something about it?

Because I don't care enough.

Well people generally only try to sort out the problems that they care enough about. No one can save the world, you have to choose your battles. So this answers your question.

Some people are concerned about the lack of male teachers. It is a problem. It's also a symptom of a deeper problem in society, at least in Britain where men are fearful of going anywhere near children in case other people think that they are paedophiles. That can happen even when the child is in trouble and then there are cases where granddads have had to explain themselves to the police when taking their young granddaughter out for a day. So in all probability the mainstream media are probably to blame for the scare mongering they use to increase their sales.

It's also a relatively new problem that is getting worse.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post