So why aren't sex-equality lobbyists attacking this obvious oversight.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 07:44 AM
RE: So why aren't sex-equality lobbyists attacking this obvious oversight.
When I was in elementary school, there was a male 5th or 6th grade teacher in our school. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 07:48 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
Traditionally childcare in a family does fall onto the woman, and women who wanted to find employment outside the home still had to juggle childcare, so that meant finding a job that is flexible with a school schedule, and a teachers job fits perfectly because of the schedule.

In the past, we lived in multi generational homes, or were closer to family members to shift the burden of childcare to grandparents, cousins, etc. Day care centers weren't as common 50 years ago. So if a woman was a nurse or other job that was year round, or shift work, she had another person ( most likely a woman) helping her with childcare.

In the future with families being spread to multiple cities, abundance of childcare centers, it is no longer a school season type of job, it's year round. ( daycare)

Eh, just my two cents.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-06-2014, 07:48 AM
(04-06-2014 07:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Well people generally only try to sort out the problems that they care enough about. No one can save the world, you have to choose your battles. So this answers your question.

Some people are concerned about the lack of male teachers. It is a problem. It's also a symptom of a deeper problem in society, at least in Britain where men are fearful of going anywhere near children in case they people think that they are paedophiles. That can happen even when the child is in trouble and granddad's have had to explain themselves to the police when taking their young granddaughter out for a day. So in all probability the mainstream media are probably to blame for scare mongering to increase their sales.

It's also a relatively new problem that is getting worse.

Good point.

There are a couple of hyper-sensitive issues... one of them is appearing as if you're a pedo and the other is appearing as if you're a racist.

Before I had kids, I distanced myself from them and never talked or touched them. I don't know why. It was something subconscious, I think.

Now that I have kids, I have no problems with talking to them, holding them, getting down on their level, etc.

There have been quite a few times when I've helped a completely random kid off a slide or helped them find their parents.

Back on point, I think Western Culture has created a thought process in the subconsciousness of males when it comes to children.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
04-06-2014, 07:49 AM
I think it will change, just like male nurses are now common.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-06-2014, 07:50 AM
(04-06-2014 07:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  When I was in elementary school, there was a male 5th or 6th grade teacher in our school. Drinking Beverage

Yabut, they were injured in the Civil War and couldn't return to the front lines.

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
04-06-2014, 07:51 AM
(04-06-2014 07:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  When I was in elementary school, there was a male 5th or 6th grade teacher in our school. Drinking Beverage

Yabut, they were injured in the Civil War and couldn't return to the front lines.

The amazing part is it took 6 grades to teach how to hunt megafauna and make fire. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Maybe all the male teachers of young children are at the Catholic schools.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
04-06-2014, 07:56 AM
(04-06-2014 07:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Maybe all the male teachers of young children are at the Catholic schools.

Dodgy

[Image: tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif]

04-06-2014, 08:31 AM
In all the years I worked in childcare I worked with lots of women...and 2 men.

Parents were always a bit....different....with the male caregivers. That always irritated me. They were good guys. Not every man on the planet is out to diddle your kids people.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
(04-06-2014 07:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 07:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Maybe all the male teachers of young children are at the Catholic schools.

Dodgy

[Image: tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif]

So I get applause but I don't get a 'like'? You're more stingy than Hughsie! Sadcryface2