So, why is no one talking about Global Warming with two "100 year" hurricanes ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: So, why is no one talking about Global Warming with two "100 year" hurricanes ?
(02-11-2012 12:27 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Child limit laws.
1 child per couple. It would take at most a century for the population to shrink from 7 billion to roughly 2 billion.

All the above problems you described are solved, and many more.
I'll bet that will be regulated in the near future.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
RE: So, why is no one talking about Global Warming with two "100 year" hurricanes ?
How many decades is it going to take for sea levels to rise enough that you have to worry about your beach home floating away?
I would think that is still away off myself, but I haven't actually looked into it either, because I don't have a beach home.
02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
(02-11-2012 11:37 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  How many decades is it going to take for sea levels to rise enough that you have to worry about your beach home floating away?
I would think that is still away off myself, but I haven't actually looked into it either, because I don't have a beach home.
It is a difficult problem to address because sea level won't rise globally at the same time. Some areas will experience an increase in Sea Level (most of the East Coast of the US) while areas near Greenland and Antarctica will see a sea level drop.

The other issue is trying to model how quickly the melting will occur. It could happen in a matter of years, decades, or perhaps a little longer depending on the model. In some of the models, the only difference is how the ice is modeled on the land surface and how quickly the land is expected to isostatically rebound.

Evolve
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
(02-11-2012 12:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is a difficult problem to address because sea level won't rise globally at the same time. Some areas will experience an increase in Sea Level (most of the East Coast of the US) while areas near Greenland and Antarctica will see a sea level drop.
Hmmm, how do you figure that? Differential sea level changes? I don't think so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Because water volume isn't the only thing changing.

The ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica have enough mass to attract water to them, meaning sea level is exaggerated by being higher than it should when there are ice sheets there. So, the ice melts, the mass is redistributed, and sea level drops.

On top of that, the mass weighs down Greenland and Antarctica, so the continents will isostatically rebound as the ice is shed off, causing uplift and further sea level drop.

That mass has to go somewhere too, so as it enters the ocean basins it will weigh them down. This causes the basins to deepen and dampens the effect of sea level change, resulting in lower than average rises in some areas but continued sea level drop near the ice sheets.

So yea, differential sea level change.

Evolve
02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
http://www.geophysics.harvard.edu/mitrovica.html

Dr. Mitrovica gave a talk at SU a few months back about all of this in case you are interested.

Evolve
02-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I am amazed that anyone thinks Hurricane Sandy is some kind of "Superstorm". I mean, it was just a Cat 1 Hurricane and everyone panics. Further up the coast, New England has been hit by much worse over the last 60 years by the likes of Hurricane Carol (1954 - Cat 3) and Hurricane Bob (1992 -Cat 2). So I find the references to Sandy being a "100-year" storm kind of meaningless.

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New..._century_2
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
(02-11-2012 01:40 PM)Julius Wrote:  I am amazed that anyone thinks Hurricane Sandy is some kind of "Superstorm". I mean, it was just a Cat 1 Hurricane and everyone panics. Further up the coast, New England has been hit by much worse over the last 60 years by the likes of Hurricane Carol (1954 - Cat 3) and Hurricane Bob (1992 -Cat 2). So I find the references to Sandy being a "100-year" storm kind of meaningless.

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New..._century_2
I live in Florida. We wouldn't have cancelled work for this storm.

Difference is, Florida cities are built for quick drainage and basically expect hurricane conditions. The Northeast is built to keep cold out. Basements and hurricanes are not friends. Seriously. And do the New York City boroughs even have a sea wall? It's been a while since I've been back.
[+] 1 user Likes Seek_Kolinahr's post
02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
(02-11-2012 01:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because water volume isn't the only thing changing.

The ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica have enough mass to attract water to them, meaning sea level is exaggerated by being higher than it should when there are ice sheets there. So, the ice melts, the mass is redistributed, and sea level drops.

On top of that, the mass weighs down Greenland and Antarctica, so the continents will isostatically rebound as the ice is shed off, causing uplift and further sea level drop.

That mass has to go somewhere too, so as it enters the ocean basins it will weigh them down. This causes the basins to deepen and dampens the effect of sea level change, resulting in lower than average rises in some areas but continued sea level drop near the ice sheets.

So yea, differential sea level change.
Clear explanation, thanks.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
(02-11-2012 12:27 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Child limit laws.
1 child per couple. It would take at most a century for the population to shrink from 7 billion to roughly 2 billion.

All the above problems you described are solved, and many more.

Except the problems of who is going to push your wheelchair, do your hip surgery, and wipe your ass...