So why was Stalin a bad guy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 05:20 PM
So why was Stalin a bad guy?
I have argued this over and over so most of what you guys are going to say, I have heard it before, refuted before and most of what you say is going to be so predictable.

So I will just throw this out there to get rid of the most predictable responses.

Here is a quote from an article in the New Yorker

"Over all, there are now more people under “correctional supervision” in America—more than six million—than were in the Gulag Archipelago under Stalin at its height."

Full article here http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/at...ntPage=all

So....what is the beef with Stalin?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Re: So why was Stalin a bad guy?
The argument out forth here us saying.. Why say Stalin is bad if America is bad too... That's irrelevant to how you can judge Stalin.

I never heard Gulag directly as a strong case against Stalin before.

Maybe people think he is bad because if the high millions of people murdered in his populous. The way he pushed off opposing political views and had them or religious leaders killed off. Making his form of policy to cut out dissenting opinion in anyway needed.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
21-10-2012, 05:39 PM
RE: So why was Stalin a bad guy?
(21-10-2012 05:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The argument out forth here us saying.. Why say Stalin is bad if America is bad too... That's irrelevant to how you can judge Stalin.

Maybe people think he is bad because if the high millions of people murdered in his populous. The way he pushed off opposing political views and had them or religious leaders killed off. Making his form of policy to cut out dissenting opinion in anyway needed.

No, I am saying if U.S. incarceration rates, torture, wars, invasions etc etc doesn't make you blink while watching justin Bieber, then why is it when it comes to Stalin peoples panties get twisted and they repeat what their first grade teacher told them, which is american propaganda bullshit.

Stalin killed millions? who said this, and when did you first hear this info?
21-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Re: RE: So why was Stalin a bad guy?
(21-10-2012 05:39 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The argument out forth here us saying.. Why say Stalin is bad if America is bad too... That's irrelevant to how you can judge Stalin.

No, I am saying if U.S. incarceration rates, torture, wars, invasions etc etc doesn't make you blink while watching justin Bieber, then why is it when it comes to Stalin peoples panties get twisted and they repeat what their first grade teacher told them, which is american propaganda bullshit.

Probably the same reason you make biased judgments in about every post. Humans all have a bias and viewpoint that's far from perfect.

People don't give a shit about what ha going on around them. This changes that Stalin took control and pushed out his contemporary objectors to push his agenda how?

21-10-2012, 05:47 PM
(21-10-2012 05:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:39 PM)I and I Wrote:  No, I am saying if U.S. incarceration rates, torture, wars, invasions etc etc doesn't make you blink while watching justin Bieber, then why is it when it comes to Stalin peoples panties get twisted and they repeat what their first grade teacher told them, which is american propaganda bullshit.

Probably the same reason you make biased judgments in about every post. Humans all have a bias and viewpoint that's far from perfect.

People don't give a shit about what ha going on around them. This changes that Stalin took control and pushed out his contemporary objectors to push his agenda how?

Where and when did you hear that Stalin killed millions?

The reason I am asking is that most people that say that don't even know where or when they first heard that, which means it is just propaganda that we are all told and collectively believe without question.
21-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Re: RE: So why was Stalin a bad guy?
(21-10-2012 05:47 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Probably the same reason you make biased judgments in about every post. Humans all have a bias and viewpoint that's far from perfect.

Where and when did you hear that Stalin killed millions?

The reason I am asking is that most people that say that don't even know where or when they first heard that, which means it is just propaganda that we are all told and collectively believe without question.

Probably never in grade school since I grew up post cold war and they didn't bombard us with anti Russia talk like the generation before me. So I knew little apart from the rise if the cold war. Never any details or history about Russia.

Most I learned info when helping my ex gf with courses when she was a Russian major then minor student at university. There was a lot on topics of a course about revolutions and just Russian history. I read some book on Trotsky which had some letters he wrote in exhile and other info pushed up to say these things.

Probably the most likely propaganda pieces were a Lenin biography I read and some charts that float often showing presumed death tolls of Saddam to Gaddafi, Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.

21-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Well the defense of Stalingrad would be a place to start.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
21-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Define "bad".

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-10-2012, 06:12 PM
(21-10-2012 06:00 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Well the defense of Stalingrad would be a place to start.

He was a bad guy because the Soviet Union defended Stalingrad and many other major Russian Cities.
21-10-2012, 06:18 PM
(21-10-2012 05:57 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:47 PM)I and I Wrote:  Where and when did you hear that Stalin killed millions?

Probably never in grade school since I grew up post cold war and they didn't bombard us with anti Russia talk like the generation before me. So I knew little apart from the rise if the cold war. Never any details or history about Russia.

Most I learned info when helping my ex gf with courses when she was a Russian major then minor student at university. There was a lot on topics of a course about revolutions and just Russian history. I read some book on Trotsky which had some letters he wrote in exhile and other info pushed up to say these things.

Probably the most likely propaganda pieces were a Lenin biography I read and some charts that float often showing presumed death tolls of Saddam to Gaddafi, Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.

Gaddafi-He was nothing compared mass murderers or any other western leader that hated him. Saddam did kill millions of Iranians when the U.S. was backing him and arming his military, the west also helped Saddam to develop chemical weapons to be used against Iran during their war. So yes, Saddam was a bad guy, he was a bad guy when the west was funding him...next

Hitler was just a capitalist stooge that was loved by every capitalist business man in america, france and england, then after the war the U.S. used his nazi scientists to develop weapons among many other things. next

Mao like Stalin has no numbers to verify that they killed massive amounts of people. One of the predicable responses is "the famines" A famine under a capitalist nation is never considered a fault of capitalism in mainstream news so to be fair, one can't automatically assume that a famine under Mao or Stalin was because of the economic system either.