So why was Stalin a bad guy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 02:07 PM
RE: So why was Stalin a bad guy?
(21-10-2012 05:20 PM)I and I Wrote:  I have argued this over and over so most of what you guys are going to say, I have heard it before, refuted before and most of what you say is going to be so predictable.

So I will just throw this out there to get rid of the most predictable responses.

Here is a quote from an article in the New Yorker

"Over all, there are now more people under “correctional supervision” in America—more than six million—than were in the Gulag Archipelago under Stalin at its height."

Full article here http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/at...ntPage=all

So....what is the beef with Stalin?

The premise of your question makes no sense.Drinking Beverage

You do realize that people were sent to gulags for such crimes as being successful farmers, being in the civil service under the Tsar, falling afoul of the Soviet party line, being related to somebody in the instances above would also do it. The gulag system became a way for the Soviets to also acquire slave labor.

When somebody commits a crime in the U.S, their case is adjudicated by a jury (or judge if they desire) and if found guilty sentenced accordingly. I know of nobody incarcerated for speaking out against the government in the U.S. and I am not drum beating for the U.S. While I think drugs should be legal and I find it ridiculous that many people are in jail for violating these laws, the fact remains they have violated established State and Federal law.

Stalin was a mass murdering dictator. The numbers run into the 10's of millions. Lenin didn't have the time to achieve the same tally but they were cut from the same cloth.

There are plenty of scholarly works on the Russian Revolution and the aftermath of all that entailed. I suggest the following to start:

The Russian Revolution (unabridged) - Richard Pipes
Stalin - Robert Service
Gulag Archipelago - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Keep in mind, a great many papers and Soviet records came to light during Glasnost in the 80s, well after the Russian scare. Why bother indoctrinating people against an enemy that is dead and gone? Idiot.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
22-10-2012, 02:35 PM
(21-10-2012 05:20 PM)I and I Wrote:  So....what is the beef with Stalin?

He wasn't our guy.
/story

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-10-2012, 02:36 PM
(22-10-2012 02:35 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:20 PM)I and I Wrote:  So....what is the beef with Stalin?

He wasn't our guy.
/story

He certainly was no GwynniesDrinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
22-10-2012, 02:39 PM
(21-10-2012 06:00 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Well the defense of Stalingrad would be a place to start.

A bad place, as Stalingrad arguably won the war for the Allies. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Re: RE: So why was Stalin a bad guy?
(21-10-2012 08:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:11 PM)I and I Wrote:  he killed millions on purpose or he killed millions on accident is bullshit.

There is no evidence that he was responsible for mass deaths.

There is plenty of evidence.

/thread.

I find this thread asinine - calling Stalin a misunderstood man, not an evil man, is mind-numbingly ridiculous. Try walking up to a Russian that lived through the Soviet era and telling them that.

The evidence is completely and utterly overwhelming that Stalin was responsible for many deaths and chose to stop potential threats to his power by having people executed. This is just about as mindless as adults that believe in six day creationism and Noah's Ark.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 2 users Like Azaraith's post
22-10-2012, 03:15 PM
(22-10-2012 02:52 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is plenty of evidence.

/thread.

Conviently featuring avictimology calculation. Which is to say, he wasn't our guy. Tongue

I'm a strong atheist with the relative shit. Stalin served his purpose. As for famous peeps in a negative light, you ever hear what they say about my Gwynnies? I'm personally convinced that Gwyneth is a much nicer person than ol' Joltin' Joe, but I don't know.

22-10-2012, 04:14 PM
So why was Stalin a bad guy?
(22-10-2012 03:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 02:52 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  /thread.

Conviently featuring avictimology calculation. Which is to say, he wasn't our guy. Tongue

I'm a strong atheist with the relative shit. Stalin served his purpose. As for famous peeps in a negative light, you ever hear what they say about my Gwynnies? I'm personally convinced that Gwyneth is a much nicer person than ol' Joltin' Joe, but I don't know.

Picture her with a Stalin mustache and see if you have the same opinion afterwards. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-10-2012, 07:21 PM
When Stalin was in office, he once noted that there were mice in his study and complained to President Kalinin about this. The President thought for a moment and suggested, “Why don’t you put up a sign reading ‘Collective Farm’? Half the mice will die of hunger and the other half will run away.”

Stalin is visiting a school in a remote part of Russia and he asks one child: Who is your father?’ ‘My father is Stalin.’ ‘And who is your mother?’ ‘My mother is Russia.’ ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ – ‘An orphan’.

Stalin holds a big meeting in a factory.
Stalin: ‘The thing we hold most precious in the Soviet Union is a human life.’
Someone coughs
‘Who coughed?’, bellows Stalin.
Silence.
‘Okay, call in the NKVD.’
The NKVD rush in with semi-automatic weapons blazing. Soon only seven men are left standing.
Stalin: ‘Who coughed?’
One man raises his hand.
Stalin: ‘That’s a terrible cold. Take my car and go to hospital.’
22-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I think it;s safe to say that I and I just got owned.

[Image: 128973452067049929.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m9ryvpuwnj1rvznfk.gif]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.