So yeah awesomeness going on with WLC.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2011, 09:50 AM
So yeah awesomeness going on with WLC.
So yeah,

Great news. Dr. William Lane Craig will be here in Saskatoon for a debate on Wednesday and wants to sit down with some nonbelievers before the debate in the evening.

This is going to be fun. Smile

Anyone have any questions they want to directly throw this guy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 10:12 AM
RE: So yeah awesomeness going on with WLC.
Ask him the best recipe for a mean batch of Rice Krispies.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
24-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Ask him why he constantly falls back to the same arguments over and over again that have been thoroughly refuted. Also why he even bothers to debate people when even he admits that it is not evidence that convinces him of Christianity's "truth" but faith and the "personal experience of the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ." Ask him why he rarely addresses an opponent's points in a debate, just mostly sticks to his pre-written notes and script.

I don't much care for WLC, in case you couldn't tell. Though I would probably sit through a debate if I liked the opponent and could bring a theist or two along.

Who's he debating?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
24-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I believe he once said that if he went back in time and saw a corpse rotting in Jesus's crypt he would still believe in the resurrection.
You really think you're gonna get anywhere with that guy ? Except to a bottle (out of frustration )
24-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Who is WLC?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-01-2011, 01:23 PM

(24-01-2011 01:14 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Who is WLC?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I'm pretty sure it is Dr. William Lane Craig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lane_Craig
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 07:42 PM
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126206124112199
25-01-2011, 12:43 AM

The trick with debating WLC is going to be doing unto him as he does unto you. Ignore Gish Gallops and simply stick to the actual atheist thesis, that there is no compelling scientific evidence for any kind of god. Just beware that he is a historical Jesus guy and he will play lots of "I proved this historical fact so everything else is true" kind of arguments.
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 04:32 AM
I would nail him on his favorite argument, Kalam.

Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
The universe began to exist.
Therefore the universe has a cause.
blah blah blah it's Jesus.

His definition of causation is based on nature within in the universe. There is no reason to assume it applies "outside" (if that term can even be used). To put it another way, you can't take attributes of items within a set and deductively apply them to the set as a whole. It's the composition fallacy. "Every part of an airplane has the property of being unable to fly. Therefore the airplane has the property of being unable to fly." It simply doesn't follow. And in the case of Kalam, he also have the equivocation fallacy in premise #1 on the phrase "begins to exist"...because according to theism, the only thing that truly begins to exist (from nothing) is the universe itself. It is in a category by itself. So not only does Kalam have the fallacy of composition but it also equivocates by drawing an analogy between a cause for everything we see around us (things that are the result of rearranging preexisting matter) to the single instance where a "cause" (according to them), made matter mysteriously appear from nothing. The argument fails on all fronts.
25-01-2011, 08:32 AM
(24-01-2011 07:42 PM)Godless Wrote:  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126206124112199

I can't access facebook from this computer... who is he debating?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.