So, you are an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2012, 04:55 PM
RE: So, you are an atheist.
(28-10-2012 04:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Love could be described how you mention it, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, what is magic?

I never quite understood why people think it's an awful thing if love (or whatever emotion) has a chemical basis, because apparently, they think it is magic and have no idea how silly that sounds. (On the other hand, Friendship is Magic). Why does something having a basis in the real world make it seem "meaningless" to people? (I suppose this has to do with concepts of the sacred and the profane, but it's all bullshit to me.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
28-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I would be hard pressed to name something that happens within my body that isn't a chemical reaction or the result of some chemical reaction.

Lots of physics going on there too but as far as we know there is no soul, no evidence of any gods and as long as we have ill informed theists we will have strawmen.

To the OP, we also don't have unicorns flying out our butts when we fart. Add that to the things that atheists don't believe in.

Add a million other made up delusions that people around the world have trapsiing around in their heads.

You believe the bullshit you were raised with.
We trust in the evidence that scientists around the world attempt to pick apart, peer review and ascertain the validity of claims about the observations in the real world.

Go pray to your god for a better education.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
28-10-2012, 05:38 PM
RE: So you are an atheist.
(28-10-2012 10:57 AM)Near Wrote:  So...what are you trying to say? I read that whole post, and it was pretty much an enormous train wreck. Perhaps trying to be witty or sarcastic isn't the best style for you? You could just try writing what you mean in plain English. Also, not really sure why you are trying to drive traffic to your blog, I for one cannot even imagine trying to read another post like this one.

Sorry, dude, I gotta disagree.

I thought it was a well-written (if slightly over-long) rant and I, for one, appreciate the effort.

I'd like to see more like this. Much better than those that throw bible verses like hand grenades.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Steven Pinker wrote in 'How the Mind Works':

"The supposedly immaterial soul, we now know, can be bisected with a knife, altered by chemicals, started or stopped by electricity, and extinguished by a sharp blow or by insufficient oxygen."

To believe anything more than that is to believe in mysticism. I reject all that is mystical and replace it with evidence based reason.
[+] 3 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
28-10-2012, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2012 05:47 PM by Atothetheist.)
(28-10-2012 10:42 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  So, you’re an Atheist. You believe in Science instead of a God. Right. Obviously you are a very smart guy. It’s Science. No God. No soul. I get it. It’s all explained by Science. By Science, we – humans – are really complex chemical reactions. Chemistry is really atomic and molecular physics. Biology, DNA, and all that are really just chemistry. Right? Knuckle tap. Yea! No God. No soul. No heaven. No hell. Just chemistry. Got it.

Ultimately, according to you and Science, human life is an oxidation reaction: a slow burning fire. Oxygen in. Carbon dioxide out. Until it is extinguished, by a fast-moving beer truck or a heart attack or an angry ex-lover, or an angry ex lover driving a beer truck causing you to have a heart attack. Right? I thought so. Bro hug. That’s the way it was explained to me by my first college physics teaching assistant Mr. Fitzroy. No God. No soul. Just Science.

Accurately put, a human is soulless chemical reaction. Right? I have heard this echoed many times in the chat rooms, dorm rooms, forums, and sites where fervent soulless chemical chain reactions gather to share their empty glass and ridicule religions. When pressed, they will agree that life on earth is simply soulless chemicals reacting with other soulless chemicals. Right? Thus, therefore, and in conclusion you are, from your big toe to the highest hair in your purple Mohawk, you are a soulless chemical reaction reading this on some electronic device right now. And most of you are proud of who you are? Right! Damn right? High five!

But some of you may be saying, “Man, I am not buying into all that.” Then you want to ramble on about messed up stuff in the Bible, Hitchins, or whatever.

“Come on! You are an ATHEIST! It’s simple: No God! No soul!” If you believe in one of those, you are not an atheist. Clear. I certainly hope so.

And given that you are a soulless chemical reaction, for the sake of personal integrity, you should admit to it. Some would point out that soulless chemical chain reactions have no reason to have integrity but Dawkins says that many soulless chemical chain reactions have integrity. Here is why: “Darwin and um, natural selection, random stuff. and then millions of years is like a long time, a hundred monkeys on a hundred typewriters, it evolved. OK!”

“Yeah, Riigght.”

And you should also admit that you have no spirituality. Again many of you are saying, “No Problemo, dude!” in Jeff Spicoli’s voice.

But some are saying “Hold on, I am a spiritual person. I am! I am! I love puppies and kittens, and long walks on the beach.”

“No you’re not! I’m calling bull crap on that! “Spiritual” is a non-science thing. You believe in S-C-I-E-N-C-E! You are a soulless f’ing chemical chain reaction. Accept it. Do we need a 12 step program here? Sheesh, even Bigbird gets this.”

And when you are having special pre-sexy time pillow talk with your current soulless chemical reaction hook-up, you can not look in its eyes and talk about a spiritual connection. Face it, you are a soulless chemical reaction about to possibly have a hot, steamy chemical reaction with another soulless chemical reaction that could maybe start a dependent soulless chemical reaction in the reaction chamber of the xx chromosomed soulless chemical reaction. Hopefully you are ready for said dependent soulless chemical reaction to start. If it is inconvenient, you can easily extinguish this chemical reaction with a “morning after” reaction inhibitor pill or a trip to Planned Parenthood. I bet guilt-free, pimp-style living is just… wonderful.

As for love, forgetaboutit. It’s just pheromones (aka chemicals). That’s why they call it “chemistry”. There is no magic here! Hasn’t the Once Amazing Randi debunked this?

And as an atheist you do not have to worry about the dilemma over “free will” vs. predestination. It’s mind boggling for the rest of us, but not for you. Even Barney knows chemical reactions cannot have free will. No. No way. Can’t happen! Just as sodium cannot react with chlorine and decide that it is going to be sugar instead of salt, you are stuck with your personal chemical reaction that has made you maybe a 5’6″,bitter, unemployed, mouth-breathing, neck-bearded gamer with poor hygiene or Lady GaGa. Who ever, what ever you are, it’s not your fault. Which is why you are almost certainly a liberal. You are not responsible for your lack of success. It is perfectly clear to you that the more successful chemical reactions are not responsible for their successes either. Since you are both equally culpable, as are all the people of the world; it logically follows that you should all enjoy the same standard of living. In your mind you should have all the stuff a douche like Donald Trump has or he should only have the stuff that you have. You count on your government to make that happen. Your vote counts as much as Trump’s even if you are living on inflated student loans to an online “university” and food stamps. Darwin would not approve.

And there is another upside to being an atheist, you don’t have to fear the coming zombie invasion. According to legend, zombies are just fellow soulless chemical reactions that have been restarted. Satan has taken their souls. They are looking for new ones. ”No problemo!” You don’t have one. So just download MJ’s “Thriller” video. Practice the zombie dance. When it comes, just get down with your bro’s.You will fit right in. When you think about it: you have no choice.

I have a new blog at http://www.atheistsrfun.com/

I would reply seriously, but taking the time out of my day to do so would be like trying to solve a puzzle to get laid with the ugliest chick you can imagine. Basically it would be a HUGE waste of time.

Face it dude, you are fucking stupid.

Btw, we don't worship science, we use the scientific method to help unravel the most mysterious problems of the world, and of reality(or what we perceive thereof). Science hasn't discovered EVERYTHING, but science has discovered MORE things than your religion.

Science allowed for you to make this stupidity-ridden post.

I honestly think this thread made my brain cells commit suicide.

And so what If we don't have free will?By the way, we don't have free will AS YOU DEFINE FREE WILL. If Free Will was the ability to make choices, regardless of the chemical make up of our bodies, or any reactions, we still make choices, and thus have a will to do so unrestrained by a bearded man in the fucking sky.

If I define Free Will differently than you, what's to say that we don't have my version of free will?

Go pick up a science book, you fucking moron.

Oh yeah, and atheists CAN believe in a soul. The only thing atheists can't believe in is a God of some sort. I can be an atheist and believe in souls, I just would have to rationalize it in a redundant, and useless fashion, but it is possible.

These are the requirements for an atheist to be an atheist:

Don't believe in God.

Do you see "Don't believe in a soul" in there at all?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 5 users Like Atothetheist's post
28-10-2012, 05:45 PM
(28-10-2012 05:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Sorry, dude, I gotta disagree.

I thought it was a well-written (if slightly over-long) rant and I, for one, appreciate the effort.

I ought have shown you some of the rants that I was writing when I was a ultra-conservative.

Hobo Big Grin
28-10-2012, 05:48 PM
(28-10-2012 05:45 PM)AlanWestfall Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 05:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Sorry, dude, I gotta disagree.

I ought have shown you some of the rants that I was writing when I was a ultra-conservative.

Hobo Big Grin

Please do. Sharing is caring Big Grin

28-10-2012, 06:48 PM
(28-10-2012 05:44 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 10:42 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  So, you’re an Atheist. You believe in Science instead of a God. Right. Obviously you are a very smart guy. It’s Science. No God. No soul. I get it. It’s all explained by Science. By Science, we – humans – are really complex chemical reactions. Chemistry is really atomic and molecular physics. Biology, DNA, and all that are really just chemistry. Right? Knuckle tap. Yea! No God. No soul. No heaven. No hell. Just chemistry. Got it.

Ultimately, according to you and Science, human life is an oxidation reaction: a slow burning fire. Oxygen in. Carbon dioxide out. Until it is extinguished, by a fast-moving beer truck or a heart attack or an angry ex-lover, or an angry ex lover driving a beer truck causing you to have a heart attack. Right? I thought so. Bro hug. That’s the way it was explained to me by my first college physics teaching assistant Mr. Fitzroy. No God. No soul. Just Science.

Accurately put, a human is soulless chemical reaction. Right? I have heard this echoed many times in the chat rooms, dorm rooms, forums, and sites where fervent soulless chemical chain reactions gather to share their empty glass and ridicule religions. When pressed, they will agree that life on earth is simply soulless chemicals reacting with other soulless chemicals. Right? Thus, therefore, and in conclusion you are, from your big toe to the highest hair in your purple Mohawk, you are a soulless chemical reaction reading this on some electronic device right now. And most of you are proud of who you are? Right! Damn right? High five!

But some of you may be saying, “Man, I am not buying into all that.” Then you want to ramble on about messed up stuff in the Bible, Hitchins, or whatever.

“Come on! You are an ATHEIST! It’s simple: No God! No soul!” If you believe in one of those, you are not an atheist. Clear. I certainly hope so.

And given that you are a soulless chemical reaction, for the sake of personal integrity, you should admit to it. Some would point out that soulless chemical chain reactions have no reason to have integrity but Dawkins says that many soulless chemical chain reactions have integrity. Here is why: “Darwin and um, natural selection, random stuff. and then millions of years is like a long time, a hundred monkeys on a hundred typewriters, it evolved. OK!”

“Yeah, Riigght.”

And you should also admit that you have no spirituality. Again many of you are saying, “No Problemo, dude!” in Jeff Spicoli’s voice.

But some are saying “Hold on, I am a spiritual person. I am! I am! I love puppies and kittens, and long walks on the beach.”

“No you’re not! I’m calling bull crap on that! “Spiritual” is a non-science thing. You believe in S-C-I-E-N-C-E! You are a soulless f’ing chemical chain reaction. Accept it. Do we need a 12 step program here? Sheesh, even Bigbird gets this.”

And when you are having special pre-sexy time pillow talk with your current soulless chemical reaction hook-up, you can not look in its eyes and talk about a spiritual connection. Face it, you are a soulless chemical reaction about to possibly have a hot, steamy chemical reaction with another soulless chemical reaction that could maybe start a dependent soulless chemical reaction in the reaction chamber of the xx chromosomed soulless chemical reaction. Hopefully you are ready for said dependent soulless chemical reaction to start. If it is inconvenient, you can easily extinguish this chemical reaction with a “morning after” reaction inhibitor pill or a trip to Planned Parenthood. I bet guilt-free, pimp-style living is just… wonderful.

As for love, forgetaboutit. It’s just pheromones (aka chemicals). That’s why they call it “chemistry”. There is no magic here! Hasn’t the Once Amazing Randi debunked this?

And as an atheist you do not have to worry about the dilemma over “free will” vs. predestination. It’s mind boggling for the rest of us, but not for you. Even Barney knows chemical reactions cannot have free will. No. No way. Can’t happen! Just as sodium cannot react with chlorine and decide that it is going to be sugar instead of salt, you are stuck with your personal chemical reaction that has made you maybe a 5’6″,bitter, unemployed, mouth-breathing, neck-bearded gamer with poor hygiene or Lady GaGa. Who ever, what ever you are, it’s not your fault. Which is why you are almost certainly a liberal. You are not responsible for your lack of success. It is perfectly clear to you that the more successful chemical reactions are not responsible for their successes either. Since you are both equally culpable, as are all the people of the world; it logically follows that you should all enjoy the same standard of living. In your mind you should have all the stuff a douche like Donald Trump has or he should only have the stuff that you have. You count on your government to make that happen. Your vote counts as much as Trump’s even if you are living on inflated student loans to an online “university” and food stamps. Darwin would not approve.

And there is another upside to being an atheist, you don’t have to fear the coming zombie invasion. According to legend, zombies are just fellow soulless chemical reactions that have been restarted. Satan has taken their souls. They are looking for new ones. ”No problemo!” You don’t have one. So just download MJ’s “Thriller” video. Practice the zombie dance. When it comes, just get down with your bro’s.You will fit right in. When you think about it: you have no choice.

I would reply seriously, but taking the time out of my day to do so would be like trying to solve a puzzle to get laid with the ugliest chick you can imagine. Basically it would be a HUGE waste of time.

Btw, we don't worship science, we use the scientific method to help unravel the most mysterious problems of the world, and of reality(or what we perceive thereof). Science hasn't discovered EVERYTHING, but science has discovered MORE things than your religion.

And so what If we don't have free will?By the way, we don't have free will AS YOU DEFINE FREE WILL. If Free Will was the ability to make choices, regardless of the chemical make up of our bodies, or any reactions, we still make choices, and thus have a will to do so unrestrained by a bearded man in the fucking sky.

If I define Free Will differently than you, what's to say that we don't have my version of free will?

Oh yeah, and atheists CAN believe in a soul. The only thing atheists can't believe in is a God of some sort. I can be an atheist and believe in souls, I just would have to rationalize it in a redundant, and useless fashion, but it is possible.

Don't believe in God.

Feeling a little extra angst today A-squared?

Take a breath, and address the post, not the emotions it makes you feel. Seriously. I know damn well you have a very intelligent, rational side. I'd like to hear that serious analasys you alluded to.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
28-10-2012, 06:52 PM
(28-10-2012 06:48 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 05:44 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I would reply seriously, but taking the time out of my day to do so would be like trying to solve a puzzle to get laid with the ugliest chick you can imagine. Basically it would be a HUGE waste of time.

Don't believe in God.

Feeling a little extra angst today A-squared?

Take a breath, and address the post, not the emotions it makes you feel. Seriously. I know damn well you have a very intelligent, rational side. I'd like to hear that serious analasys you alluded to.

More like a surplus of annoyance. I'll try to do one, but everytime I see his post it reminds me of a person who really shouldn't be this dumb.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
28-10-2012, 06:52 PM

“Yeah, Riigght.”

This is the problem with having conversations with yourself... you have to assume our side of the conversation. At least in my case, you missed the mark.

You assume that "soulless" is a derogatory term that we're trying to avoid, but if the shoe fits, wear it. I'm not hurt by the accusation that I don't have a soul because I don't. Neither do you. Get over it.

Nor do I mind being called "unspiritual". I don't believe in spirits, so I'm not spiritual. Again, it's not insulting if it's true. I don't have a spirit and neither do you. Again, get over it.

The free will argument is the only engaging part of this piece, but it has been discussed to death. You merely assume that a "soulless chemical reaction" cannot have free will. Are animals incapable of making decisions? Are you certain that you yourself are in control of every decision you make?

Sam Harris came up with a clever exercise to demonstrate that you don't have "free will". He asked you to come up with a world city -- don't think about it, just name a world city. Did you choose it freely? Obviously you couldn't name a world city that you've never heard of, and there are others that you haven't considered in a long time and thus wouldn't spring to mind. While there's still a pool of cities you could choose from, your subconscious mind picked one, not your conscious mind or "will", and there's probably a reason you picked that specific city if you thought about it for a minute. It would be related to a recent experience or perhaps a visit there, or maybe you read or heard about it in the past few days.

It might be insulting to you to think that you have no soul or no ability to truly choose what you will do, but suck it up. We can deal with it. Denial is the worst possible choice you could make here.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post