So, you are an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 05:47 AM by DLJ.)
RE: So, you are an atheist.
(28-10-2012 08:41 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  That's the A-squared I was lookin for! Well said brother.

*sniff*

Our baby boy is all grow'd up.

Weeping

(28-10-2012 08:00 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  ... I don't see your point other than to hint that atheist live a guilt-free sex lifestyle. If they do, clearly I didn't get that memo.

Guys,
Can we please remember to cc A-squared on the memo next time it goes out. Cheers.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Science has nothing to do with atheism, really.

You think I became an atheist at age 10 because of science? I didn't know or care about science.

Science can fill in SOME of the gaps in knowledge that people use god to fill, that is all.

But it is most certainly not the cause of atheism for me.

So, while amusing, the whole initial post is based on - the belief that science causes atheism.

Sure, some people read about science and realize that it makes more sense that an antiquated book, written by uneducated people.

But it is certainly not the reason why I don't believe. (And please note, I said I don't believe. I didn't even say I don't believe in god. That's because I don't believe in science either. If I believe anything, it's that we don't know shit.)

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
29-10-2012, 06:03 AM
*insert jealousy based snide remark here*

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-10-2012, 06:18 AM
(29-10-2012 06:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's because I don't believe in science either. If I believe anything, it's that we don't know shit.)

We do know shit. You can grow veggies in it.
29-10-2012, 06:20 AM
(29-10-2012 05:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 08:41 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  That's the A-squared I was lookin for! Well said brother.

*sniff*

Our baby boy is all grow'd up.

Weeping

(28-10-2012 08:00 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  ... I don't see your point other than to hint that atheist live a guilt-free sex lifestyle. If they do, clearly I didn't get that memo.

Guys,
Can we please remember to cc A-squared on the memo next time it goes out. Cheers.

He wasn't on the "need to know" list. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-10-2012, 07:47 AM
(29-10-2012 06:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 06:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's because I don't believe in science either. If I believe anything, it's that we don't know shit.)

We do know shit. You can grow veggies in it.

Not all shit though. You gots to know your shit to do shit with it.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-10-2012, 09:18 AM
(28-10-2012 10:42 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  So, you’re an Atheist. You believe in Science instead of a God. Right. Obviously you are a very smart guy. It’s Science. No God. No soul. I get it. It’s all explained by Science. By Science, we – humans – are really complex chemical reactions. Chemistry is really atomic and molecular physics. Biology, DNA, and all that are really just chemistry. Right? Knuckle tap. Yea! No God. No soul. No heaven. No hell. Just chemistry. Got it.

Ultimately, according to you and Science, human life is an oxidation reaction: a slow burning fire. Oxygen in. Carbon dioxide out. Until it is extinguished, by a fast-moving beer truck or a heart attack or an angry ex-lover, or an angry ex lover driving a beer truck causing you to have a heart attack. Right? I thought so. Bro hug. That’s the way it was explained to me by my first college physics teaching assistant Mr. Fitzroy. No God. No soul. Just Science.

Accurately put, a human is soulless chemical reaction. Right? I have heard this echoed many times in the chat rooms, dorm rooms, forums, and sites where fervent soulless chemical chain reactions gather to share their empty glass and ridicule religions. When pressed, they will agree that life on earth is simply soulless chemicals reacting with other soulless chemicals. Right? Thus, therefore, and in conclusion you are, from your big toe to the highest hair in your purple Mohawk, you are a soulless chemical reaction reading this on some electronic device right now. And most of you are proud of who you are? Right! Damn right? High five!

But some of you may be saying, “Man, I am not buying into all that.” Then you want to ramble on about messed up stuff in the Bible, Hitchins, or whatever.

“Come on! You are an ATHEIST! It’s simple: No God! No soul!” If you believe in one of those, you are not an atheist. Clear. I certainly hope so.

And given that you are a soulless chemical reaction, for the sake of personal integrity, you should admit to it. Some would point out that soulless chemical chain reactions have no reason to have integrity but Dawkins says that many soulless chemical chain reactions have integrity. Here is why: “Darwin and um, natural selection, random stuff. and then millions of years is like a long time, a hundred monkeys on a hundred typewriters, it evolved. OK!”

“Yeah, Riigght.”

And you should also admit that you have no spirituality. Again many of you are saying, “No Problemo, dude!” in Jeff Spicoli’s voice.

But some are saying “Hold on, I am a spiritual person. I am! I am! I love puppies and kittens, and long walks on the beach.”

“No you’re not! I’m calling bull crap on that! “Spiritual” is a non-science thing. You believe in S-C-I-E-N-C-E! You are a soulless f’ing chemical chain reaction. Accept it. Do we need a 12 step program here? Sheesh, even Bigbird gets this.”

And when you are having special pre-sexy time pillow talk with your current soulless chemical reaction hook-up, you can not look in its eyes and talk about a spiritual connection. Face it, you are a soulless chemical reaction about to possibly have a hot, steamy chemical reaction with another soulless chemical reaction that could maybe start a dependent soulless chemical reaction in the reaction chamber of the xx chromosomed soulless chemical reaction. Hopefully you are ready for said dependent soulless chemical reaction to start. If it is inconvenient, you can easily extinguish this chemical reaction with a “morning after” reaction inhibitor pill or a trip to Planned Parenthood. I bet guilt-free, pimp-style living is just… wonderful.

As for love, forgetaboutit. It’s just pheromones (aka chemicals). That’s why they call it “chemistry”. There is no magic here! Hasn’t the Once Amazing Randi debunked this?

And as an atheist you do not have to worry about the dilemma over “free will” vs. predestination. It’s mind boggling for the rest of us, but not for you. Even Barney knows chemical reactions cannot have free will. No. No way. Can’t happen! Just as sodium cannot react with chlorine and decide that it is going to be sugar instead of salt, you are stuck with your personal chemical reaction that has made you maybe a 5’6″,bitter, unemployed, mouth-breathing, neck-bearded gamer with poor hygiene or Lady GaGa. Who ever, what ever you are, it’s not your fault. Which is why you are almost certainly a liberal. You are not responsible for your lack of success. It is perfectly clear to you that the more successful chemical reactions are not responsible for their successes either. Since you are both equally culpable, as are all the people of the world; it logically follows that you should all enjoy the same standard of living. In your mind you should have all the stuff a douche like Donald Trump has or he should only have the stuff that you have. You count on your government to make that happen. Your vote counts as much as Trump’s even if you are living on inflated student loans to an online “university” and food stamps. Darwin would not approve.

And there is another upside to being an atheist, you don’t have to fear the coming zombie invasion. According to legend, zombies are just fellow soulless chemical reactions that have been restarted. Satan has taken their souls. They are looking for new ones. ”No problemo!” You don’t have one. So just download MJ’s “Thriller” video. Practice the zombie dance. When it comes, just get down with your bro’s.You will fit right in. When you think about it: you have no choice.

I have a new blog at http://www.atheistsrfun.com/
I love how you say "I get it" right in the first paragraph, but you really don't get it at all. Atheism is the absence of belief in a god or gods. That's it. No more, no less. This says nothing about a soul, spirituality, science, free will, or anything else mentioned in your rant. In fact, it is possible to be an atheist and believe in a soul and/or spirituality and/or free will and/or (of course) science, but none of that is necessary in order to be an atheist. Now I would say the vast majority of atheists probably do believe science explains everything, there are no souls, and "spirituality" has little if any meaning. Free will gets more complicated. But again, even so, none of that is necessary in order to be an atheist.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
29-10-2012, 09:42 AM
(29-10-2012 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 04:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't believe you.

And your credibility is ... Blink ... Consider ... Blink?

As good as yours, if not better! Hobo

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-10-2012, 09:42 AM
(29-10-2012 06:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  I didn't know or care about science.

Ohmy

I don't ever remember such a state.

And as has been mentioned, there is no causation, but there definitely seems to be some correlation.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2012, 11:47 AM
(29-10-2012 09:42 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 06:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  I didn't know or care about science.

Ohmy

I don't ever remember such a state.

I was busy playing outside with the other kids in the neighborhood when not in school, and we didn't get science til the next grade. Then we got physics, and chemistry, no subject was called "science".

They were good times. Big Grin No science or gods needed. Just plenty of imagination...