So you still want to move to Canada, eh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 08:03 PM
RE: So you still want to move to Canada, eh?
I drove back to Ottawa from Vermont this morning. The highway was about as bad as I've seen it since I've been here, especially around Magog. I came across an older guy who'd gone off the road and down a hill. He was actually lucky there was enough snow to pile up in front of him and stop his car halfway down the hill or he would have ended up face first in a tree. I pulled over and helped him walk up the hill and stay warm in my car while the police came. He had no snow tires, no coat, no gloves, tennis shoes on, clearly at the other end of the paranoid prepper spectrum from me lol. More of the "Why worry about it when I can call the police?" variety.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like yakherder's post
05-12-2016, 08:26 PM
(05-12-2016 08:03 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I drove back to Ottawa from Vermont this morning. The highway was about as bad as I've seen it since I've been here, especially around Magog. I came across an older guy who'd gone off the road and down a hill. He was actually lucky there was enough snow to pile up in front of him and stop his car halfway down the hill or he would have ended up face first in a tree. I pulled over and helped him walk up the hill and stay warm in my car while the police came. He had no snow tires, no coat, no gloves, tennis shoes on, clearly at the other end of the paranoid prepper spectrum from me lol. More of the "Why worry about it when I can call the police?" variety.

Aw that was nice of you Thumbsup
05-12-2016, 08:29 PM
(05-12-2016 08:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 08:03 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I drove back to Ottawa from Vermont this morning. The highway was about as bad as I've seen it since I've been here, especially around Magog. I came across an older guy who'd gone off the road and down a hill. He was actually lucky there was enough snow to pile up in front of him and stop his car halfway down the hill or he would have ended up face first in a tree. I pulled over and helped him walk up the hill and stay warm in my car while the police came. He had no snow tires, no coat, no gloves, tennis shoes on, clearly at the other end of the paranoid prepper spectrum from me lol. More of the "Why worry about it when I can call the police?" variety.

Aw that was nice of you Thumbsup

Shh, don't tell anyone Blush

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
05-12-2016, 09:38 PM
(05-12-2016 03:32 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  ...
and we all know they would love to take us down,

Off topic but since you brought it up...

We do not all know that.

It's one of the things that you worry about but will never happen.

Conflicts involving China have only ever been internal, defensive or minor border scuffles. They have a history of insularity but they also have a culture of "face" (kiasu) i.e. fear of losing face... which means occasionally they'll send a "don't fuck with us" message.

SE Asia countries have been concerned that this might change with the recent shift towards American Values™ i.e. capitalism / exceptionalism ... which is what the TPP was really about.

What might be concerning them right now:
- If Trump makes US businesses pull out - thus impacting their exports.
- If Trump triggers greater internal instability thus making the US a bad option for their own elite to stash their cash - but so what, they'll just shift their offshore wealth somewhere else (Australia is my guess).
- If Trump's tax policy cripples the US economy so that debt payments will be cancelled/delayed - but the Chinese play a long game and will have planned for this.
- If the Orwellian perpetual war charade gets Californians thinking that they are an actual threat - but so far the US propaganda machine is stuck in the groove of promoting Russia is the main threat.

So you can sleep well tonight.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-12-2016, 09:52 PM
China lost a few soldiers in South Sudan this year and, judging by the public reaction, I don't think they have the stomach for the losses that would be associated with a real fight.

Hard to say, though. They were limited by the same bullshit rules of engagement, inherent to most U.N. missions, that's had me bitter after playing the same game in the same spot a good 15 years ago.

'Murican Canadian
05-12-2016, 10:20 PM
(05-12-2016 09:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 03:32 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  ...
and we all know they would love to take us down,

We do not all know that.

It's one of the things that you worry about but will never happen.

Conflicts involving China have only ever been internal, defensive or minor border scuffles. They have a history of insularity but they also have a culture of "face" (kiasu) i.e. fear of losing face... which means occasionally they'll send a "don't fuck with us" message.

SE Asia countries have been concerned that this might change with the recent shift towards American Values™ i.e. capitalism / exceptionalism ... which is what the TPP was really about.

What might be concerning them right now:
- If Trump makes US businesses pull out - thus impacting their exports.
- If Trump triggers greater internal instability thus making the US a bad option for their own elite to stash their cash - but so what, they'll just shift their offshore wealth somewhere else (Australia is my guess).
- If Trump's tax policy cripples the US economy so that debt payments will be cancelled/delayed - but the Chinese play a long game and will have planned for this.
- If the Orwellian perpetual war charade gets Californians thinking that they are an actual threat - but so far the US propaganda machine is stuck in the groove of promoting Russia is the main threat.

So you can sleep well tonight.

Thumbsup

My take-

Chump isn't going to be able to enforce any of his rhetoric about forcing US company's involvement in China.

Chump isn't going to be able to enact a tax policy that will cripple the US. Even his psychophants (sic) in the Republican party aren't going to go there.

I don't actually think that the Chinese will attack. IMO, they don't stand a chance of much more than serious embarrassment. I think that they are sabre-rattling in the same way the the Russians used to do. Further, the economic linkage is pretty strong now, and to go out and start a near- or whole-global conflict would destroy them, as well as everybody else. If they do attack, it would be skirmishes, which would, unfortunately, put the entire world on edge, and they'd have to back down before it escalated too far. Thus, I doubt an attack, even with that possessed hamster in the White House.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
06-12-2016, 12:36 AM
(05-12-2016 02:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Meh, New England is practically Canada with respect to weather.

Love how people call it that even though New England is not a state but a general area. like Scandinavia. And hell New Scotland (Nova Scotia) is even north of New England!

Poor Ireland though...
06-12-2016, 12:07 PM
(05-12-2016 10:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  [quote='DLJ' pid='1099837' dateline='1480995536']

Chump isn't going to be able to enact a tax policy that will cripple the US. Even his psychophants (sic) in the Republican party aren't going to go there.

ooooh, love that term psychophants: Bowing
Can I steal it?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
06-12-2016, 01:05 PM
(06-12-2016 12:07 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 10:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Chump isn't going to be able to enact a tax policy that will cripple the US. Even his psychophants (sic) in the Republican party aren't going to go there.

ooooh, love that term psychophants: Bowing
Can I steal it?

Too late, I already did.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Psychopants?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.