So you want to be a professional musician. Do's and don'ts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 07:17 PM by Banjo.)
So you want to be a professional musician. Do's and don'ts.
This is inspired by a post I read by an amateur who wishes to one day become a professional. Here are 20 recommendations that may help.

My resume consists of working with pop and rock stars as both a drummer and percussionist, lecturing on the nature of the business and recording, education, television, radio, recording sessions, extensive touring etc etc. I am also considered a leading musician and teacher in my country. I have also authored articles for music publications and educational supplements.

I am speaking from the experience gained over my 33 year professional career.

1. Know your instrument.
2. Exude possitivity at all times. (Nobody wants to work with a negative musician)
3. Learn as much as possible.
4. Music is music.
5. Always be early.
6. Preparation preparation preparation. Now say it 1000 times.
7. Learn to read and write charts.
8. Learn modern recording techniques. And old recording techniques.
9. NEVER speak ill of a musical style, professional musician, producer or executive. Word travels fast and the phone can stop ringing. And you will NEVER know why.
10. Be respectful.
11. Learn to take direction without attitude.
12. Every professional musician deserves respect. Remember, this is one of the most competitive industries on earth. A career of 5 years is amazing.
13. Play as often as possible in as many styles as possible. Every experience can help you. Even bad experiences.
14. Take back up instruments, spare parts and tools to every gig and session.
15. Be prepared for surprizes. (I once recorded a tamborim part for a TV session in a kitchen cupboard.)
16. Take lessons. Always. (I still take lessons. Although they have changed and are now discussions.)
17. Never think you know everything.
18. Live up to your word.
19. Treat fans with courtesy and respect.
20. Get to know as many people as possible. It is a word of mouth industry.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
09-04-2014, 07:35 PM
RE: So you want to be a professional musician. Do's and don'ts.
One more special thing just for drummers.

ALWAYS take an LM400 on recording sessions fitted with Remo Ambassadors top and bottom.

You cannot imagine how often this has been requested of me. As a result I have one from every decade since their inception.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
10-04-2014, 10:56 PM
RE: So you want to be a professional musician. Do's and don'ts.
Or you could follow 'Paranoid Sam's Guide to Rockin' Out'.

Some rules to follow.

- Louder is ALWAYS better.
- Keyboards are for girls.
- Singers are up themselves and gobshites.
- Vomiting on stage is NEVER a bad thing.
- Smashing your guitar may take you places.
- Drummers are people too.
- Hotels are for trashing.
- Seats are for standing on.
- The space under a Strat's pickguard is a good place to stash weed.
- Be sure your amplifier goes to at least 11.
- Have a piss BEFORE you go on.
- Blood is good.
- Boston is NOT a big college town.
- Mozart + Bach = Mach

Miscellaneous advice...

- If you should happen to puke in the back of your amplifier head... do not despair, for when electricity is applied, an interesting light show occurs within the vacuum tubes, which will ultimately enhance your stage show.

- If your singer complains that you are too loud. The professional response is to smash your guitar and walk off. Then proceed to smash the dressing room up and smear shit on the walls.

-If you should happen to die... Ensure that you are found completely naked, face down in a pool of your own vomit, with an anonymous groupie who then steals $50,000 in cash from your wallet.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user