Social Constructionism and Gender as a Spectrum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Social Constructionism and Gender as a Spectrum
(08-06-2017 05:10 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Why not? Isn't concern for our fellows the cornerstone of building a better society?

"concern for our fellows" is great, I included it in mine, we don't have it as a cornerstone. Ours is more like 'take for me and my group no matter what." fags are no different than the rest of us.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2017, 03:46 PM
(09-06-2017 03:45 PM)AB517 Wrote:  fags are no different than the rest of us.

Fuck off, you vile piece of quasi-human shit. Go back to your knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing conservatives buddies.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
09-06-2017, 04:03 PM
(09-06-2017 03:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 03:45 PM)AB517 Wrote:  fags are no different than the rest of us.

Fuck off, you vile piece of quasi-human shit. Go back to your knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing conservatives buddies.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

case closed.
09-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Yeah, the case of you being an ignorant, vile human being (and I use the word human extremely loosely)

I repeat - this is not the place for you. Your sheer presence in it makes it worse, viler and stupider.

Go away.

09-06-2017, 07:16 PM
(09-06-2017 06:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, the case of you being an ignorant, vile human being (and I use the word human extremely loosely)

I repeat - this is not the place for you. Your sheer presence in it makes it worse, viler and stupider.

Go away.

vera, you're the one with the problem, not me. If you can't take a little levity mixed in with a serious topic that's on you.

I have to teach my children about people like you. I tell them when they argue with a person like you ... I see two crazy people fighting.

You picked a select group of words out of my post that did not convey what I was saying. You do that alot.
09-06-2017, 07:21 PM
No, you're just a disgusting bigot. You are not welcome here.

09-06-2017, 09:32 PM
(09-06-2017 03:45 PM)AB517 Wrote:  Ours is more like 'take for me and my group no matter what."
History says otherwise.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
23-06-2017, 03:00 AM
"Is gender a social construction that encompasses a full spectrum of personal identities or is there a biological component to gender identity?"

The answer to your question is yes. This is one of those topics that i really really hate because people on both sides are so dogmatic. If you look at global surveys of gender identity you discover that it has no hard definition. For example in ancient Egypt men wore makeup. Dresses began as mens cloths. Men holding hands in India is not a statement of ones sexual preference. Women who are warriors have been brutal (Historically). Many virtues (such as running a business) were originally seen as feminine occupations. That last in particular changed after greece was conquered by... one of the middle eastern empire's(can't remember which off the top of my head). The ruler at the time wanted to emasculate the greeks to prevent rebellion, so he restricted them to feminine things.

There does seem to be evidence that there are genuine difference between the sexes, such as how they learn. This is going to effect the way individuals shape their world view, which will create some gender difference. What about genetic chimeras though? Or people born with extra Y and X chromosomes? XYX XXY XYY XXX. What kind of impact does this have on the biology of someone? We know that hormones impact how we process information. From what i can tell the biological element seems to be minimal.

The purpose (as far as i can tell) of over promoting the difference seems to be based on a puritanical social control. Under our current social form relationships between men and women are highly exploitative on both sides. Women are treated like children, and men are disposable cattle.
23-06-2017, 05:09 AM
I just recently learned about the concept of "truth by necessity".

Example: A triangle has three sides. If shape does not have three sides it's not a triangle.

I think it's hard for some people to not to do this with people and genitalia but this can help you remember how: Shapes don't have feelings but people do.
24-06-2017, 11:03 PM
(05-06-2017 04:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 06:52 PM)mordant Wrote:  My guess is that striving for neutrality in attitudes towards gender and sexuality is itself a bias. Biology doesn't seem particularly neutral. Most (fe)males identify as (fe)male, and a nearly as overwhelming majority of people are attracted to the opposite rather than the same sex. That doesn't make the outliers wrong anymore than it makes left-handed people or albinos or bald people wrong. But I don't think anyone in their right mind ASKS to be different. It's hard enough having some idea what to expect and pretty much automatic social support for your default-riddled self. After 60 years I am still figuring me out, and I shudder to think how much harder that would be if I were not straight as an arrow and people disliked me for for being that way. That is why I never did understand why anyone has the notion that (for example) homosexuality is some sort of casual choice. It simply can't be ... no one in their right mind would choose up front to just make life more complicated and uncertain than it already inherently is.

1) your attitude toward being considered an outsider isn't universal
It's true that some people find being an outlier pleasing ... but if you've ever attempted to parent a teen you will understand that most want to fit in or at least not rock the boat any more than necessary. It's only somewhere often past young adulthood that most people know themselves well enough to do without validation, endure negative social pressure, and just generally pay a price for what they believe to be (un)true. And even then, it costs something and usually isn't done just for its own sake.
(05-06-2017 04:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  2) just from personal anecdotal observation i think young people think of sexual orientation and gender as much more fluid than previous generations
They are freer to do so, or maybe more precisely, less un-free to do so. There are fewer taboos. So sure.
(05-06-2017 04:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  3) people may be inclined to identify with something because it's in vogue or has a novelty- who knows what's in people's head
True enough but again the novelty has to be worth whatever social price it exacts.
(05-06-2017 04:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  4) I've always felt somewhat androgynous and bisexual myself but I've lived almost entirely in the realm of heterosexual male privilege. It seems to me that it's best not to try to restrict people or expect them to adhere to a biological definition as their gender. I'm inclined to let people define themselves as they see fit. What's it to me?
Quite.
(05-06-2017 04:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Mordant, hardly any of that was directed at you. You're probably thinking WTF??? I just quoted you and started numbering my thoughts pretty much at random lol

Except number 1
No worries, I did not take it personally.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post