Social Media Outrage and Public Shaming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Social Media Outrage and Public Shaming
We've all seen it. Some celebrity or another makes light of a serious cause with a crass joke, or spouts something really hateful and ignorant. It causes a social media uproar, gets splashed all over the news. Then the celebrity's PR team puts together the standard apology <insert offended cause here> for the celebrity to use as their own words to try and calm the fervor.

I get really tired of seeing this all the time, and really just wonder: does anyone buy these apologies? Does it do anything to make anyone feel better? I find these fake sounding apologies kind of insulting. I feel like it's saying "yeah, I was an asshole, I'm still an asshole, but here's an insincere apology, so you have to stop being mad at me now". Sometimes I have more respect for the folks who own their bigotry (thank you Duck Dynasty Dodgy ). At least they feel honest.

In this day in age where it's so easy to make our opinions known publicly bad or good, we are going to see a lot of this sort of thing. I think social media outrage when this kind of thing happens is good and bad.

When someone says something truly ignorant and disgusting (such as Paul George saying if Ray Rice's wife doesn't care that he beats her, he should be allowed to keep playing in the NFL) there should be outrage. It shines a light on some truly disturbing opinions a lot of people still have about domestic violence.

If a raunchy comedian makes a raunchy joke about a sensitive topic, and it's TRULY meant as a joke... Some folks need a thicker skin. Not everything you read on social media is going to be something you like.

What are your guys' thoughts on social media outrage? Do you buy the apologies that follow? Do they do any good?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 08:31 PM
RE: Social Media Outrage and Public Shaming
I'm with ya in rolling your eyes at anyone apologizing, and not meaning it, cause that's what the outraged call for, but it depends what the uproar is about, and the consequences called for against the offender, whether I condemn it.

Ray Rice: Outrage deserved! Jail time, too, maybe! This guy shouldn't get a free ticket!

Dwayne Bowe: He smoked a little weed, people, dayum! BUT he broke the conduct rule, so he gotta pay!

I don't need a public apology from either of them, don't even want to waste my time hearing one from Rice!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply