Social Networking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2011, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2011 10:43 PM by DeepThought.)
Big Grin Social Networking
Edit: Fixed the embedded video for you.
RealLife- A New Social Networking Site

One day, Youtube, Twitter and Facebook will come together to create the ultimate social´╗┐ network, it'll be called: YoutTwitFace.
Fr3Akles 200 thumbs up

I don't have a Facebook, only twitter. Facebook is a waste of time, friendships have been and fights have appeared more than hundred timesDodgy and they has been a revolution of pedophiles and stalkers. I do know Facebook has some benefits such as connecting with friends and family who live far away.

What do you think of Social Networking? Undecided

[Image: facebook-stalker-button.jpg] [Image: t86amx.jpg][Image: facebook-wrong.jpg] [Image: 3-teachers-fired-for-flirting-with-stude...ebook.jpeg]
[Image: Facebook-Baby-736313.png]

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2011, 04:31 PM

RE: Social Networking
I have no particular problem with social networks. If you keep yourself organize and watch what you say then you probably won't encounter problems online. For someone who's worried about the privacy of facebook and others, there are other options. Diaspora for example is a decentralized social network so they have practically no privacy issues. The only way to get in though is with an invitation from another member.

To me social networking is no different than interacting in everyday life. It makes the world smaller and can be very helpful in many situations. Just exercise caution when surfing the internet.

Also related to the topic at hand is Google+. Just got in Big Grin. For anyone who wants to look me up Omar Ibarra. And if anyone wants an invitation just private message me your email and name.
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM

I have not had any problems with Facebook. I am the only Atheist in my family so I don't have any family or personal friends as FB friends.
Most of my friends are Atheist some I met during the A week campaign others I have met since then. A few of my friends are religious but there have not been any problems.
I don't accept anyone and every one for friends I choose friends with like interests.
08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
(08-07-2011 04:31 PM)That sly kid Wrote:  I have no particular problem with social networks. If you keep yourself organize and watch what you say then you probably won't encounter problems online. For someone who's worried about the privacy of facebook and others, there are other options. Diaspora for example is a decentralized social network so they have practically no privacy issues. The only way to get in though is with an invitation from another member.

To me social networking is no different than interacting in everyday life. It makes the world smaller and can be very helpful in many situations. Just exercise caution when surfing the internet.

Also related to the topic at hand is Google+. Just got in Big Grin. For anyone who wants to look me up Omar Ibarra. And if anyone wants an invitation just private message me your email and name.
I am still waiting for my reply for Google+ too!Big Grin

09-07-2011, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 03:18 AM by Filox.)
I simply despise all sorts of social networks. That includes Facebook, MySpace, Tweeter and all other myspacebooks... The reason is privacy and stupidity. Privacy is something you can control, at least a little bit, but what I can not stand, and very few people know that every picture you put on Facebook, stays in their servers and they have legal right to use those pictures. Very unprofessional was the fact that you couldn't delete your account, only deactivate it, but I think they changed that last year, although I'm not sure. I don't see any use for Tweeter, why would I need to inform the world I am eating now, then I am taking a dump, or that I am happy? Who cares? MySpace was awful because of the design, I never saw a page that was readable, everyone was always trying to look cool, so they would choose some strange background colors and made the whole page unreadable. So these are my opinions of the social networks.

Now the real social problems with Facebook, this is not my opinion, this is my professional observation. First, kids have way bigger social problems because of Facebook than all the spanking and abuse together. Not all, of course, but a big part of Facebook population is completely crippled socially. People don't go out to play basket or ride bikes, or whatever, now they all hang out in front of the computer, and if your child is 10 and stay in front of Facbook, instead of going out and getting into trouble, then there is something very wrong with your kid and he/she will have big problems when they grow up, because they don't develop social intelligence and they don't know how to communicate with other people, unless they are in front of LCD screen. When those kind of kids turn 20 or so, they start to work and they need to talk to real people, there will be problems.

Other thing Facebook has destroyed is computer skills. Until a couple of years ago, people who had computers knew how to work with them, they had at least some basic knowledge about that machine and how it works, because not everything was automated and made for dummies, you actually needed to read a message that would pup up on your screen. Now people don't use computers anymore, they go on Facebook. Nobody goes to the Internet anymore, everybody goes to Facebook. Facebook has become the only thing most people do on computer, so they are all growing more and more stupid and basic, instead of learning new things about new technologies and improving their existing knowledge.

I know these thing because I am IT technician and administrator in couple of companies so I see every day where the whole computer world is going and I know what people are doing on their computers.

I see some of you have said that you need to know how to use the Internet if you want to keep your privacy and safety and that is very true, but you can not explain that to somebody who uses only Facebook and Tweeter, and has no idea that there is other stuff on computer. On multiple occasions some customers have asked me to install the Facebook on the computer with no OS. They did not tell me Windows or Linux, they said: "Can you install Facebook?". That is the direction where we are going.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-07-2011, 10:28 AM
(09-07-2011 03:08 AM)Filox Wrote:  I simply despise all sorts of social networks. That includes Facebook, MySpace, Tweeter and all other myspacebooks... The reason is privacy and stupidity. Privacy is something you can control, at least a little bit, but what I can not stand, and very few people know that every picture you put on Facebook, stays in their servers and they have legal right to use those pictures. Very unprofessional was the fact that you couldn't delete your account, only deactivate it, but I think they changed that last year, although I'm not sure. I don't see any use for Tweeter, why would I need to inform the world I am eating now, then I am taking a dump, or that I am happy? Who cares? MySpace was awful because of the design, I never saw a page that was readable, everyone was always trying to look cool, so they would choose some strange background colors and made the whole page unreadable. So these are my opinions of the social networks.

Now the real social problems with Facebook, this is not my opinion, this is my professional observation. First, kids have way bigger social problems because of Facebook than all the spanking and abuse together. Not all, of course, but a big part of Facebook population is completely crippled socially. People don't go out to play basket or ride bikes, or whatever, now they all hang out in front of the computer, and if your child is 10 and stay in front of Facbook, instead of going out and getting into trouble, then there is something very wrong with your kid and he/she will have big problems when they grow up, because they don't develop social intelligence and they don't know how to communicate with other people, unless they are in front of LCD screen. When those kind of kids turn 20 or so, they start to work and they need to talk to real people, there will be problems.

Other thing Facebook has destroyed is computer skills. Until a couple of years ago, people who had computers knew how to work with them, they had at least some basic knowledge about that machine and how it works, because not everything was automated and made for dummies, you actually needed to read a message that would pup up on your screen. Now people don't use computers anymore, they go on Facebook. Nobody goes to the Internet anymore, everybody goes to Facebook. Facebook has become the only thing most people do on computer, so they are all growing more and more stupid and basic, instead of learning new things about new technologies and improving their existing knowledge.

I know these thing because I am IT technician and administrator in couple of companies so I see every day where the whole computer world is going and I know what people are doing on their computers.

I see some of you have said that you need to know how to use the Internet if you want to keep your privacy and safety and that is very true, but you can not explain that to somebody who uses only Facebook and Tweeter, and has no idea that there is other stuff on computer. On multiple occasions some customers have asked me to install the Facebook on the computer with no OS. They did not tell me Windows or Linux, they said: "Can you install Facebook?". That is the direction where we are going.
so true! My classmates are on Facebook constantly with their Blackberries. My friend couldn't delete her Facebook at all so she just stop using it. I don't go on Twitter much only once a month or so. I have Yahoo,Google and MSN... that's about it. But my friends don't have Yahoo or Google and only 4 them have MSN.

09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I didn't care for social networking much in High School, but now that I'm away at college it's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends from back home.

How is Google+ anyway?

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Google + is a little difficult to use so far, but I'm sure that it's only because I'm unfamiliar with it's layout. I'm really digging the circles thing, handy dandy little bastard. I don't have anyone on it yet though so I have no way of play testing whether it works the way it's supposed to or not. I'd love to not have to worry about posting anti theist remarks and getting annoying comments that follow.

As far as social networking is concerned, it definitely has it pluses and it's minuses. Namely that it helps people who live far from one another ways in which to communicate on the cheap, and in the negative aspect it has definitely stunted peoples genuine social interactions. I only use it because I despise phones. I really hate talking on the phone, my ear gets sore and hot, I feel awkward and almost naked in a way. I hate home phones and I really hate cell phones. I'd rather type my conversation than talk it. At least I can think out what I'm going to say ( although I still don't really) But the other huge benefit for me is I hate awkward silences or run on conversations that never seem to end. You know when you're talking to certain friends that never know what goodbye means. I got to go.... "OH ok... say did you see that new movie?" Ugh I said I have to go. Damn you.
With text only conversations you say what you have to say and then you go away.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2011, 06:04 AM

I got a Google + invite from one of my FB friends yesterday.
I still have to figure out how every thing works but it doesn't look like it will be difficult to learn.
I like the circles. It's kind of like setting up different groups of people.
It's good if you want to keep friends and family separate.
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM

People are idiots, k?

That's the problem.

Facebook is great. It allows you to keep in touch with friends through a less awkward means than calling and texting. It lets you post things you want everyone to see, it makes it easier to communicate with people you don't usually talk to, it lets you learn things about other people you didn't know and show you a different side of them.

BUT, people are stupid. People get suddenly brave when they're behind a computer and say stupid inflammatory things. People put up more information than they should. People stalk others. People TYPE LIKE FUCKING RETARDS AND PISS ME OFF TO ABSOLUTELY NO END

but yea

Facebook is fine.
People suck.