Social Security and Medicare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Social Security and Medicare
I'm retired and my wife will retire this summer. I have a Civil Service Pension, we both get Social Security and she has a 403(b) plan. Our house is paid for free and clear. Financially we are sitting pretty.

However, lately I've been getting a lot of letters and emails from the Democratic party telling me that the Republicans have plans to get rid of Social Security and Medicare (the Ryan plan). If Social Security goes it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that my pension will go too. In short, if Ryan has his way we will go from sitting pretty to impoverished.

I'm not worried about the near future. Obama would certainly veto such foolishness and the G.O.P. does not have the votes to override. 2016 is a different story. I think the G.O.P. has a definite shot at the White House and both houses.

If S.S. and Medicare were eliminated in one fell swoop it would hit not only us but our adult children, because inevitably we would become financially dependent upon them, a scenario that would repeat itself millions of times over across the country. If the G.O.P. did this they would be voted out in 2020 by seniors and the children supporting them.

Of course such a move would destroy the economy. My wife and I would be forced to cut spending by thousands per month. Multiply that a few millions and the economy would go into the toilet.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 07:30 PM
RE: Social Security and Medicare
(22-03-2015 06:48 PM)f stop Wrote:  I'm retired and my wife will retire this summer. I have a Civil Service Pension, we both get Social Security and she has a 403(b) plan. Our house is paid for free and clear. Financially we are sitting pretty.

However, lately I've been getting a lot of letters and emails from the Democratic party telling me that the Republicans have plans to get rid of Social Security and Medicare (the Ryan plan). If Social Security goes it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that my pension will go too. In short, if Ryan has his way we will go from sitting pretty to impoverished.

I'm not worried about the near future. Obama would certainly veto such foolishness and the G.O.P. does not have the votes to override. 2016 is a different story. I think the G.O.P. has a definite shot at the White House and both houses.

If S.S. and Medicare were eliminated in one fell swoop it would hit not only us but our adult children, because inevitably we would become financially dependent upon them, a scenario that would repeat itself millions of times over across the country. If the G.O.P. did this they would be voted out in 2020 by seniors and the children supporting them.

Of course such a move would destroy the economy. My wife and I would be forced to cut spending by thousands per month. Multiply that a few millions and the economy would go into the toilet.

It will never fly. If Ryan attempts to get rid of either, he will be gotten rid of. End of story. Congress knows they would never get re-elected if they attempted any such thing. Even they are not that stupid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-03-2015, 07:47 PM
They don't call it the third rail for nothing.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
23-03-2015, 03:28 AM
(22-03-2015 06:48 PM)f stop Wrote:  I'm retired and my wife will retire this summer. I have a Civil Service Pension, we both get Social Security and she has a 403(b) plan. Our house is paid for free and clear. Financially we are sitting pretty.

The mail you are getting is plain demagoguery. Ryan never suggested eliminating any of these programs. Changing them? Yes, he has proposed that before , but always with regard to future retirees who still have time to adjust retirement plans. Absolutely anything the GOP proposes will be characterized by the Dems as "eliminating" these programs.
23-03-2015, 04:32 AM
This is a classic scare technique. "Vote for us, or you're doomed!" It's not going to happen. I wouldn't spend 2 seconds worrying about it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
23-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Scare tactics, pure and simple.

Now the real concern for someone near and in retirement is the interest rates. Traditionally, retirees depend on fixed income due to its stability. Since our fearless leaders do not believe that debts ever have to be paid, our total debt is enormous. Any upward movement in interest rates has a severe impact on the nation's ability to pay the interest on those debts. Therefore the Fed, no matter how much lip service it gives the uneducated public, cannot raise interest rates more than anything in basis points thereby fucking all retirees since inflation (no matter how much the BLS changes the metric) is eroding the purchasing power of everyone on a fixed income.

Sure you can try to invest in riskier investments but the stock market is a con game right now as it is supported by QE 1-3.

So in summary, don't believe the scare tactics of either party. All that matters is (1) they both lie in order to win (2) they do not have your interests in mind (3) our economy is fucked without a drastic correction in several areas.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
28-03-2015, 05:12 PM
(22-03-2015 07:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

It will never fly. If Ryan attempts to get rid of either, he will be gotten rid of. End of story. Congress knows they would never get re-elected if they attempted any such thing. Even they are not that stupid.

But, they are Republicans...
29-03-2015, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't depend on the government if I were you.
I'm supposed to get a pension from the gov in about 25 years or so but I'll certainly won't plan on it. It's best to cover your own ass just in case.
29-03-2015, 11:59 AM
(29-03-2015 11:48 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I wouldn't depend on the government if I were you.
I'm supposed to get a pension from the gov in about 25 years or so but I'll certainly won't plan on it. It's best to cover your own ass just in case.

25 years ago, I also foolishly believed that as well. I was wrong then and you're wrong now...
29-03-2015, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 12:47 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(29-03-2015 11:59 AM)pcuser Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 11:48 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I wouldn't depend on the government if I were you.

25 years ago, I also foolishly believed that as well. I was wrong then and you're wrong now...

Are you saying that it's not best to cover your own ass? That it's best to depend on others?
I don't see how it would be foolish for me to plan for my own future but I do see how it's foolish to expect the government to take care of me.