Social constructivism vs Positivism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2012, 08:36 PM
RE: Social constructivism vs Positivism
Hey, fst.

Even if this is true, it doesn't negate social constructivism, it just extends it to other animals.

Crows are pretty remarkable. If they have higher cognitive ability it would be cool. I'm reasonably certain that they don't have anything even approaching syntactical language (and the advent of syntactical language really is the thing that changed everything for humans). But again, it says nothing about social constructivism.

There's a lot of information coming in about language ability in other animals. I'm very interested about it in terms of how it relates to memetic theory (the hows and whys of language evolution are pretty controversial, but I'm partial to the meme-gene co-evolution theory myself). But nothing even remotely suggests that other animals are where we are yet (even interesting things like bite-force have explained differences in brain capacity among primates).

If I ever wind up having a conversation with a crow about the nature of existence and the existential crisis that is finite life, then I'll smile pretty wide Cool

But I'll still be a social constructivist Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I was afraid this was going to happen it's going to boil down to subjectivity.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Hey, fst.

Sorry. What exactly is going to boil down to subjectivity? I don't understand what you mean.

Matt
01-01-2013, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 07:16 PM by fstratzero.)
What I mean is that to understand constructivism, it seems you have to start with the why in which words are subjectively assigned meanings in each persons mind, and how they interpret world. That is to say that each brain interprets sensory differently, from sight, smell, heat, pressure, color all differently.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
01-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Hey, fst.

Sorry, but the grammatical errors in that post made it impossible for me to follow your thought. Could you try again please?

Matt
01-01-2013, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 07:54 PM by fstratzero.)
(01-01-2013 07:05 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, fst.

Sorry, but the grammatical errors in that post made it impossible for me to follow your thought. Could you try again please?

Matt
yes

-Baron d'Holbach-
02-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Hey, fst.

OK. Please try again.

Matt
05-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Are there any mind independent objects in constructivism?

-Baron d'Holbach-
06-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey, fst.

Please make your questions a little more specific. It helps me answer more effectively if I know what I'm responding to. Right now I think I have it, but I may be misunderstanding your jargon.

I think the way to answer your question is this. Everything is mind independent.

I don't know If independent is the right word, because there's certainly a relationship; one of mediation. But as far as I know, the universe exists without the mind.

Everything IN your mind is a construction.

Matt
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
What other knowledge is viable, or as correct as science?

-Baron d'Holbach-