Social welfare as a way to undermine religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2012, 07:26 AM
RE: Social welfare as a way to undermine religion.
[Image: budget-2009-gov-chart-x-nationalprioriti...-x-442.jpg]

The prior year was not any different.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
That is just for discretionary spending. That chart doesn't even include entitlements.

This is how our 3.2 TRILLION dollar federal budget is spent.
[Image: federal%20spending.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Fun fact: Florence Nightingale invented the pie graph.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
(09-12-2012 07:37 AM)germanyt Wrote:  That is just for discretionary spending. That chart doesn't even include entitlements.

In the US 19% is spent on the military. In western European countries that is between 4% and 6%.
In the US 4,63% is spent on education. In western European countries that number is between 32% and 40%.

I.o.w. the US plans on rather achieving its imperialistic goals with military might than with education and science. If that doesn't scream out to you that the US have an entirely different attitude – a very aggressive attitude, totally borne out IRL by the last 70 years of history – than the rest of the world, germanyt, then I suggest you go see counsel.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Government spending is improving in where the money is concentrated, but we have a lot more work ahead of us.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
09-12-2012, 08:34 AM
(09-12-2012 08:06 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 07:37 AM)germanyt Wrote:  That is just for discretionary spending. That chart doesn't even include entitlements.

In the US 19% is spent on the military. In western European countries that is between 4% and 6%.
In the US 4,63% is spent on education. In western European countries that number is between 32% and 40%.

I.o.w. the US plans on rather achieving its imperialistic goals with military might than with education and science. If that doesn't scream out to you that the US have an entirely different attitude – a very aggressive attitude, totally borne out IRL by the last 70 years of history – than the rest of the world, germanyt, then I suggest you go see counsel.
Come again? I didn't suggest anything about our military spending. This thread is about entitlements/social programs. And we spend more money on it than a little bit.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
The wikipedia article Welfare in the United States gives a figure of 35% of gdp for social spending, which is roughly equivalent to what Western European countries spend. I am not sure whether the way that the money is spent is the same however. Another outlier to my theory is Ireland, which has a comprehensive welfare system yet remains a predominantly religious society. The logic behind the initial argument was that Churches, traditionally, were responsible for providing for the poor, and as long as there was a market of poor people needing support, church attendance would be strong. Church requires a cost of time and monetary donations, but being voluntary is harder to control. Social welfare is compulsory where instituded and provides the same services as the Church...therefore it seems logical that it would reduce the market for church attendance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2012, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 02:14 PM by amav.eram.)
(09-12-2012 05:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't think the coalition is between social spending and religion.

I think the coalition is between levels of education.
And hence a coalition between poverty levels. (poor tends to equal less educated and vise versa)

So, because there tends to be a coalition between education and poverty, it can then flow on to social spending in the sense that the government spends more (via welfare) on the poor.

ie: Look at New Zealand. The Maori and Islanders tend to be the more religious then whites.
Destiny Church for example, that cult is very religious but it's people associated with it are overwhelmingly poor compared to the general public.

I think interesting part of the world to look at would be East Europe. Ex-USSR countries may provide you with much more of the data you are looking for.

I will look into Eastern Europe...from my past involvement in Church, I am aware that Western christian movements are working very hard to "evangelise" both the former USSR and southern asia.
You may be correct that the primary factors are education and poverty...overall I am curious about what factors could be used to undermine religious movements.
It dumbfounds me that the poor buggers attending Destiny are willing to part with whatever sum of cash Dear Brian wants...they are not the only church that demands its members to pay a minimum of 10% gross income either
You know those signs they have in public parking lots that warn 'high theft area, lock your doors'...same signs should be placed in churches.
[+] 1 user Likes amav.eram's post
09-12-2012, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 03:21 PM by amav.eram.)
brian tamakiuffs' pid='216922' dateline='1355050826']

ie: Look at New Zealand. The Maori and Islanders tend to be the more religious then whites.
[/quote]

In the case of Islanders, since many are first generation and have migrated from nations with very poor economies, it is logical that they would remain quite religious. It would be interesting however to look at their NZ born children and whether they are any less religious.

In the case of Maori, as much as Christianity is integrated into their tribal system, how many maori do you see going to church, instead of joining Black Power/mongrel mob? I would say not a lot.
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:In the case of Islanders, since many are first generation and have migrated from nations with very poor economies, it is logical that they would remain quite religious. It would be interesting however to look at their NZ born children and whether they are any less religious.

In the case of Maori, as much as Christianity is integrated into their tribal system, how many maori do you see going to church, instead of joining Black Power/mongrel mob? I would say not a lot.

The last census, which was waaaaaaaay back in 2007 (because the Census building was in the red zone...) shows that people between the ages of 18-25, 50% claim no religion. No doubt it will be higher now.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]