Social welfare as a way to undermine religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 04:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Social welfare as a way to undermine religion.
(08-12-2012 03:51 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 12:24 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  So with a population that is, what 76% christian...does that mean that most of america is poor and badly educated? I think not...
Yes, that is precisely what it means. America has one of the worst, ineffective education systems in the western world.

Not true. We have the best post-secondary educational institutions in the world as evidenced by the fact that so many of our grad schools are inundated with foreign nationals. Hell, I work with one grad school group in Comp Sci at UIUC that consists entirely of a dozen little girls from the PRC and 1 white guy from the US. The white guy don't scare me none, but those little fucking Chinese girls who are way smarter than me sure as shit do. Shocking

Of course this same observation can also be turned around as a comment on the US's elementary and secondary educational systems. Consider

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
According to the OECD, the United States is currently ranked 33 in reading, and did not even make it in the top 35 in mathematics or science. Its world education ranking is still in decline. If the United States' education system is not the worst, it is rapidly becoming one of the worst.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
08-12-2012, 06:49 PM
(08-12-2012 12:39 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  I also think that most people will believe in whatever will help them get food...reason why communism works so well.

Like in the DPRK, you mean?
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
08-12-2012, 07:02 PM
(08-12-2012 05:29 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  According to the OECD, the United States is currently ranked 33 in reading, and did not even make it in the top 35 in mathematics or science. Its world education ranking is still in decline. If the United States' education system is not the worst, it is rapidly becoming one of the worst.

Then why does the world keep coming here for Graduate School?

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
08-12-2012, 08:01 PM
(08-12-2012 07:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 05:29 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  According to the OECD, the United States is currently ranked 33 in reading, and did not even make it in the top 35 in mathematics or science. Its world education ranking is still in decline. If the United States' education system is not the worst, it is rapidly becoming one of the worst.

In my experience, very few do anymore.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
08-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I didn't read any replies but I would say no, that there cannot be a correlation between social spending and religiosity. Plenty of countries are highly religious and non religious and have substantial social spending. The US spends a ton on social programs and has high religious affiliation. Sweden also has high social spending and has low religious affiliation.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
(08-12-2012 07:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

It's not about the level of education.
It's about the experience of learning over seas. Often it's English as well.
It looks good to employees back in their home country if they have experience in an English speaking country.

It's why all the Chinese come here.

Plus It's about the little certificate at the end of it, not the actually knowledge involved that encourage people to go to university.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
(08-12-2012 08:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  The US spends a ton on social programs

Penitentiaries aren't social programs.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
(08-12-2012 08:43 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 08:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  The US spends a ton on social programs

Penitentiaries aren't social programs.
What? Are you disputing the fact that the US spends an absurd amount of money on social programs?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
(08-12-2012 08:58 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 08:43 PM)Janus Wrote:  Penitentiaries aren't social programs.
What? Are you disputing the fact that the US spends an absurd amount of money on social programs?

It's a matter of perspective.
And you need to compare apples with apples. So absolute amounts are irrelevant. Relative percentages of GDP, or spendings per thousand tell a whole different story when compared to, say, Scandinavia, Finland, the low countries, Germany, Austria, or Switzerland.