Socialautopsy.com Good idea or Bad idea?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Question Socialautopsy.com Good idea or Bad idea?
So I came across this little project on kickstarter.

And i was wondering what your thoughts were on this project. They want to keep a searchable database of social media, tweets etc that runs on anonymous submissions, using peoples real names.

The "evidence" and i use that word loosely, would be vetted and collated by the people working there, based solely on criteria they decide.

There system of recourse is very poorly defined in my opinion, the criteria they intend to use is vaguely defined, and the means of collection seems to be open to abuse.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: Socialautopsy.com Good idea or Bad idea?
They seem a bit vague, well meaning and convinced that they're doing good.

In other words terrifying.

Run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
14-04-2016, 01:26 PM
They want to turn the internet into a virtual "safe space" where everyone is protected from the big meanies. Like the nerd in 2nd grade that went and told the teacher every time they got picked on. People continue to become more pussified every day. The same lame babies that need safe spaces and protection from bullies are the same lame babies that have no problem getting together and bullying anyone that they disagree with. They want free speech but only their free speech.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
14-04-2016, 03:06 PM
An application to filter comments on your personnal computer isn't a bad idea. Cyber-bullying as already made some casualties, some people will want to benefit from. A database capturing the actions of potential cyber-bullies is pointless. Especially one without any sort of search engins. It could have been a nice tool for law enforcement agency who would like to amass proof of online harassment or hatefull propaganda. To me, this project seems pointless and from that Kickstarter I can't see any use for potential victims.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
14-04-2016, 03:38 PM
(14-04-2016 03:06 PM)epronovost Wrote:  An application to filter comments on your personnal computer isn't a bad idea. Cyber-bullying as already made some casualties, some people will want to benefit from. A database capturing the actions of potential cyber-bullies is pointless. Especially one without any sort of search engins. It could have been a nice tool for law enforcement agency who would like to amass proof of online harassment or hatefull propaganda. To me, this project seems pointless and from that Kickstarter I can't see any use for potential victims.

They will have the database searchable, but only with the full name and surname of the person in it. So if you upset someone who would take the time to mock up a fake profile with your name, and then submit that to them it will be available to anyone who searches that name.

It just seems to be a vehicle for silencing anyone who may have a contrary opinion, as the submitted person receives no notification that the information is even uploaded, you would have to prove that you did not do what you are accused of, and often after you have experienced negative consequences of this site.

It being on the surface web it would also be open to google searches and any number of other online search engines. Hell they have already been found to have pictures of Hitler uploaded to them. So their vetting can't be all that good. their security is negligible and one of the examples they use in their video is a fake news report. Chis Chandler is alive and well to this day, so their research standards also can't be that good.

I'll end with this lovely quote

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
[+] 3 users Like Blackhand293's post
14-04-2016, 04:10 PM
(14-04-2016 03:38 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 03:06 PM)epronovost Wrote:  An application to filter comments on your personnal computer isn't a bad idea. Cyber-bullying as already made some casualties, some people will want to benefit from. A database capturing the actions of potential cyber-bullies is pointless. Especially one without any sort of search engins. It could have been a nice tool for law enforcement agency who would like to amass proof of online harassment or hatefull propaganda. To me, this project seems pointless and from that Kickstarter I can't see any use for potential victims.

They will have the database searchable, but only with the full name and surname of the person in it. So if you upset someone who would take the time to mock up a fake profile with your name, and then submit that to them it will be available to anyone who searches that name.

It just seems to be a vehicle for silencing anyone who may have a contrary opinion, as the submitted person receives no notification that the information is even uploaded, you would have to prove that you did not do what you are accused of, and often after you have experienced negative consequences of this site.

It being on the surface web it would also be open to google searches and any number of other online search engines. Hell they have already been found to have pictures of Hitler uploaded to them. So their vetting can't be all that good. their security is negligible and one of the examples they use in their video is a fake news report. Chis Chandler is alive and well to this day, so their research standards also can't be that good.

I'll end with this lovely quote

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

I think we both agree that this project is bad. It will in no way prevent online harassment or bullying neither will it reduce it.

In my opinion, it even underestimate one of the core characteristic of online bullies and stalkers. They aren't ashamed of their actions. They don't think, for example, that spamming homophobic insults on a gay teenager blog is reprehensible. Keeping a record of their action online for someone else to see is like posting a serial killer photo on the front page of a newspaper. They could actually love it. They could brag about «the little faggot» who couldn't handle a few «jokes» who thought that posting their insults on some website would help them.

The best this site could afford to do is to attempt to intimidate «bullies» (or even give new tools to some clever bullies like you mentioned earlier). It's a bit like fighting terror with terror. It's a very stupid idea.

In my opinion, if you want to reduce cases of online harassments, hate filled propaganda and cyber-bullying, the only solution remains education. If people were better at communicating in a civil manner in public spaces we would be in a much better situation.

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
14-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Looks like it's been suspended by kickstarter. I have no clue as to what they are trying to do. Build a database of self-reporting online bullies? Victims? What?

#sigh
14-04-2016, 04:41 PM
(14-04-2016 04:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like it's been suspended by kickstarter. I have no clue as to what they are trying to do. Build a database of self-reporting online bullies? Victims? What?

Oh my, looks like the backlash to their idea got Kickstarter to pull it. The idea was to create a database of "social and online bullying" with anonymous reporting. So others would run to them and tattle tale.

14-04-2016, 07:16 PM
(14-04-2016 04:41 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 04:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like it's been suspended by kickstarter. I have no clue as to what they are trying to do. Build a database of self-reporting online bullies? Victims? What?

Oh my, looks like the backlash to their idea got Kickstarter to pull it. The idea was to create a database of "social and online bullying" with anonymous reporting. So others would run to them and tattle tale.

Come to think of it, could this be a hoax? The project is so poorly thought out that it could very well be one in my opinion...

14-04-2016, 08:31 PM
(14-04-2016 07:16 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 04:41 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  Oh my, looks like the backlash to their idea got Kickstarter to pull it. The idea was to create a database of "social and online bullying" with anonymous reporting. So others would run to them and tattle tale.

Come to think of it, could this be a hoax? The project is so poorly thought out that it could very well be one in my opinion...

A very expensive and elaborate hoax. the first 100 or so profiles they have on their site are linked to real people, and all their information is but one google search away. According to their twitter there is an announcement coming on the 15th but their site keeps going down.