Society And Physical Abuse

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-05-2014, 02:42 PM
RE: Society And Physical Abuse
(28-05-2014 01:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's the remnant of sexism.

Long as you push people into stereotypes because of gender, you're going to have these issues.

People are people, and they all can have all human traits. Gender has nothing to do with it.

While I agree people are people with human traits....but gender does play a strong role that can't really be dismissed. In fact most issues began when people tried to pretend they were exactly the same.

Personally I'm most attracted to a man who dares to treat me like a woman, and not like another one of the guys.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-05-2014, 02:49 PM
(28-05-2014 02:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Long as you push people into stereotypes because of gender, you're going to have these issues.

People are people, and they all can have all human traits. Gender has nothing to do with it.

While I agree people are people with human traits....but gender does play a strong role that can't really be dismissed. In fact most issues began when people tried to pretend they were exactly the same.

Personally I'm most attracted to a man who dares to treat me like a woman, and not like another one of the guys.

Yabut thats considering that the women acts as such. And I certainly enjoy treating a women as a women, but once the line is crossed, all bets are off.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
28-05-2014, 03:04 PM
(28-05-2014 02:49 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 02:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  While I agree people are people with human traits....but gender does play a strong role that can't really be dismissed. In fact most issues began when people tried to pretend they were exactly the same.

Yabut thats considering that the women acts as such. And I certainly enjoy treating a women as a women, but once the line is crossed, all bets are off.

Where is your line drawn?

I've never hit anyone. I have yelled at my husband, but he rarely yells back. But I guess our relationship is very different from most people.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-05-2014, 03:08 PM
A perfect display of an absolutely atrocious double-standard still prevalent in society today.

This is part of the reason I prefer not to label myself as a feminist even though I support the goals of feminism and have looked into gender study topics. It's not a problem with the core belief of feminism so much as what has successfully managed to pass itself off as "feminist." Nobody knows anymore from the label alone whether describing yourself as a feminist entails equal support for both (or all) genders, sole focus on women's issues, or flat-out misandry.

The general reactions displayed in the video show a society that is keenly aware on female issues, but blindly willing to assume male stereotypes, a manifestation of the second "interpretation" of feminist thought. Now, solely focusing on women's issues for the purpose of equalizing social positioning was perfectly acceptable back in feminism's early days because women were leagues behind men in virtually every aspect of social, economic, and political capital. As of now, woman have not quite yet managed to hurdle over every institutional and societal inequity, but such significant progress has been made to close the gap that it's a far more even-handed situation than it was a century ago. Therefore, consolidating all effort into just one gender's problem areas is done at the expense of the other's. Women have secured more advantaged positions on certain aspects of society, men still dominate certain institutions and socio-economic functions, and other facets have more or less been evened-out between the two. You can't just lambast about how women are still objectified icons of submissive servitude, but then accept the stereotype of men as the default aggressors in all scenarios, and then somehow expect the gender relations to balance out into equilibrium.

Maybe we should invent a new term that stands in for the exact same core values of feminism, but that can't possibly have its label so viciously and easily distorted. Something like "equitable gender support" or "equi-genderism" for short.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
28-05-2014, 03:10 PM
(28-05-2014 03:08 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  A perfect display of an absolutely atrocious double-standard still prevalent in society today.

This is part of the reason I prefer not to label myself as a feminist even though I support the goals of feminism and have looked into gender study topics. It's not a problem with the core belief of feminism so much as what has successfully managed to pass itself off as "feminist." Nobody knows anymore from the label alone whether describing yourself as a feminist entails equal support for both (or all) genders, sole focus on women's issues, or flat-out misandry.

The general reactions displayed in the video show a society that is keenly aware on female issues, but blindly willing to assume male stereotypes, a manifestation of the second "interpretation" of feminist thought. Now, solely focusing on women's issues for the purpose of equalizing social positioning was perfectly acceptable back in feminism's early days because women were leagues behind men in virtually every aspect of social, economic, and political capital. As of now, woman have not quite yet managed to hurdle over every institutional and societal inequity, but such significant progress has been made to close the gap that it's a far more even-handed situation than it was a century ago. Therefore, consolidating all effort into just one gender's problem areas is done at the expense of the other's. Women have secured more advantaged positions on certain aspects of society, men still dominate certain institutions and socio-economic functions, and other facets have more or less been evened-out between the two. You can't just lambast about how women are still objectified icons of submissive servitude, but then accept the stereotype of men as the default aggressors in all scenarios, and then somehow expect the gender relations to balance out into equilibrium.

Maybe we should invent a new term that stands in for the exact same core values of feminism, but that can't possibly have its label so viciously and easily distorted. Something like "equitable gender support" or "equi-genderism" for short.

Secular Humanist? Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-05-2014, 03:13 PM
(28-05-2014 02:20 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  

It's a remnant of Feminism. Female on male violence is completely unexpected in the standard feminist narrative of the evil patriarchy and the victimized females.

You are sooo wrong!

Before feminism no man would ever have come forth to admit that his lady beat the crap out of him. Feminism freed both genders, and it hasn't gone far enough yet. When both genders are finally equal (and we are slowly getting there, equal pay for equal work is still amiss) then it should take less than a generation for actual equality to take place.

Why do these things always take generations to complete, and by the time they are done the causes are forgotten because a younger generation has taken over and thinks things have always been that way?

Would you like to go back to when women couldn't vote or work except in a few select, low pay jobs and men had to be responsible for everything? You wanna bet your sweet ass that no man would ever have admitted to being abused back then? You sucked it up and went to work and provided for your family.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-05-2014, 03:16 PM
(28-05-2014 03:08 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  A perfect display of an absolutely atrocious double-standard still prevalent in society today.

Gender equality.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-05-2014, 03:17 PM
(28-05-2014 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 02:49 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Yabut thats considering that the women acts as such. And I certainly enjoy treating a women as a women, but once the line is crossed, all bets are off.

Where is your line drawn?

I've never hit anyone. I have yelled at my husband, but he rarely yells back. But I guess our relationship is very different from most people.

My line is drawn at physical violence or weapons being brought into the mix.

Yelling and word calling dont matter.

Actually, my wife got so pissed at me (long time ago) that she threw a heavy ashtray at me, I ducked and it hit the wall... I just looked at the hole and said "guess you need to fix that tomorrow" and walked off. She never did throw anything at me again.

Yet, before, in a different life, I've had knives pulled on me, guns cocked and pointed at my head, and have been punched by women so hard, that I saw stars. Yeah, those didnt end well for the "ladies".

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
28-05-2014, 03:18 PM
(28-05-2014 03:10 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Secular Humanist? Drinking Beverage

Good point.

28-05-2014, 03:21 PM
(28-05-2014 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Gender equality.

Yes, but I was thinking more of a personal label, as in "I'm an equi-genderist."

Gotta make it sound more pretentious. Tongue